Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#242935 - 03/11/12 06:35 PM Bug-out Trunk Inventory
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Good afternoon all!
Wife has been away all weekend, so I've been keeping busy checking expiration dates, filling up gas and water cans, etc. Anyway, went to Home Depot to replace my falling-apart dinky plastic container. It's huge! So, of course since I have space, I need to fill it (right?).

This is suburbia. My wife, dog and I. Essentially the idea is a fast evac for hurricanes, or maybe moving to our duty station if we're called into work. I suspect we have enough pantry food for 3-5 days. This is a "get out of the area" idea.

First, the basics. I have a case of MRE's, and 10 3-liter water bottles next to this case. Camping supplies are one shelf over. My mental image is grabbing all of it, but the trunk is the core. BOB's are stacked on top of this trunk.

The Trunk! 45-gallon power pack. Seems pretty robust.
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-...p;storeId=10051

Shelter:
2 wool blankets, 1 8x10foot blue tarp.
50 feet nylon cord (civilian version of 550)
50 feet of braided rope.

Tools:
1 Mora knife
1 pair of work gloves
1 tea-candle lantern with 50 candles
About 30 cyalume sticks
Some hand warmers
1 large Trioxane stove
About 30 triox tabs
1 2-liter pot with 5 books of matches (in ziplock)
Small waterproof container with about $100 in bills

FAK/Snivel:
Toiletry kit for wife and I
Small FAK, including female-products. No meds, but only b/c they expired and I just tossed them. (BTW, each car is well stocked w/ a FAK)

Water:
3 liters, in 1/2L bottles. Like I said, water is mainly outside the kit.

Food:
MRE x 4
Mayday survival ration x 2
5lbs rice
3 bags of mixed-bean "soup" prep kits.
12-pack of Ramen noodles
2 dehydrated Mtn House "veggie medley" packets (pretty small)
2 cans spam
2 cans tuna (probably getting more soon)
2 cans of chicken
About 20 Gatorade G2 packets (approved by military as ORS!)

OK, so what am I missing? Multitool is on the list. Maybe a headlamp. Travel board game?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by MDinana (03/11/12 09:06 PM)

#242943 - 03/11/12 07:25 PM Re: Bug-out Trunk Inventory [Re: MDinana]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

How do the canned foods fare in the heat of your vehicles? I would'nt toss meds until I had the replacements in hand. Nice gear you have.

#242948 - 03/11/12 09:04 PM Re: Bug-out Trunk Inventory [Re: MDinana]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Thanks.

I don't know how the cans handle the car. This is kept in my garage. So far they seem OK as I cycle through them, maybe every 2-3 years. No dysentery yet smile

Meds - mainly just tylenol and motrin. Hardly worth getting in a tizzy over, and they were about 3 years out of date. I've got some in my bathroom if I really need it. In a true SHTF, I'm sure I'd be busy enough to ignore a caffeine headache or whatever.

#242949 - 03/11/12 09:39 PM Re: Bug-out Trunk Inventory [Re: MDinana]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Just a thought on the stove selection.

Considering that your kit is primarily for a vehicle, you might want to consider a Coleman type single burner stove. This along with a couple of 1 lb propane tanks might be a better choice of stove unless your BO plan includes putting boots to the ground and hiking home / or away somewhere. In this case, the Trioxane stove would be better choice.

John Lubbock

#242950 - 03/11/12 09:42 PM Re: Bug-out Trunk Inventory [Re: MDinana]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
you have me overmatched on most things, but since you said hurricane...some things I've found need of over the years

good LED light and headlamp...I'm old fashoned an use Dietz kero lanterns inside
radio that picks up NOAA
12v digital small screen TV
tent fan
I've tried to standardize my batteries to AA and D..
Teva style foot wear to allow feet to dry
hooded GoreTex rain jacket or coated nylon poncho
hard hat and safety glasses in case you really have to go out during the storm
towels
Coban style self adhering tape, as bandaids don't do will on wet skin

I can sleep in a folding camp chair, with poncho on, and mosquito netting draped over me for several hour cat naps... that gets me off the wet ground

#242951 - 03/11/12 09:48 PM Re: Bug-out Trunk Inventory [Re: MDinana]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
I would consider upgrading your stove to a multi-fuel liquid or propane stove. I see 30 triox tabs on your list, but it might be hard to replace them when they run out and then you have lost your stove. A multi-fuel stove or a propane stove will give you more options for a refill if needed.

For car carry, I like a two burner propane stove. Quick easy set up and tear down, and propane is easily available. Also, it may work out cheaper to buy a propane stove than one of the neat backpacking multi-fuel stoves.

#242954 - 03/11/12 10:59 PM Re: Bug-out Trunk Inventory [Re: bws48]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Good additions to the list - thanks. Hadn't thought of sandals ... rain gear I already have, but I don't think I would grab it if I was leaving the house. Maybe toss in an old poncho til I get some dedicated gear. Ditto the hard hat(s).

I actually have 2 MSR camping stoves in my camping gear. I suppose it would be easy enough to swap 1 into this box and grab a few more cans of fuel. My only problem is shelf life on the gas, since I don't use it much.

#242965 - 03/12/12 01:20 AM Re: Bug-out Trunk Inventory [Re: MDinana]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: MDinana

OK, so what am I missing? Multitool is on the list. Maybe a headlamp. Travel board game?

Thanks in advance.

You are well prepared.

Something I carry due to experience is a sturdy collapsible bow saw. and a tow strap. On one occasion, I was on a road in the woods when a windstorm came up and downed trees across the road, blocking my only route out. Another time an ice storm dropped trees across the road.

I was able to saw them up enough to hook the tow strap up to my vehicle and clear the way.

#242976 - 03/12/12 09:46 AM Re: Bug-out Trunk Inventory [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Byrd_Huntr
Originally Posted By: MDinana

Thanks in advance.

You are well prepared.

Something I carry due to experience is a sturdy collapsible bow saw. and a tow strap. On one occasion, I was on a road in the woods when a windstorm came up and downed trees across the road, blocking my only route out. Another time an ice storm dropped trees across the road.

I was able to saw them up enough to hook the tow strap up to my vehicle and clear the way.

Good thought. I have a few tow straps in the truck. I have a sierra saw w/ camping stuff - will toss it into this instead. Can't hurt to throw in a tow strap too, just to be safe.

#242994 - 03/12/12 01:10 PM Re: Bug-out Trunk Inventory [Re: MDinana]
williamlatham Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Stafford, VA, USA
I have used white gas that was probably 20 years old and it worked just fine. Both in the original can and my Seva 123.

Bill

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 474 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.