Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#243425 - 03/20/12 08:09 AM Wally World also carrying Celox!
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I noticed while I was perusing the camping stuff that WM carries Celox (the 2 g packages) now. They have two different forms, a small FAK with one x 2 g pack and a small box of two x 2 g packs. The price isn't outrageous, about $6.50 IIRC for the 2 pack. I forget the price of the small FAK but it's packaged in a pretty slick little hinged plastic container that looks like it could be repurposed for many different applications.

I've used the 2 g packages and the stuff has worked well for me.

#243448 - 03/20/12 12:56 PM Re: Wally World also carrying Celox! [Re: Phaedrus]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

I think the FAK is $10 or $11. What is Celox? Sorry, just a big dumb country boy. Not familiar with it. Thanks/

#243466 - 03/20/12 03:38 PM Re: Wally World also carrying Celox! [Re: Phaedrus]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

You know, for years I have marveled at what Wal-Mart represents, and I mean that in a good way. Lots of people like to rag on Wally World but I ask you, where else in the world can you walk into a retail outlet located in places like Podunkville and buy:

- guns
- ammo
- GPS technology
- night vision monoculars
- laser rangefinders
- Celox products
- plus diapers, Metamucil, and Beyonce's latest CD

I love the USA!

BTW Izzy, I like your new blog format. "All YouTube videos all the time" was getting old.

#243472 - 03/20/12 04:00 PM Re: Wally World also carrying Celox! [Re: ]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Thanks Izzy. You mean Blood Stopper and Quick Clot. Duh. I knew when i hit my head in the barn something wasn't right. The powder works well but the patches are faster and less messy. Strange no allergies have been found, my ex could just look at shrimp in a cook book and would swell up and get hives. Lol. Thanks again. And call me Snake. Everyone else does.

Edited by Snake_Doctor (03/20/12 04:01 PM)

#243483 - 03/20/12 04:24 PM Re: Wally World also carrying Celox! [Re: ]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

An excellent blood stopper can be made of dried and powdered horse tail which you can find growing along ditches in the southwest. Instant clotting on even a gusher. And evening of primrose found in the same place makes a cough syrup which rivals codiene based ones for effectiveness.

#243507 - 03/20/12 08:39 PM Re: Wally World also carrying Celox! [Re: ]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
I did a blog post about this several days ago.

http://thefloridasteampunker.blogspot.com/2012/03/wal-mart-selling-quick-seal-outdoor.html

Snake_Doctor, Celox is one of the name brands for a clotting agent used in the military and civilian industries to stop blood loss. Celox specifically is made from a strimp by-product, but no known allergies have been found. I'm surprised you're not familiar with it. Celox is one of the brands that the Marines and a few other military branches and foreign militaries use.

Actually, the DoD has moved to combat gauze, an impregnated Kerlix-type of bandage. The granules have several issues in the military setting (probably not the civilian as much)
- getting the granules to the site of blood loss is difficult the deeper you go. Hard to keep "gravel" on the end of a gushing hose, you know?
- the granules have been known to migrate and cause embolisms down the road.

I'm actually taking a course this week on trauma care; I'll see if I can add anything more to this.

#243528 - 03/21/12 04:07 AM Re: Wally World also carrying Celox! [Re: MDinana]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: MDinana
Actually, the DoD has moved to combat gauze, an impregnated Kerlix-type of bandage. The granules have several issues in the military setting (probably not the civilian as much)

Isn't this a conflation of various pieces of true, yet not exactly related, data?

It is accurate that DoD has standardized on Combat Gauze. However it was WoundStat, not Celox, that was shown to cause problems with emboli. Celox has performed very well in both testing and real applications; I am aware of no blemishes on its record.

I carry Combat Gauze myself but I would not turn down Celox if it was an option.

#243533 - 03/21/12 04:35 AM Re: Wally World also carrying Celox! [Re: MDinana]
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

Loc: Arizona
Originally Posted By: MDinana

- getting the granules to the site of blood loss is difficult the deeper you go. Hard to keep "gravel" on the end of a gushing hose, you know?
- the granules have been known to migrate and cause embolisms down the road.

Specifically, it was WoundStat that was causing secondary emboli not Celox. I have heard of no cases of Celox having this issues, it is probably the safety of all the hemostatics available. The biggest issue with loose granules of any kind is that the tend to end up anywhere except the wound (and this is the primary reason CoTCCC recommends only gauze based hemostatics). Hemostatic gauze is easier to apply and keep in the wound.

From research and personal experience using multiple hemostatic agents, I have Celox of some form in all my IFAKs (mostly gauze and the new Z-fold.).

I have attached below two protocols for bleeding control. Basically, the best practice is to use hemostatics when direct pressure doesn't work and a tourniquet can't be used (or is ineffective).

(note: the "no" beneath "massive uncontroled bleeding" should be a "yes")

Edited by Alan_Romania (03/21/12 04:35 AM)

#243537 - 03/21/12 05:58 AM Re: Wally World also carrying Celox! [Re: Phaedrus]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Celox is indeed very safe. I use the granules but also bandages and gauze.

#243549 - 03/21/12 12:53 PM Re: Wally World also carrying Celox! [Re: Phaedrus]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I carry Celox-A specifically for penetrating trauma where bleeding cannot be controlled via direct pressure or a tourniquet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 449 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.