The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#24352 - 02/16/04 03:11 PM Re: need help buying a good radio
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
You'll find that for receivers, if you want shortwave, you have to give up something else, or be willing to pay ALOT of money. For example, amateur radio radio's, that do the HF bands, VHF and UHF are upwards of $800 or more. There are a few scanners out there that will do almost anything above 29Mhz (just above the CB band) to the 1300Mzh (of course, excluding cellular, because people are just ignorant when it comes to wireless technology. *on soap box Hmm...should I give out my PIN number to my husband over the cellular? NO because a little law isn't going to stop a criminal from using so-called pre-ban scanners or old 1970's TV receivers! Don't worry it will all soon be covered under the Patriot Act.. *off soap box*). These scanners can cost over $400

You're best bet is to buy the shortwave radio mentioned, and then go and get yourself a base or handheld Trunktracker-type scanner (about $200). The trunktacker is useful if you want to listed to the Trunked Radio Systems that most governments now use. If you're not interested in following a TRS (i.e. you're in a rural area), you can get yourself a plain scanner that will cover the same frequency range, without trunktracking, for about $50. With the shortwave/AM/FM, and the scanner, you'll cover practically everything. Most scanners now adays have the weather channels in them, and some even have "service scans" that allow you to search all frequencies that are normally assigned to a particular service (i.e. public safety).

As for wind up radio's, those I believe are mostly the shortwave and AM/FM variety. You're best bet is probably just stock up on ALOT of batteries, and restrict your usage of the receivers to pre-determined times, like the top and bottom of the hour.

Wind up TV's? That's probably a novelty item, or very specialized. I didn't find much on Google. This is probably the closest, and best thing you'll get. Takes AA, which is the size of the batteries in the radio scanner, and probably in the shortwave.

#24353 - 02/17/04 04:11 AM Re: need help buying a good radio
NY RAT Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: brooklyn, ny
thanks for everyones help on this so far.
im pretty green on some of these topics and trying not to make too mistakes as i go.

and i guess the crank tv was just a dream, heh.

Edited by NY RAT (02/17/04 07:37 AM)

#24354 - 02/17/04 01:55 PM Re: need help buying a good radio
Anonymous
Unregistered

Another vote for the Grundig. I liked it so much that I bought the much larger the Grundig Satellit 800 for my "house" radio.

#24355 - 02/18/04 02:20 PM Re: need help buying a good radio
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
The only way to learn is by making mistakes. These mistakes should be done in "training" or discussions, which this board conviently provides.

As for using the radio's, you might want to do further research and determine which frequencies are going to be useful to you in an emergency. i.e. weather service, local, state, federal and amateur emergency frequencies. Do realize though, that most really "good" emergency information is going to be passed over the phone or face-to-face. Only the really bad urgent stuff will be over a radio.

#24356 - 02/22/04 11:20 AM Re: Antenna ????
Anonymous
Unregistered

G'day mate, Are you sure the radio in using the internal feriote rod for short wave reception.

If so, that is very strange and unique.

Cheer's Glen
Coordinator
Victoria Emergency Program Communications

#24357 - 03/28/04 04:19 AM Re: need help buying a good radio
NY RAT Offline
Enthusiast

ok i went ahead and bought the kaito radio i described before, and i gotta say im pretty disappointed.

the am/fm reception is normal but the sw bands are horrible, then again i do live in new york so maybe i hoped for too much in the sw area.

well for any who care i dont recommend this radio.
the crank is pretty loud compared to my smaller radio and the duration of the charge is short lived and i think pathetic.

i cranked it for about 3-5 mins and it still lit up the low power light in no time.

the only positive note is that i paid less then full price for it.

i guess ill buy the grundig then soon, and hope ohters learn from my mistake.

#24358 - 03/29/04 08:16 AM Re: need help buying a good radio
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here's one I have been considering that seems pretty cool - a bit more money, but based on the write-ups I've seen, an above average product that appears to have all of the bases covered.

InfoMate Radio

#24359 - 04/10/04 09:08 AM Re: need help buying a good radio
paulr Offline
Addict

I really wouldn't waste money or bag space on a crank radio for a BOB. A crank radio is for spending 5 years in the jungle or something. A normal pocket radio will run for several days straight on a couple of AAA or AA cells, way more than you're likely to need in a bugout situation (i.e. at a couple hours of listening per day, a small pack of batteries will last you for weeks). I'd say just get a small broadcast radio, don't worry about weather and police bands. I have a couple of the dirt cheap FM-only earphone radios from Walgreens (two for $5.00) and they're enough for picking up local news broadcasts, which would have been plenty for staying informed during the NY blackout. They weigh just a couple ounces. Sony has a much nicer one with AM/FM/TV bands, digital tuning display, and runs on one AAA cell, for about $30, so that's the higher class alternative.

#24360 - 05/01/04 09:09 PM Re: need help buying a good radio
paulr Offline
Addict

FYI: Countycomm now has a 2AAA-powered AM-FM radio for $5.00:

http://www.countycomm.com/AMFMSLIMRADIO.htm

I think this would be good for a BOB if you like AAA batteries, especially if your other electrical BOB stuff can be powered with them too (flashlights/headlamps, FRS radios, whatever). This is a pocket sized radio but not ultra-miniature. It's handy in that it has a speaker, so you don't have to listen through headphones, it's easier for several people to listen at once. I got interested in very small radios because I wanted to EDC one when travelling, in case something happened, and earphone radios are the smallest. But for a BOB that you only carry when you need it, I think pocket radios are sized ok.

FWIW, during the East Coast blackout last summer, all flashlights were immediately bought up from all the stores and all the D cells and most of the AA cells were bought up too, but AAA and C cells were plentiful. So that's a point in favor of AAA power. Of course it should also be possible to hook up an external C or D cell holder to any of these small radios, to have a tremendous amount of runtime.

Edit: I should add, the Sony radio mentioned in the last post is the SRF-M37V, which someone asked about. Besides AM, FM, and TV, it also has the weather band, which might be useful. Most news broadcasts do include weather reports though, especially if the weather is doing something interesting.

#24361 - 05/02/04 06:21 AM Re: need help buying a good radio
NY RAT Offline
Enthusiast

cool radions, i might get both for under $20.
did you get either of those radios?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.