Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#243585 - 03/22/12 04:50 AM Re: Tinder that takes a spark: options? [Re: Mark_M]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Mark, you may want to read this about weber cubes

http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43957

#243587 - 03/22/12 06:15 AM Re: Tinder that takes a spark: options? [Re: Mark_M]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: Mark_M
What is the advantage of using something other than PJ cotton balls? Is it burn time for dealing with wet tinder? I never have a problem getting one lit from a spark, and they burn well for around 5 minutes.

Cotton is very cheap and it works well. The Weber stuff does have a few things going for it. First, it seems to be utterly non-hygroscopic; you can soak it in water indefinitely with no ill effects. I don't think you can get enough PJ into cotton to duplicate this trick, and if you could it would probably very difficult to light. Weber also burns very hot; it seems to me hotter than a PJ cotton ball but I've not actually measured the temps (no IR thermometer). Weber cubes are also easier to light (depending on how you make your PJ cotton).

Another cool thing is that you can scrape off just a little if you don't need a whole cube. You can also put out a block that's burning and reuse it later. It's instantly cool to the touch, just like WetFire.

#243599 - 03/22/12 07:19 PM Re: Tinder that takes a spark: options? [Re: Teslinhiker]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Taurus
Birch bark catches a spark well if shaved into thin strips. Pine resin also works great. If you combine both you have natural tinder as good as it gets.

Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
Pine resin and old man's beard are all great fire tinder materials and I always have good results with either.

I also use my firesteel as much as possible if only just for the practice just in case I ever need it in a real survival situation. This particular steel has had quite a bit of use over the years and is due to be replaced before this year's outdoor adventures are in full stride.

Ditto X 2? X 3? Doesn't matter. I agree!

I carry PJ cotton balls, at a minimum. They are extremely dependable but I like having options, especially natural ones, and those take practice. Besides, it's fun! wink

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#243615 - 03/22/12 10:21 PM Re: Tinder that takes a spark: options? [Re: haertig]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Does Tinder Quik seem to have an indefinite shelf-life?

#243622 - 03/23/12 12:29 AM Re: Tinder that takes a spark: options? [Re: ireckon]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Yes
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#243638 - 03/23/12 05:48 AM Re: Tinder that takes a spark: options? [Re: haertig]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Yeah, seems to. At worst case, even if whatever-they-use was to "evaporate" off, it would still be woven cotton.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.