Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#243374 - 03/19/12 08:35 PM Anyone See this yet? Les Stroud Camillus Knives.
Frisket Offline
Addict

I dont like um.

http://smallcaps.us/acme-united-signs-camillus-knife-deal-with-world-famous-survivorman-les-stroud

"The expertise and input from Les Stroud, combined with the Camillus carbonitride titanium non-stick technology, which makes the blades 10 times harder than stainless steel,"

http://seekingalpha.com/news-article/210...with-les-stroud

"The knives will feature Camillus carbonitride titanium non-stick technology, which provides cutting edges up to 10 times harder than untreated blades."

Im lost.

#243382 - 03/19/12 09:07 PM Re: Anyone See this yet? Les Stroud Camillus Knives. [Re: Frisket]
Frisket Offline
Addict

What you think of the Non stick coating making the knife 10 times harder then steel? Wonderful marketing!

#243387 - 03/19/12 10:02 PM Re: Anyone See this yet? Les Stroud Camillus Knives. [Re: ]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
Love that tanto bladed machette!

Really, there is not all that much new in the knife world.

China can make a knife every bit as good as a factory here in the US can. And they often do.

Bob

#243396 - 03/20/12 01:02 AM Re: Anyone See this yet? Les Stroud Camillus Knives. [Re: Frisket]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Have to admit that Chinese knives are getting better. I have one of the new Camillus knives, and although I have not field tested it yet, I like the price, fit, and finish of it.

#243407 - 03/20/12 03:37 AM Re: Anyone See this yet? Les Stroud Camillus Knives. [Re: ]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I like Les Stroud, and I like Camillus. However, the mating of the two produced some really ugly babies IMHO.

#243415 - 03/20/12 04:50 AM Re: Anyone See this yet? Les Stroud Camillus Knives. [Re: haertig]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
Originally Posted By: haertig
I like Les Stroud, and I like Camillus. However, the mating of the two produced some really ugly babies IMHO.

Yeah. I normally don't care for looks as long as the tool does what is needed but these knives look real....um....I dunno. Kinda like something robocop would carry. All grey and green and black, Odd color choice to say the least.

I figured a marketed survival knife would be a little less subdued looking.

#243417 - 03/20/12 05:03 AM Re: Anyone See this yet? Les Stroud Camillus Knives. [Re: Taurus]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Originally Posted By: Taurus
All grey and green and black, Odd color choice to say the least.

Interestingly, the colour scheme seems quite similar to some of MEC's new backpacking tents (e.g., MEC Volt).

#243427 - 03/20/12 08:37 AM Re: Anyone See this yet? Les Stroud Camillus Knives. [Re: ]
bigreddog Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Funny you mention that. A guy on YouTube put that to the test. He bought the American version of the Buck 301 and the Chinese made version, the Buck 371. He examined both and wondered what the quality was like. The finish on the shield, scales, snap and lack of wobble was incredibly well done on the Chinese version. The American version had very good finished and sharp blades, but glue leaked around the shield and the blades wobbled and didn't really snap tightly.

The chinese stuff is getting better all the time. And while I hate to say it, much of the world doesn't see 'made in USA' as a mark of particular quality

#243429 - 03/20/12 08:47 AM Re: Anyone See this yet? Les Stroud Camillus Knives. [Re: bigreddog]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: bigreddog
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Funny you mention that. A guy on YouTube put that to the test. He bought the American version of the Buck 301 and the Chinese made version, the Buck 371. He examined both and wondered what the quality was like. The finish on the shield, scales, snap and lack of wobble was incredibly well done on the Chinese version. The American version had very good finished and sharp blades, but glue leaked around the shield and the blades wobbled and didn't really snap tightly.

The chinese stuff is getting better all the time. And while I hate to say it, much of the world doesn't see 'made in USA' as a mark of particular quality

It Is VERY Very hit and miss in my opinion when it comes to purchasing products in the first place. Adding the idea that where its made will change that just makes things complicated in a Unneeded way.

As the running joke goes look at everything you own and most of it will have a stamp clearly stating its not made in USA.

Also as a Side note Does that idea scare anyone else? At one Point It was the joke made in china was junk...Now Made in china will be gold and made in USA will be mud.....How is that gonna effect things?

#243434 - 03/20/12 09:31 AM Re: Anyone See this yet? Les Stroud Camillus Knives. [Re: Frisket]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
The quality of Chinese stuff may be hit and miss but US made stuff is really no different. We're cranked out plenty of junk knives in the US, too. Unless we're talking customs I've never really though of the US as a great knifemaking country. Nearly all my kitchen knives are Japanese, with the only American made ones being specialty blades made to closely mimic the qualities of the Japanese ones. I don't want to set fans of one company against another but what would you rather have- a Becker or a Fallkniven? I'd take my F1 over any Becker(although they're very good knives). Certainly ESEE makes great knives. How many other truly elite knives are made in the US, though?

I think it still comes down to individual companies. Some work very closely with their Chinese factories, implementing the same QC as they do in their stateside plants. I've read that the tires made by major American companies in China are very good whereas the purely Chinese brands are deathtraps.

But I'll admit- I'd still be pretty wary of a Chinese knife. Maybe that will change as I see more good ones.

BTW, re the OP and the Stroud Camillus: At first blush I'm pretty disappointed. It contains lots Bear Grylls-style gimmicks and very few features I'd consider appropriate to a survival knife. I loath serrations right in the sweet spot of the blade. That's the part I'd use to make feather sticks or shavings, tasks much better suited to a plain edge. Actually I loath serrations in general. They're useful on a bread knife and perhaps great for EMS to cut seat belts or whatever, but for most tasks they just get in the way. The whole design screams "tacti-cool" more than survival.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.