Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#247572 - 06/27/12 03:33 PM Re: Anyone See this yet? Les Stroud Camillus Knives. [Re: barbarian]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Originally Posted By: barbarian
You are probably right. One could, most likely, get by well enough with either the BG or the LS knives. My gripe with both, though, is that I feel that neither of the blade designs are optimal for survival knives.

Fair enough, none of the designs are exactly what I'd be looking for either.

I (personally)doubt that either BG or LS had anything to do with the designs, no matter what their "official" stance on the matter is.

For me, I'll take the guys at their word as they both seem to be pretty straight forward guys and I don't have a compelling reason to believe otherwise (I don't know what Bear has said about his involvement, though I recall hearing somewhere that he was more involved in the newer Compact Fixed Blade design than some of the others). That said, I would also assume they weren't 100% behind every design decision though; I'd guess it would be fair to say that some choices would be driven by the company, others by the men themselves. Assuming a true collaboration, of course.

There are no swedges or false cutting edges on the spines either. That's so A: one doesn't destroy their baton, and B: more energy from the swing goes into the object of the batonning, instead of into your baton being cut by the false edge.

I definitely agree with you here, I don't see the point of a false top edge either. There were a couple knives I was considering purchasing that did have that "feature" and I did count it as a negative to the design when evaluating my options (e.g., Grohmann #4, Fallkniven S1).

#247577 - 06/27/12 04:10 PM Re: Anyone See this yet? Les Stroud Camillus Knives. [Re: Denis]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I just love all this talk about "celebrity" survival knives - way too much emphasis on what is really a very simple, commonplace tool that has been available for thousands of years.

A basic, simple SAK has worked just fine for me in routine outdoors work as well as the occasional dicey situation for decades. For my money, anything over 4" is excessive, and there are many blades available for $40 that are perfectly adequate. Recall that Aron Ralston performed major surgery with a cheap, knockoff multi-tool.

If one wishes to lug around a heavy "Rambo" type cutting tool, that is fine, but chances are, there are better uses for the money and weight involved.

#247641 - 06/28/12 03:44 PM Re: Anyone See this yet? Les Stroud Camillus Knives. [Re: hikermor]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Originally Posted By: hikermor
I just love all this talk about "celebrity" survival knives - way too much emphasis on what is really a very simple, commonplace tool that has been available for thousands of years.

And yet, it seems that everyone who relies upon a knife has come up with their own set of ideal characteristics that a knife should have, from George W. Sears to Doug Ritter and I doubt these are the first or last gentlemen who will be advocating, and yes even selling, their ideal blade designs.

I would guess this pattern goes back well before Nessmuk and will continue as long as men use knives in the outdoors and have a public platform.

I think this discussion became what it did because of the questions on many people minds. Like whether this latest breed of televised outdoorsman (i.e., Grylls & Stroud) are actually promoting their own ideals or are just putting their name on product, and if they are promoting tools which would be a liability as opposed to a benefit in the field compared to what is already available on the market.

If one wishes to lug around a heavy "Rambo" type cutting tool, that is fine, but chances are, there are better uses for the money and weight involved.

I don't think any of the knives discussed so far would fall into this category; they all pretty much fall into the 4"-5" range.

#247651 - 06/28/12 08:56 PM Re: Anyone See this yet? Les Stroud Camillus Knives. [Re: Denis]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Originally Posted By: Denis
I doubt these are the first or last gentlemen who will be advocating, and yes even selling, their ideal blade designs.

Jim Bowie comes to mind.

And here's something to think about as well. Knives have been around for roughly 2 and 1/2 million years:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knife

and although the construction methods and materials have changed, the basic design has remained relatively unchanged. There's a reason for that.

#247705 - 06/29/12 05:18 PM Re: Anyone See this yet? Les Stroud Camillus Knives. [Re: Denis]
barbarian Offline
Journeyman

Loc: USA

Indeed thousands of years old, if not more. One of man's first tools. And as such, there have been MANY variations of it developed for different purposes, which is what makes them interesting, and worth discussing.

Originally Posted By: Denis
I think this discussion became what it did because of the questions on many people minds. Like whether this latest breed of televised outdoorsman (i.e., Grylls & Stroud) are actually promoting their own ideals or are just putting their name on product, and if they are promoting tools which would be a liability as opposed to a benefit in the field compared to what is already available on the market.

Well said. I've enjoyed this discussion, and feel like it's been worthwhile.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 362 Guests and 35 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.