Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#243423 - 03/20/12 08:03 AM Cart before the horse?
Phaedrus Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
This may seem like a trivial question, but when building a PSK do you choose the items first or the container? The reason I ask is that no matter what activity I'm packing for (eg backpacking or camping trip, trip out of town, vacation, etc) I invariably stuff my pack/luggage completely full! The same applies to my FAKs & PSKs. Whatever pack I use will be filled to capacity. Often I'll toss in some extra items because, hey- I've got room!

It might seem pretty humorous to you folks, but to me it's something of a revelation: maybe I should decide what items I feel I need for the estimated level or risk, then choose a pack to accomodate said stuff. Brilliant or comically obvious? blush laugh

#243426 - 03/20/12 08:35 AM Re: Cart before the horse? [Re: Phaedrus]
bigreddog Offline
Enthusiast

Easy mistake to make.

I would always think about what you need and then decide how to carry it, with one important caveat - you WILL need to carry it!

It is easy to come up with a huge list of stuff that would be useful - but to me a PSK needs to fit in a pocket if I want to be sure to have it

#243428 - 03/20/12 08:40 AM Re: Cart before the horse? [Re: Phaedrus]
Frisket Offline
Addict

I personally started with the prebuilt Ritter PSK and then worked my way to customizing. I think While having a starting point at size helped I originally downsized to a container I saw and then upsized to its identical big brother.

Personally Id start with a altoids tin size right off the bat. Its not to big not to small and its very common to obtain and very commonly used for these reasons.

After you get use to it Decide for yourself wether you need to upsize, Downsize, Change shape, Or Even change materials.

Bringing up a great point is literally today I saw a small pill case for 1$ at walgreens and bought it without a huge idea on what to put on it. My final choice was a fishing kit as i do not have a tiny Fishing kit yet.

One Idea is to purchase the major Important items OR Items that You may consider being the largest items first. This way you have a starting point for size to consider. Three great items for this idea is the Fox 40 Whistle the Ritter Mk5 and the spark lite.

This will set the tone for your PSK's size while adding some good solid basics to it right off the bat.

As a Quick note, I am a Container Junkie silly as it may sound. I often Buy containers just for the sake of having them around and most of the time I will think of a Need and instantly go through what containers I own and 90% of the time I will have the perfect container that just works like it was made to be.

#243431 - 03/20/12 09:22 AM Re: Cart before the horse? [Re: Frisket]
Phaedrus Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: Frisket

As a Quick note, I am a Container Junkie silly as it may sound. I often Buy containers just for the sake of having them around and most of the time I will think of a Need and instantly go through what containers I own and 90% of the time I will have the perfect container that just works like it was made to be.

I'm a container junkie, and especially a pouch/pack nerd! Since I'm not rich, I really fetishize Maxpedition stuff. If I had more money I'd probably be drooling over Kifaru and Mystery Ranch gear but Maxpedition is about the top of my budget for EDC and misc stuff.

Sometimes the container suggests itself. For instance, one of my most carried PSKs rides in my Maxpedition 12 x 5 water bottle carrier. I always carry water anyways, so I've added as many things as I can to the carrier. The result adds little weight compared to a SS bottle with 40 oz of water, yet although it's not a lot of gear it probably would be enough to tip the scales in my favor if an outing turned against me.

An Altoids tin is the classic case of chosing the container first- and of course, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that. So long as one has decided that's the maximum space you can allot and chose the best gear you can given that space limitation, the Altoids kit can be useful.

My own classic case of choosing the container first, aside for the previously mentioned bottle kit, is the lumbar pack. As a day pack I find them pretty comfortable vs a regular backpack, especially when it's hot. I will add PSK items that work with the stuff I'm already carrying (eg water, snacks, etc). Of course, this has to be guided by a disciplined analysis of what you might need vs what would be cool to have.

Again, it's not a revolutionary idea or anything. I'm just trying to move away from "how much crap can I fit in this thing" to "what do I really need to carry?"

#243432 - 03/20/12 09:24 AM Re: Cart before the horse? [Re: Phaedrus]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
Again, it's not a revolutionary idea or anything. I'm just trying to move away from "how much crap can I fit in this thing" to "what do I really need to carry?"

Same here Although with my new EDC bag Im constantly added to it sadly. Its difficult to argue that 1oz when it does effect the weight of 10 pounds but when you keep saying that now your at 15 pounds then 20 pounds so on so forth.

#243440 - 03/20/12 11:30 AM Re: Cart before the horse? [Re: Frisket]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Pretty soon there will be a formal medical description of ETS syndrome - the incessant and continual need to accumulate containers, mostly small pocket size, and stuff them full. I am a victim, and you guys are to blame!

#243443 - 03/20/12 12:17 PM Re: Cart before the horse? [Re: Phaedrus]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I consider how I am traveling and how I can carry it, then choose the components, then the container. I have kits for traveling by commercial air, vehicle and foot.

I do have (as Hikermor describes) a plethora of containers to choose from.

#243477 - 03/20/12 04:07 PM Re: Cart before the horse? [Re: Phaedrus]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

I have the same problem. I won't list the items in my out of town bag because I don't want to be scolded. lol. Again. But it's packed heavy and I feel I can handle virtually any situation I encounter. My FAK and PSK are jammed tight for that same reason: Hey I can fit more in here if REALLY try. Problem is the mess you make trying to recover something from the most carefully packed kit. Then repacking it in the field. Especially with an injury.

#243479 - 03/20/12 04:13 PM Re: Cart before the horse? [Re: Frisket]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Sound advice Frisket. I too am a container junkie, especially tins. I have dozens of altoids tins I have bought and have simply the mints. Still unable to find the large altoids tin anywhere, Or an old aspirin tin. Small waterproof containers fascinate me.

#243481 - 03/20/12 04:18 PM Re: Cart before the horse? [Re: hikermor]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Hangs head. I'm sorry Hiker. Send me all your containers. Get that monkey off your back.http://forums.equipped.org/images/icons/default/grin.gif

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 444 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.