The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#242210 - 03/01/12 10:58 PM Re: Survival Training Certification [Re: ILBob]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
...and what if the certifier is very book learned and the certifiee is a highly experienced backwoodsman with outstanding communication skills and teaching credentials -- someone like Ron Hood (RIP). What if the certifier didn't like Ron Hood's curriculum? Who certifies who?

#242212 - 03/01/12 11:46 PM Re: Survival Training Certification [Re: Russ]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
Originally Posted By: Russ
...and what if the certifier is very book learned and the certifiee is a highly experienced backwoodsman with outstanding communication skills and teaching credentials -- someone like Ron Hood (RIP). What if the certifier didn't like Ron Hood's curriculum? Who certifies who?

Just curious how you chose Ron Hood, and how do you know his curriculum is any better than the next guys? I am not doubting you and he has a big following (or rather had), but that does not really mean all that much. Most of being certified is as much about marketing as anything else.

One of the problems with this kind of thing is you have guys who will look you straight in the eye and suggest carrying condoms and tampoons in your survival kit. And the sheep go for that kind of nonsense. Is that the kind of guy you really want teaching the class?

How about a guy that walks around barefoot? is he a good choice for an instructor?

Bob

#242217 - 03/02/12 12:33 AM Re: Survival Training Certification [Re: ILBob]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Originally Posted By: ILBob
Originally Posted By: Russ

Just curious how you chose Ron Hood, and how do you know his curriculum is any better than the next guys? I am not doubting you and he has a big following (or rather had), but that does not really mean all that much. Most of being certified is as much about marketing as anything else.

One of the problems with this kind of thing is you have guys who will look you straight in the eye and suggest carrying condoms and tampoons in your survival kit. And the sheep go for that kind of nonsense. Is that the kind of guy you really want teaching the class?

How about a guy that walks around barefoot? is he a good choice for an instructor?

I chose Ron Hood because he was an outstanding communicator with teaching creds. IIRC he had an advanced degree in education. I don't know that "his curriculum is any better than the next guys". Where did you read that? But who is to judge?

I'm saying/asking "who certifies the certifiers?" Who writes the standards? Who decides what is or isn't worthy of being in a survival curriculum?

#242226 - 03/02/12 02:26 AM Re: Survival Training Certification [Re: BruceZed]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
I believe some of the small-time certifications in any field are just money grubbing scams where certification can be had by anyone for doing some online 'courses' and paying a large fee.

Market forces can and do control these operations:

I'm not a survival expert, but if I were to enroll in a survival school, I know more than enough to recognize good instruction. Probably, many who attend these classes would already have some background knowledge gained from scouts, military, EMS, or personal experience. If I felt I did not get my money's worth, I would demand a refund, or post complaints on Facebook and the forums I visit, and tell everyone I knew that this guy was a ripoff. A few people doing this and the business dries up for the imposter.

The other prong is that if I rely on training I receive and it proves to be harmful to me or mine, I may have a reason to file a civil suit. Just one of these could put a small operation under.

Third, these instructers would be foolish to offer classes without insurance, and the insurance risk managers will have much to say about the curriculum, and even if the school survives.

#242250 - 03/02/12 05:53 PM Re: Survival Training Certification [Re: ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
College accreditation does provide a definite degree of legitimacy. However, would any of claim that college courses are always useful and worthwhile (some are, some aren't, and some just provide credit hours)?

#242261 - 03/02/12 07:57 PM Re: Survival Training Certification [Re: chaosmagnet]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Even with a heavy military background you are not assured of competency. I remember quite a few years ago an ex Green Beret had a survival training camp for juvenile delinquints and ended up killing one. Obviously certification was needed to weed him out. I agree that it would be an uphill battle.

#242262 - 03/02/12 08:08 PM Re: Survival Training Certification [Re: ]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

don't the people at SURVIVOR suggest to thier contestants that they take a CERTIFIED survival course before leaving the US? Perhaps they could be taught to dress for where they are going lol.

#242283 - 03/02/12 10:25 PM Re: Survival Training Certification [Re: hikermor]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
Originally Posted By: hikermor
College accreditation does provide a definite degree of legitimacy. However, would any of claim that college courses are always useful and worthwhile (some are, some aren't, and some just provide credit hours)?

From what I understand about the process of getting a course accepted by a college, it does not mean as much as you might think. It is a long, drawn out, and tedious process that probably drives away the more casual practicioners though.

Having said that, I am not sure that survival classes are appropriate for actual college credit. It seems more vocational school, or adult education in nature to me. I suspect getting it accepted for that type of school probably is somewhat simpler, but still requires enough work and has enough oversight to drive off most of the totally unqualified would be instructors.

Bob

#242319 - 03/03/12 01:40 AM Re: Survival Training Certification [Re: BruceZed]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
At first, a survival certification sounded like a good idea. However, the more I think about it, the more a "Survival Certification" sounds like something that annoying guy from The Office would get and hang on his wall.

That pic sums up my feelings better than any words I could write here. I don't mean to offend anybody.

The word "survival" is so broad and means so many different things to so many different people. Each meaning is no less important than the other. You can get a survival certificate and still be totally useless in many situations, which may be dangerous if you think your cert gives you authority and responsibility. It's not like getting a snowboarding certification, or a martial arts certification, or some other certification that is a lot more specialized than "survival".

#242468 - 03/05/12 01:57 AM Re: Survival Training Certification [Re: widget]
BruceZed Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Canada
I think that the varied type of survival training and the varied or lack of standards is the biggest drawback to a National or International Standards.
boreal.net

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 388 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.