Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#243482 - 03/20/12 04:19 PM Re: Cart before the horse? [Re: gonewiththewind]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Care to share your list of your air travel PSK?

#243511 - 03/20/12 09:19 PM Re: Cart before the horse? [Re: Phaedrus]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
maybe I should decide what items I feel I need for the estimated level or risk, then choose a pack to accomodate said stuff. Brilliant or comically obvious? blush laugh
i will not take credit for the following for i do not remember where i first read it, but when you pack you need to remember to pack some room. seems simple enough, and it works for me.

#243518 - 03/20/12 11:33 PM Re: Cart before the horse? [Re: hikermor]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Pretty soon there will be a formal medical description of ETS syndrome - the incessant and continual need to accumulate containers, mostly small pocket size, and stuff them full. I am a victim, and you guys are to blame!

I used to like be that, then suddenly I despised having everything in small PSK type tins and just started keeping the essentials in my pockets. Now I don't know how I ever liked the tin/container thing to begin with.

I guess it was kinda like a small hobby. I would spend hours fitting everything in a tin JUUUUUST right. Then dump it all out and take pictures of each layer so I wouldn't forget what was in the dammed thing, Then I would try it in a different way, or in a differernt tin,(insert hysterical laughter) then make another list because I forgot something, Then seal it with tape, then un-seal it because I forgot I could tape a sewing needle to the inside of the lid. I should have realised from an early stage that I would never get it right. It was just too dammed fun to keep trying.

In real world use however....Oh boy. I found it such and impractical pain in the a** that I just stopped doing it. Cold,wet and tired and trying to make everything fit back inside the tin after taking something out of it just wasn't as fun as it was at my work bench. Crap falling out, snow and rain getting inside, leaves, bending lids, Sigh........

As much as I hate PSKs just talking about it makes me want to try another one.

#243519 - 03/20/12 11:57 PM Re: Cart before the horse? [Re: Phaedrus]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Year one of ets exposure: altoid tin psk.
Year two: 2 altoid tin, psk and fak.
Year three: add third tin for fire starter kit
Year four: pants fall to ground due to psk pocket carry: acquire vest.
Year five: vest proves to be repellent to opposite gender. abandon in favor of rucksack. Psk now weighs sixteen pounds.
Year six: rucksack weight affects equilibrium, resulting in fall from bar stool; abandon ruck for wheeled carry on bag.
Year seven: exploring trailer hitch arrangements to attach second carry-on bag.
Year eight: donate psk collection to boy scout troop, acquire DRPSK.

#243520 - 03/21/12 12:23 AM Re: Cart before the horse? [Re: Phaedrus]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
This may seem like a trivial question, but when building a PSK do you choose the items first or the container? The reason I ask is that no matter what activity I'm packing for (eg backpacking or camping trip, trip out of town, vacation, etc) I invariably stuff my pack/luggage completely full! The same applies to my FAKs & PSKs. Whatever pack I use will be filled to capacity. Often I'll toss in some extra items because, hey- I've got room!

It might seem pretty humorous to you folks, but to me it's something of a revelation: maybe I should decide what items I feel I need for the estimated level or risk, then choose a pack to accomodate said stuff. Brilliant or comically obvious? blush laugh

I travel for a living, and years ago when I first started out, I would pack my overnight duffle bag so full that you could hear the seams creaking, and an additional piece of paper would have caused catastrophic bag failure.

Now, with 20 years of experience and the wisdom that goes with it, I have analyzed each piece of clothing, all of my supplies and took out everything that is not absolutely essential to life itself.

Now I can still hear the seams creaking and an additional piece of paper will cause catastrophic bag failure....good luck my friend.

#243525 - 03/21/12 02:35 AM Re: Cart before the horse? [Re: nursemike]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
Originally Posted By: nursemike
Year six: rucksack weight affects equilibrium, resulting in fall from bar stool; abandon ruck for wheeled carry on bag.

You fell off a BAR STOOL because of a ruck. HA ha!! wish I could say that was my reason for falling from one.

#243540 - 03/21/12 07:47 AM Re: Cart before the horse? [Re: Phaedrus]
Burncycle Offline
Addict

Originally I started with a pre-made PSK and then started replacing components with higher quality items, and looking at various other possible ways to carry items as I went along.

Then once theory meets practice, you'll be able to better judge what needs to stay and what can go.

Figure out what exactly you want the PSK to do (stand alone or EDC supplement only?), decide what essentials you'll need, then try out a couple different carry methods until you find something you're happy with

#243544 - 03/21/12 12:25 PM Re: Cart before the horse? [Re: Phaedrus]
Finn Offline

Loc: Colonial Heights, VA
Yep, my EDC changes daily, but my PSK jar is constant. I use a small instant coffee jar and have a whetstone, P-51, micro Mag-lite, Doan's bar, lighter and hair ties. At the very least, I have a Leatherman, SAK, and jar on me.

My EDC backpack varies in content.

I really like the water bottle carrier idea! Thanks!

#243547 - 03/21/12 12:47 PM Re: Cart before the horse? [Re: nursemike]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: nursemike
Year one of ets exposure: altoid tin psk.
Year two: 2 altoid tin, psk and fak.
Year three: add third tin for fire starter kit
Year four: pants fall to ground due to psk pocket carry: acquire vest.
Year five: vest proves to be repellent to opposite gender. abandon in favor of rucksack. Psk now weighs sixteen pounds.
Year seven: exploring trailer hitch arrangements to attach second carry-on bag.
Year eight: donate psk collection to boy scout troop, acquire DRPSK.

Maybe a pack mule?

#243554 - 03/21/12 03:06 PM Re: Cart before the horse? [Re: Phaedrus]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
I have sort of gravitated to a smallish fanny pack for the shortish hikes I usually take. That limits what I can cart around with me. But it is quite adequate for what I do.

It might not be adequate for overnight trips or longer hiking excursions or excursions in more remote areas.

I personally think you have to start out with a maximum weight and/or size you are willing to carry.

I started out with a small backpack with a 2 liter hydration bladder and went to the fanny pack with two 1 liter plastic water bottles.

Bob

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 454 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.