Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#243058 - 03/13/12 02:46 PM Re: Survival Training Certification [Re: naguethey]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: naguethey
Just read this post and found it remarkably interesting and in some ways right on topic with this post we're commenting on.... I'm new here to this forum so my apologies if this link is not allowed..But it is a good read.

http://www.codylundin.com/choosing.html

Links to information are fine. Links to commercial endeavors that are offtopic, or that you are connected to financially, are not fine. Even if you were Cody Lundin I wouldn't think of this link as being inappropriate in this context.

Don't hesitate to PM me any questions if you're not sure about what is or is not appropriate here.

chaosmagnet

#243059 - 03/13/12 02:54 PM Re: Survival Training Certification [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Byrd_Huntr
I think there is a place for backyard,internet, and campground training classes. I will stick my neck out and say that these engender more interest and enthusiasm in the general population than any other format.

Well said.

What I've done is teach kids the elementary basics about staying safe and getting found if they get lost. I'm "qualified" to do that, and a lot of the kids seem to enjoy getting out and doing things once they've heard my talk. I'm guessing it's because they're less fearful.

#243077 - 03/13/12 10:48 PM Re: Survival Training Certification [Re: chaosmagnet]
naguethey Offline
Stranger

I fully agree that backyard and youtube teachers are great. People need to learn these things. (that were once common knowledge)

And yes I know he sounded a bit peaved in part of his post. But there is another message in there as well. And that's if your looking for a proffesional taught course. Do your research, to get taught correctly and in what's going to suit your. Your age, skill level, enviroment..

A general basics course with a fairly strict guideline that all course would teach wouldn't be a bad thing. But again so many different factors come into play. That having them all run by one handbook or code. The student would be greatly missing out on lots of good info/neccasary info.

[And too my earlier link and post... Nope absolutely no ties to any teacher/school affiliation of any sort. Just thought that article was along the same subject line as this conversation is all. ]

I'm self taught from books, field time, grandfather and dad. Growing up a midwesterner spending my time in the woods instead of an arcade. And ex military (which in reality the military didnt' teach me anything other than to achieve the goal I'm after.

I'd have a really hard time paying anyone to teach me skills that I believe I already posses and am fairly proficient at. Unless, of course I'm able to find time to do a desert experiment for a few months. Then I'd really consider paying to be taught the skills I'd need for that enviroment. As I don't believe you can learn everything from a book.

#243085 - 03/14/12 12:02 AM Re: Survival Training Certification [Re: naguethey]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Byrd_Huntr

I think there is a place for backyard,internet, and campground training classes. I will stick my neck out and say that these engender more interest and enthusiasm in the general population than any other format.

Originally Posted By: naguethey
I fully agree that backyard and youtube teachers are great. People need to learn these things. (that were once common knowledge)

In the interest of accuracy, let me point out Lundin is not dismissing the backyard classes because they do not impart survival techniques such as making fire, but because they cannot teach the survival mindset:

Quote:
When a survival instructor teaches you skills in a campground or in their back yard, you are not learning survival skills in the context of how they will be needed and executed in a real survival scenario in the back country. Survival is 90% psychology. Thus a so-called "advanced" course should not have student vehicles parked a hundred yards away as the student knows "escape", physically and mentally, is literally right around the corner.

I think this echoes a good question that hikermor raised earlier:

Originally Posted By: hikermor
The field of "survival" is rather hazy and vague, as previous posters have pointed out, both in terms of skills to learn and widely differing environments. While schools can be helpful, there is nothing like varied experience. Another issue is that survival is basically very simple and basic - fire, food, shelter, and first aid- handle those issues well and you will be in pretty good shape, most of the time. Many analysts have pointed out that one of the key ingredients is a successful scenario is "will to survive" and there are some astounding examples of that. How precisely would a key ability like that be taught?

I think this is an important question. Has anyone here taken a class with Lundin or any of the noted survival instructors? How is this sort of stuff taught? Can we learn it in other venues?

Edited by Bingley (03/14/12 12:03 AM)

#243089 - 03/14/12 02:07 AM Re: Survival Training Certification [Re: Bingley]
naguethey Offline
Stranger

If anything I believe the will to push on and succeed or live. Was instilled in me more deeply in the military than in everyday life when I was younger..

I have not taken any course with anyone. But I push myself to my own limits when ever time permits.. ie.. getting dropped off in the country in the middle of a below zero snowstorm to camp out alone.

Flying into canada for 14 days and getting dropped on almost 100 miles away from my truck with no food or weapons, other than a knife and tomahawk. To canoe back to my vehicle in the states.

Taking off on canoe or bike or hiking trips with no food shelter. Just as a test to see what I'll come up with.

Or taking off on a two week motorcycle trip with only enough cash to pay for gas. No food money what so ever. So I have to forage at my campsites for anything I'm going to eat..

I think putting yourself in a situation and frame of mind is the most important part. Water,fire shelter, food.. Foods the hardest part of the equation most of the time. Unless your fairly proficiant with edible plants. And or other fast easy ways to find game.

But once you've accomplished these things. Being out there turns into normal routine most of the time. Rather than oh crud I'm lost and don't have anything.. Get in the frame of mind that every want you could ever need in life. Is provided for you in nature. You just have to train your mind and body at how to use your resources in ways that man has forgotten for the most part.

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Herman30), 166 Guests and 31 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03:13 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.