Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#242928 - 03/11/12 04:58 PM A self-sustaining heater for the wilderness
Bingley Offline
Veteran

New technology for us to consider? grin How do you go hiking with a cat anyway?

Quote:
Missing hiker... snuggled in a blue sleeping bag with her cat to survive the below-freezing temperatures at night... [Hiker] ran out of food some time ago. Her cat Miya, on the other hand, went hunting. “Her cat was in better shape than she was,” said... search-and-rescue incident commander.

From short article: http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/2012/03/11/missing-hiker-huddled-with-cat.html

Longer article: http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/2012/03/11/missing-hiker-huddled-with-cat.html

I am puzzled by the references to her history of mental illness. It doesn't seem responsible for her predicament, so why mention it?

#242933 - 03/11/12 05:50 PM Re: A self-sustaining heater for the wilderness [Re: Bingley]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Actually her medical history might be relevant. She spent her time in the "wilderness"(actually just barely within the Blue Range Primitive Area) all of a mile from the trail head, so for whatever reason, may not have been thinking all that logically. This was compounded by lack of coordination among the authorities, who spotted her car days earlier, didn't connect the dots, and towed her car from the scene before the search operation began.

#242978 - 03/12/12 10:53 AM Re: A self-sustaining heater for the wilderness [Re: Bingley]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
Many persons with significant mental illness will stop taking their medication and end up in all sorts of predicaments including fatal ones.

She went hiking with a cat and a bag of pretzels. That is not responsible hiking?

#242981 - 03/12/12 11:34 AM Re: A self-sustaining heater for the wilderness [Re: Bingley]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

It may be the case that she got lost and was unable to get back because of her mental illness. But then again it may not be. The article fails to make it clear. Instead, you almost get the sense that the writer is treating her health history like a scarlet letter. It invites us as readers to draw conclusions that we are simply not qualified to draw: do we have access to her current medical profile, are we investigator in the case?

In other words, if the SAR people or the medical people at the hospital said something to the effect of "she was not in a sound state of mental health," then the medical history would be more meaningful. Otherwise what evidence do we have that her mental health played a role? We don't even know what she suffered from, and whether she continues to suffer from it. Imagine someone dies in a car crash, and the news story says, "this person had a history of heart disease." Are we to surmise that this person had a heart attack while driving, subsequently crashing?

Let me clarify: what I object to is the writing of the article, which almost echoes the unenlightened 19th century attitude towards mental illness as some sort of black mark on a person's record. But these days any blogger with a laptop can play journalism, so why should we be surprised?

#242986 - 03/12/12 12:19 PM Re: A self-sustaining heater for the wilderness [Re: Bingley]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

You make some worthwhile points, but the article mentions her condition only casually. It is useful in SAR to have some notion of a person's profile, including anything that might indicate whether or not the victim might or might not make rational decisions - so often SAR is a mental chess game, where you are trying to get inside the person's head, and deduce the decisions they would have made when faced with prevailing conditions. Something more specific than "mental illness" would have been better, but you take what you can get. It certainly does not seem that her actions were particularly normal - just off a trail that is a mile from the road and campground, and you stay there for more than twenty days?

#242987 - 03/12/12 12:28 PM Re: A self-sustaining heater for the wilderness [Re: Bingley]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
People who are mentally ill just do not make rational decisions in many cases. I can understand why it might be deemed pertinent to the story.

Most reporting these days suffers from both political correctness and a desire to gloss over the details, while remotely mentioning the critical things.

If the woman was nuts and that contributed or led to the situation, they should just say so flat out. If not, it does not seem like it needed to be in the story at all.

Telling people you are going to FL and ending up in NM wandering around in the desert without appropriate gear does not seem like something a person acting in a rational way would do.That leads me to believe the mental illness aspect may well have been a very significant factor. The report may not have delved into that side of it much out of a misguided desire to avoid embarrassment to the victim.

In any case, delving into the thinking of someone who is in the clutches of mental illness really won't provide much of an answer. If someone is not acting rationally, there is just no way to "get" it.

Bob

#242990 - 03/12/12 12:50 PM Re: A self-sustaining heater for the wilderness [Re: Bingley]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Hikermor and Bob are concerned with whether her history of mental illness might have contributed to her getting lost. They may very well be right, but I am not concerned with this. I am concerned with the article's contribution to the stigmatization of people with a history of mental illness.

Look, by failing to make clear the connection, the article encourages people to attribute anything out of the ordinary that currently or formerly mentally ill person does to the illness. Why did Fred throw out that perfectly good burger? Must be because he has been seeing a shrink! He's nuts! Why did Mary get upset after I fired her? Must be because she was taking anti-depressants for a while ten years ago!

This brings back an attitude from an unenlightened age, when the mentally ill (or even perfectly healthy people who just did not adhere to social norms) got locked away. Once marked, always marked. In other words, it worked like a criminal record. Someone committed a crime some years ago. Anything he did afterwards will be given a negative interpretation. Oh, no, he's in our store! He must be here to rob us!

I'd challenge the writer to do a better job. If this woman's actions were a direct result of her mental illness, then the writer should state as much. Otherwise the article is just perpetuating this unenlightened attitude, and it's indirectly causing you to adopt the same.

Well, the other thing I was concerned with was cats... Aren't they warm and cuddly? Apparently they'll hunt for food on their own, too.

Edited by Bingley (03/12/12 12:53 PM)

#242997 - 03/12/12 02:38 PM Re: A self-sustaining heater for the wilderness [Re: Bingley]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Bingley
New technology for us to consider? grin How do you go hiking with a cat anyway?

http://besthike.wordpress.com/2010/06/18/cat-hikes-15000km/

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#243022 - 03/13/12 01:03 AM Re: A self-sustaining heater for the wilderness [Re: Bingley]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
If I stuff one of our cats inside my sleeping bag I'd have a LOT more than hunger and cold to worry about!!! Ouch!!

#243025 - 03/13/12 01:53 AM Re: A self-sustaining heater for the wilderness [Re: Bingley]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Try this article. It may be more to your liking. I don't think the coverage is over emphasizing her mental state,pro or con; I do agree with your point that it should not be unduly emphasized. I don't think it has been.

Edited by hikermor (03/13/12 01:54 AM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 265 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.