Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#243158 - 03/15/12 01:24 AM Re: Bear has finally gone away [Re: widget]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Izzy hit it on the head. What you see on any of these shows is for entertainment value only. They are controlled by the producers and directors. Yes they made decisions and took the money, but TV is for entertainment and amusement. Bear has done things in real life that very few people have done, and he did it for real. If someone offered you a load of money to do a show like that and told you to make it more exciting, would you quit in protest and give up the money?

#243161 - 03/15/12 02:05 AM Re: Bear has finally gone away [Re: gonewiththewind]
naguethey Offline
Stranger

]Back to the topic. I've read through a lot of Bear threads. Then I saw this one and the other one. I stopped and thought about it for a bit. I think we're all giving him a bit more flak than he deserves. He's a television presenter on a television show. Let's get down to brass tacks and see what he has accomplished. He's gotten a lot of kids interested in the outdoors in a time where kids aren't too interested in anything outside of a video game. That alone is good enough for me.[

All very good points stated above. And the fact that television is greedy. And I'm sure a very large portion of the things many of us disagree with. Was all done for the ratings game. Yes some if not many things were dangerous. Or would get you killed or hurt, poisoned,or harmed in other ways. But we still watched. Which in turn made him money. The channel money, the advertisers money. And got more kids interested in something besides video games. So yeah I'm not a fan of tv bear. But maybe in real life he's ok. And for his paycheck. I'd probably do a backflip off a cliff and drink urine out of a snakeskin too. ;p

#243163 - 03/15/12 02:27 AM Re: Bear has finally gone away [Re: naguethey]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Let's not forget his line of Gerber gear (insert eye-rolling here). He definitely knew how to capitalize on his 20 minutes of fame.

#243182 - 03/15/12 12:19 PM Re: Bear has finally gone away [Re: widget]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...

"According to his Discovery Channel biography, Grylls lives on a converted barge on the River Thames in London with his wife Shara and their sons Jesse, Marmaduke and Huckleberry."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/201.../#ixzz1pBbQPkBg

At least he does't have to mow the lawn.

#243191 - 03/15/12 05:38 PM Re: Bear has finally gone away [Re: widget]
bigreddog Offline
Enthusiast

My 2cents - Bear had established himself as a bona fide adventurer long before the tv series and has overcome serious injury to get there.

The tv series itself was entertainment - 10 seconds thought and you should realise he is accompanied by a tv crew (like a lot of 'reality' shows), and the stunts would need to be arranged otherwise they would be too dangerous.

Don't like the products - don't buy them. Do a decent review and let others decide (FWIW I have seen good and bad reviews, and a lot of the bad reviews are related to Gerber not Bear)

Don't like the programmes - turn over and watch Les, or football or Desperate Housewives or whatever floats your boat.

It's a democracy and a free market, and we are all grown ups so we get to make choices

#243192 - 03/15/12 06:07 PM Re: Bear has finally gone away [Re: widget]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
Who names their kids Marmaduke and Huckleberry?

#243196 - 03/15/12 06:58 PM Re: Discovery Terminates Relationship With Bear Grylls [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe
One observes that, according to that report, a lot of people seem to be having difficulty's with the Discovery Channel. I wonder if some bright spark is trying to push people into doing things that go beyond what is prudent, or might be injurious to someone's reputation?

I think that bright spark is an adherent to the "Fear Sells" marketing philosophy.

Originally Posted By: DANIEL GARDNER, The Science of Fear
Fear sells. Fear makes money. The countless companies and consultants in the business of protecting the fearful from whatever they may fear know it only too well. The more fear, the better the sales.

In the last week they've aired "Preppers", which is about a bunch of (mainly) urban survivalists preparing for the TEOTWAWKI/WROL with underground shelters, and "Apocalypse 2012", which needs no explanation.

[RANT]
Both of which are nausea invoking and not helping those of us who simply don’t want to have to rely on others help when things aren’t peachy.
[/RANT]

We now returned you to your regularly scheduled thread.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#243197 - 03/15/12 07:01 PM Re: Bear has finally gone away [Re: chaosmagnet]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe
Moderator: Be aware that the present tone of this thread is getting close to libel.

What I've seen in this thread has included some opinions being expressed in a manner that's not entirely up to our standards, and I will caution posters to maintain decorum.

chaosmagnet

Talking of which: Notice how Discovery Channel's statement is phrased? Classic example of how to damn someone and destroy their reputation without actually stepping over the line. It's right up there with "insufficient evidence for a prosecution".
i.e. Not a shred of evidence, absolutely innocent but we will just imply.

#243198 - 03/15/12 07:10 PM Re: Bear has finally gone away [Re: MDinana]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Originally Posted By: MDinana
Let's not forget his line of Gerber gear (insert eye-rolling here). He definitely knew how to capitalize on his 20 minutes of fame.

I don't know about the rest of the line, but from what I've heard about the Ultimate Survival knife it appears to be a solid, reliable knife in a useful (and affordable) package.

While it's not necessarily my cup of tea aesthetically speakinig, the addition of a non-serrated model this year removes my only real technical concern about the knife. Frankly, I don't think it would be a bad choice as a primary knife for someone heading outdoors. There were some reported issues with the pommel in the first generation, but I understand that has been resolved and all the currently available knives are okay.

Here is one fairly indepth review from the British blades forum, and (from what I remember) a test video with some reasonably good results by Adam at Equip 2 Endure.

All that to say, I think maybe Bear's taken a bit more heat over the whole Gerber thing than is really warranted.

#243200 - 03/15/12 07:57 PM Re: Bear has finally gone away [Re: ]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
I think what really made him look bad and was really embarrassing for him was 18-20 months ago when the first of his Ultimate Survival Knife came out many of them were breaking due to a problem that was later, I believe, traced back to improper plastic mixing on the removable pommel that doubles as a fire steel.

Yes, my understanding the pommel was breaking off of those first generation models under reasonable real-world use (it isn't supposed to be removable). Here's an example.

That said, Bear was taking heat for the knife before anyone was able to test it out (similar to how some, now, are giving Les Stroud a hard time for his new knife line).

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 453 Guests and 95 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.