Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#243418 - 03/20/12 05:49 AM Tinder that takes a spark: options?
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
What all is out there that can be lit with sparks from a large firesteel? I use the term "tinder" loosely - what I'm really after is "firemaking helpers that work with a spark"

I know of:

cotton balls with vasoline
char cloth
alcohol in a burner

What else is good and a reasonable thing to consider carrying on day hikes, etc.? Something that would work well in damp conditions and wind gets a bonus of course. "Fire Paste" would seem ideal IMHO, if it will take a spark. But I kind of doubt it will, and I don't have any to try experiementing with. Does anybody know if Fire Paste + spark = fire? I've got plenty of powder from ammunition reloading, but that fails under "wet" or "windy" conditions. Not to mention the safety aspect. Plus, you only get a flash of fire to singe your eyebrows with, not the more desireable slow burn to get other materials (tinder) ignited.

I am not concerned with weight and/or size that much. This would be for day hikes and bug out bag use.

#243419 - 03/20/12 06:12 AM Re: Tinder that takes a spark: options? [Re: haertig]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
sorry i can't help but this why i have a fire lighter that makes fire and not sparks.i always thought the fire steels were the sort of thing that was packed away in a sealed kit to be used if all else failed but they seem to have moved into the everyday fire lighting mode.
thinking about it for a minute i'll bet a steel would light those Army fire tabs and once you get those going you can burn just about anything.

#243421 - 03/20/12 06:28 AM Re: Tinder that takes a spark: options? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Sure, if the BIC lighter works, then by all means I'd use that! And I carry one of those BIC's. But I'm looking for a backup that will basically work under the worst of conditions, when the BIC might fail. Of if the BIC leaked out it's butane after years and years of sitting in a bug out bag.

For lighting alcohol burners like my Trangia, I prefer the firesteel over the BIC though. The firesteel always lights the Trangia first try, and your hands stay farther away as you're lighting it (not that alcohol lights up that hot initially to be a significant danger if you're holding a BIC or a match up close).

#243422 - 03/20/12 06:29 AM Re: Tinder that takes a spark: options? [Re: haertig]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I can think of several.

1) Tinder-Quik: This stuff is cotton treated with something to make it waterproof and extend the burn. It's designed to be lit with the relatively weak spark from a lighter flint. A 1" tab of the stuff will light very easily and burn for around 2 minutes. An empty BIC will still light this stuff.

2) Jute twine: In my experience you really do have to keep it dry, but when dry it will light easily with sparks from a fire steel. The empty BIC may light this, if you choose finer jute cord.

3) Cotton balls dipped in wax: Much the same as vaseline but not messy. You have to take care not to get too much wax to get it lit. I like to compress a large cottonball as tightly as I can, then wrap it in a bit of cling film or a square cut from a plastic shopping bag. I wrap the cottonball and melt is shut if it's a bag. Then I wrap cotton cosmetic pads or another cotton ball around this core, secure it with rubber bands and dip it in wax. This leaves the inner core of bone dry cotton to light and a lot of wax to protect and extend it. To use this you cut the ball about 2/3 in half, pulling out and fluffing up the naked cotton in the center. It can be lit with an empty BIC.

4) Weber Grill Lighters: This stuff is essentially the same as WetFire but larger and much, much cheaper. You have to keep it sealed or it won't keep for long but it lights easily with sparks and burns around 9-10 minutes. It's completely waterproof and will burn while floating. I haven't tried lighting it with the relatively faint sparks from a BIC, but I'll test it when I have time.

5) Hexamine: The most well know brand is ESBIT. You can use a knife or other scraper to scrape some shavings off the edge, and those shavings can be readily lit with a fire steel. It doesn't need to be sealed and has a near-infinite shelf life. Since it's made as a fuel for stoves (and model trains) it burns well. A cube will go for around 13 minutes. If it's not sealed though it reeks like a 7 day old dead fish. This probably won't light reliably with the faint sparks from an empty lighter but again, it can be lit pretty easily with a fire steel, especially a very large on like the Firesteel.com Bunker. The BlastMatch also lights them very reliably in my experience. Again, you do have to shave it first.

6) Fatwood: This takes a bit of work, though. First, cut some thin strips off for intermediate fuel. Then use the spine of your knife or the striker for your 'steel to rub fine shavings/dust off the fatwood. If you keep the rubbings fine the dust will easily light with a fire steel. The dust will burn hotly, and for long enough to light the slivers, which in turn will light your other fuel. Not sure if an empty lighter has enough oomph to light it, but again, I'll also try this as time allows.

#243436 - 03/20/12 09:44 AM Re: Tinder that takes a spark: options? [Re: haertig]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

1 - Alcohol wipes in your FAK

2- Hand sanitizer ( some brands )

3 - Smear a little lip palm on some TP. Should be same as cotton/Petroleum jelly... I think

4 ?? Haven't tried it, but was thinking about ear wax on a cotton Q-tip. I don't know if it would catch a spark

#243444 - 03/20/12 12:23 PM Re: Tinder that takes a spark: options? [Re: haertig]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I have recently done a wilderness survival merit badge campout with my scout troop, and we tested some. I have lit the following with a spark:

cotton (w/vaseline)
Wetfire (must not be exposed to air for too long)
Crumbled Weber grill starters
Esbit cubes crumbled
dry grass (with a blast match)
paper (with a blast match)
alcohol
cedar bark
pine needles (rubbed together to make finer fibers)

I also tried another type of grill starter, and I am trying to track down some more as I can't remember the name and it is not on the small packages. I have had them for several years, and they are packaged in a nice waterproof plastic. You are supposed to light the package with a match. I tore the open and crumbled the stuff inside and it ignited with a spark.

#243446 - 03/20/12 12:36 PM Re: Tinder that takes a spark: options? [Re: haertig]
airballrad Offline
Gear Junkie
Enthusiast

Loc: Gulf Coast Florida, USA
It's not intuitive, but the best thing I've ever found was fine steel wool (not Brillo pads; the soap does them in). It will catch a spark and burn very hot. A little unraveled steel wool and a little unraveled twine and you have yourself a happy little flame from your sparking device.

#243449 - 03/20/12 01:05 PM Re: Tinder that takes a spark: options? [Re: haertig]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Dryer lint, pocket lint, the threds hanging around the hole in the knee of your jeans. I've used them all with my poor mans sparklite. I don't advise gun powder, but there are some slow burning ones out there, like the old string powders like cordite, we took some out of WWII .303 British rounds with a bullet puller. Experimented with them as fuses so the burn slow in the open air. You could soak cotton balls in kerosene or gasoline and allow to air dry fully or till they are just barely damp and store in an air tight container. Hope this helps.

#243450 - 03/20/12 01:08 PM Re: Tinder that takes a spark: options? [Re: haertig]
Frozen Offline
Journeyman

DW found that dry milkweed fluff will burst into flames with a firesteel spark.

#243451 - 03/20/12 01:11 PM Re: Tinder that takes a spark: options? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

I agrveryone seems to want the fire steel as a last resort. I say use it when the wheather is good and progress to matches and lighter etc as it gets worse. Why use it when you're cold and wet, the wind and rain or snow is blowing and you're shivering badly? That's when I want a hot steady flame and excellent solid state tinder. Yup I've lit Trioxane on fire with the ferro on my mag bar. Just rough it up a bit with the edge of your knife. Or there's always Wet Fire cubes.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.