Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#243689 - 03/23/12 08:07 PM Re: Urban Carry Recommendation [Re: ]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Snake_Doctor
I hear you Jac. I'm beat up from the life I've lived and the professions I chose. My hands and knee have arthritis and my back has problems from a jump gone bad. Wieght distribution does help when carrying loads, especially all day. If you have a sternum strap they make small sternum packs to carry immediate essentials and help distribute the wieght. My FAK is in a red pouch purchase at walgreens for $10 if I remember correctly. Of course I rebuilt it and it's considerably heavier now. The vertical fanny pack I mentioned could be worn flet to your back and should help with the center of gravity, as well as be more secure and not flop about if you have to chase your little one.

Thanks Snake! Getting old's tough, isn't it?

I'll definitely check that pack out. Many thanks!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#243690 - 03/23/12 08:15 PM Re: Urban Carry Recommendation [Re: ]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

Izzy: Nice bag. Would you share a contents list with us?

#243691 - 03/23/12 08:17 PM Re: Urban Carry Recommendation [Re: ]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
I've decided to go more "normal" in how I choose to carry my urban EDC. Being tactical draws too much attention.

Prior to my exposure to tactical bags I was a Timbuk2 'Medium Messenger' and 'Commute" bag user. I've since sold them.

Fortunately some years ago I bought from L.L. Bean their "Sunwashed Messenger Bag." It's since been discontinued and replaced with a more traditional looking model. But they did bring back a similar design to what I have, but call it the "Sea Washed Messenger" if I recall correct.

Pictures for your enjoyment and inspiration.

I treated the canvas with a silicone based sealant. So it's now water-repellent.

Thanks, Izzy. That's a nice looking bag! (I had a diaper bag once that was kinda similar bit not nearly as stylish. It looked like, well, a diaper bag.) I could see swapping my EDC purse for the LL Bean one.

#243693 - 03/23/12 08:21 PM Re: Urban Carry Recommendation [Re: acropolis5]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: acropolis5
Give some consideration to The North Face Mountain Lumbar Pack. ~365cu. in. inside storage. You can comfortably wear it on your waist, you can add shoulder "strapettes" from other manufacturers, or ( by buckleing the waist belt) wear it on your one shoulder or even slung overhead and one shoulder, like a sling bag. The built in water bottle pockets are very secure. I've attached another small belt type pouch, to the built in straps that let you carry a shell. If you shoulder it, you can also attach a cellphone or other yoke type pocket. Finally, you can slide a multitool/flashlight holster onto the waist belt. Believe it or not, based upon my own experience, its very versatile, non-tactical and low profile, even in NYC, especially in black.

Thanks Acroplis. I'll check that out. I think a shoulder strap might be key to the fanny pack approach for me. Water bottle holders that hold them securely is another. No water bottle I've used, they all fallen out of the water bottle holder on my Obus Forme fanny pack. I hooked em up to a carribeaner but that didn't fix the problem. They still swung and flopped and drove me nuts!

#243694 - 03/23/12 08:22 PM Re: Urban Carry Recommendation [Re: acropolis5]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: acropolis5
Izzy: Nice bag. Would you share a contents list with us?

Yes please. :-)

#243709 - 03/23/12 09:10 PM Re: Urban Carry Recommendation [Re: ]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

'Oh, what have I done?!"

This place is like pure evil heaven! ETS, and Gurus like you, Izzy, create monst... I mean addic ... i mean ETSers at an astonishing rate. And I, for one, thank you all for it!

#243713 - 03/23/12 10:35 PM Re: Urban Carry Recommendation [Re: ]
Jolt Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Maine
If you'd rather have a small backpack than a fanny pack or need a little more capacity, the Black Diamond Magnum daypack (a little over 1000 ci) is nice...I just picked one up for trail running and day hikes and am pleased with it. I am finding myself using it for other general outings as well. It has a webbing waist belt and sternum strap for stability which is good for running, but even with just the shoulder straps it doesn't seem to bounce around too much even for someone my size (short and skinny). And it just looks like a normal day pack that anyone might carry while out and about.

#243714 - 03/23/12 10:45 PM Re: Urban Carry Recommendation [Re: Dagny]
Jolt Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Maine
Originally Posted By: Dagny
My favorite pack for around the city is:

REI Flash 18 Pack $34 - super light rucksack, fun colors (but also stealthy black), I carry a 32 oz water bottle inside mine

http://www.rei.com/product/827110/rei-flash-18-pack

They recently had the older model on sale for $20 but these new ones are still a deal at $34. I abuse mine and they hold up great.

-

I had thought about getting that pack but then saw the torso length it's designed for...would not have worked well for me at all!

#243715 - 03/23/12 11:39 PM Re: Urban Carry Recommendation [Re: Jolt]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Jolt
If you'd rather have a small backpack than a fanny pack or need a little more capacity, the Black Diamond Magnum daypack (a little over 1000 ci) is nice...I just picked one up for trail running and day hikes and am pleased with it. I am finding myself using it for other general outings as well. It has a webbing waist belt and sternum strap for stability which is good for running, but even with just the shoulder straps it doesn't seem to bounce around too much even for someone my size (short and skinny). And it just looks like a normal day pack that anyone might carry while out and about.

Thanks Jolt. I'll check it out. It sounds about just the right size and if you use it while running it will probably work well for me when riding.

#243735 - 03/24/12 04:09 AM Re: Urban Carry Recommendation [Re: Mark_R]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Mark_R
It sounds like you need a plain old rucksack with a sternum strap or a messenger bag with a stabilizer strap. My only caveat while on pavement is to avoid anything with to many outside compartments that can be accessed by someone else without your knowledge. I usually gravitate toward a tote, satchel, or ruck for carrying stuff on pavement, but I'm also just walking. I like the convenience of a messenger/sling bag, but I can't tolerate any pressure against the side of my neck.

Thanks Mark! I am partial to packs with two shoulder straps and, in this case, it wouldn't be out of place as long I keep it civilian.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.