Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#243130 - 03/14/12 05:44 PM Re: Bear has finally gone away [Re: widget]
lordnoble Offline

Loc: Upstate NY, USA
I, for one enjoyed his shows, even if he did MANY things that go against conventional "survival" wisdom. Even a passing understanding of how "reality" television shows are edited, most would see him for what he is: an excellent showman. Survival guru? No way, but his shows always made me laugh at the ridiculous stunts he'd pull. And the bugs! My word, the crap that man would ingest was unbelievable. Fortunately for me in my limited outdoor experiences, I've never had to drink my own urine or eat any nasty creepy-crawly, and I hope I never have to. Anyway, I wish him luck and hope that he gets some work soon as I'd love to see him in something a bit less over-the-top as MvW...

-Jason

#243133 - 03/14/12 05:53 PM Re: Discovery Terminates Relationship With Bear Grylls [Re: Virginia_Mark]
naguethey Offline
Stranger

I find this amusing ;]

#243134 - 03/14/12 05:57 PM Re: Bear has finally gone away [Re: widget]
naguethey Offline
Stranger

I very very rarely ever watch tv. But I'm a youtube fantatic. I can and have enjoyed his show online. As I do just about any outdoor channel or video. But not loss in the real world of survival teachings that for sure. I doubt this will hurt his bank account. With so many endorsement deals.

#243139 - 03/14/12 07:46 PM Re: Discovery Terminates Relationship With Bear Grylls [Re: Virginia_Mark]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
One observes that, according to that report, a lot of people seem to be having difficulty's with the Discovery Channel. I wonder if some bright spark is trying to push people into doing things that go beyond what is prudent, or might be injurious to someone's reputation?

#243141 - 03/14/12 08:08 PM Re: Discovery Terminates Relationship With Bear Grylls [Re: Virginia_Mark]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
Originally Posted By: Run2The9
Bear gets Fired!

Oh Well, I hope his next venture is of more value and less entertainment fluff. I think "Dual Survival" kinda made him irrelevant anyway.

Dual survival is even worst in the fluffy entertainment area IMO. One show was really no better than the other. On one hand you got Bear doing a double backflip down a waterfall and on the other you got Dave cutting himself open to show everyone how to seal a wound with blackpowder.

I bet both these guys can hold their own in real life, but lets face it, Action sells. They are told what to do if they want to earn a paycheck. Nobody wants to watch some dude sit around lighting a fire and building the same shelter over and over again.

If they paid me(or most of you) that kind of money to put your survival principals aside for entertainment I am betting we would do the same thing.

#243143 - 03/14/12 08:28 PM Re: Discovery Terminates Relationship With Bear Grylls [Re: Virginia_Mark]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

I'm no Bear Grylls fan. But one thing he had over Dave Canterbury is that Bear didn't lie about his military background. Canterbury served but was outed a while back for fabricating wildly about his record. Most of his high speed, low drag history turned out to be low speed, high drag.

I couldn't believe Discovery kept him on after those revelations, but these days the media has shown that it's perfectly happy with men who steal valor from others.

#243145 - 03/14/12 08:49 PM Re: Bear has finally gone away [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe
Moderator: Be aware that the present tone of this thread is getting close to libel.

What I've seen in this thread has included some opinions being expressed in a manner that's not entirely up to our standards, and I will caution posters to maintain decorum.

chaosmagnet

#243150 - 03/14/12 10:29 PM Re: Bear has finally gone away [Re: ]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
I'm going to go off topic and take this as an opportunity to thank Chaos for his recent work as an Admin. He's been quick and thorough and tactful with his work. It's not me kissing butt either.

Thanks! Remember that all bribes must be paid in unmarked tens and twenties.

Quote:
Chaos, I apologize if that was too ranty.

Disagreement without nastiness or personal attacks violates no rules.

chaosmagnet

#243153 - 03/15/12 12:24 AM Re: Discovery Terminates Relationship With Bear Grylls [Re: Virginia_Mark]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Thank goodness I stuck with my 'original' survivors!

Attachments
96122_mary_ann_ginger.jpg

#243154 - 03/15/12 12:50 AM Re: Discovery Terminates Relationship With Bear Grylls [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Oh no, not the potential recurrence of the "Ginger or Mary Ann" debate!

(We all know the correct answer is Mary Ann!) whistle

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.