Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#239363 - 01/15/12 11:04 AM Re: 18 feet of snow in two weeks... [Re: AKSAR]
LED Offline
Veteran

Thanks AKSAR, very interesting. Gonna see if I can track down those books you mentioned. Looks like perfect reading material for camping.

#239372 - 01/15/12 05:53 PM Re: 18 feet of snow in two weeks... [Re: AKSAR]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: AKSAR
Some good sources on early native life are the several books by the explorer Vilhjalmur Stefansson. (Stefansson was one who did learn and adopt native ways.)

Veering a bit off course here, but Stefansson brought the idea from his time in the north that you could be perfectly healthy eating a diet devoid of all fruits and vegetables and just eating game (I forget exactly what game he ate, and whether he also ate fish).

He participated in a famous experiment at Bellvue Hospital in NYC where they locked him up and only fed him raw meat (and by "meat" I don't mean just the lean, red meat, otherwise you run into the "rabbit starvation" problem) for almost a year IIRC and he was the picture of health.

Of course, the population in Nome alone would wipe out all the wild animals in the vicinity if they tried to eat that way today.

#239400 - 01/16/12 01:12 AM Re: 18 feet of snow in two weeks... [Re: AKSAR]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Apparently Kobuk and Noatak have recieved their fuel shipment. Prior to the latest air shipment, villagers made a chilly trip to the Red Dog Mine, 23 miles away, to get fuel to tide them over:

"The latest Red Dog fuel day for Noatak took place on the day the village store ran out of diesel. So villagers formed a convoy of about 30 snowmobiles and freight sleds, and headed out in weather marked by temperatures of 47 below and, for the first 10 miles, dense fog......"

Meanwhile, at Nome they are preparing to lay a hose across the sea ice to start pumping fuel from the tanker. The tanker arrived yesterday, and is about 1/2 mile offshore.

#243140 - 03/14/12 07:52 PM Re: 18 feet of snow in two weeks... [Re: Andy]
Andy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SE PA
Originally Posted By: Andy
DD2's former home in Alaska, Cordova, has gotten hammered this winter. This town has no stoplights, one gas station and access only by boat or plane. Most winters are mild compared to places such as Nome or even Anchorage. This is extreme.

Story on MSNBC,com.

A video shot by one her friends last week. It's snowed even more over the weekend.

Cordova AK

Just a quick update. DD2 spent a few weeks in Cordova in February and early March. It hasn't stopped snowing there, averaging 6-12" every few days. This photo is from her friends at Fish & Game who spent a day with shovels and a Bobcat digging out one of their seine net trailers. The fellow in the picture is a little over 6' tall.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.