The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#243040 - 03/13/12 05:11 AM Re: Bear attacks vs armed people [Re: Bingley]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
If anybody was in Bear country,It most certainly was Timothy("No,No Mr.Bear!)Treadwell,& he certainly didn't Tread to well(pun Intended)So,Unless you are making Salami,I see no reason to keep beating this Dead Horse!(Pun Intended,Again!)

#243109 - 03/14/12 10:28 AM Re: Bear attacks vs armed people [Re: Richlacal]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Thanks for the info about recent knowledge about how well bear spray works.

Does anyone know about experiences with using bear spray on polar bears? My ambition is to make a new trip into polar bear country (Spitsbergen) within the next few years or so. Last time I was there, the general advice was to bring a heavy caliber rifle.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone demonstrates that pepper spray works on polar bears, too. Until then the old advice about guns still apply...

Don't know much about Alaskan or North American bears, but polar bears are notoriously unpredictable. Most of the time they will prefer to leave humans alone, but they can also be very inquisitive and turn aggressive at the spur of the moment.

#243136 - 03/14/12 06:16 PM Re: Bear attacks vs armed people [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless
Does anyone know about experiences with using bear spray on polar bears?

Tom Smith's study on bear spray effectiveness documented 2 cases where bear spray was used against polar bears; both successfully. It didn't sound like the bears were being aggressive at the time the spray was deployed though, but rather it was used to deter curious bears. The study stated:

In both polar bear incidents, subadult bears approached humans in a pickup truck there to observe bears feeding on bowhead whale (Balaena mysticetus) remains near the village of Kaktovik, Barter Island, Alaska, USA. In both instances (100%), bear spray stopped the bear’s approach and turned the bear away. Neither of these bears returned to the truck following spraying.

#244671 - 04/09/12 06:31 PM Re: Bear attacks vs armed people [Re: Bingley]
Denis Offline
Addict

I noticed the results of this study hit the news again a couple weeks back when Dr. Stephen Herrero presented his conclusions based on this and the bear spray study to the Fourth International Human-Bear Conflict Workshop.

After seeing this, I did a bit more looking around and found that the study at the centre of this thread, Efficacy of Firearms for Bear Deterrence in Alaska, is now available online here (scroll to the bottom of the article).

For those interested in this topic, this study published in The Journal of Wildlife Management makes for a good read. And more importantly, when we discussed this earlier we did so based only on brief reports of what the study found; now we have the opportunity to read what the experts involved actually published.

One interesting thing the introduction to this study pointed out is that until now there have been no real studies published on bear-human conflicts involving firearms. This appears to be the first study which has presented any data on the efficacy of firearms when dealing with bears.

#244683 - 04/09/12 09:25 PM Re: Bear attacks vs armed people [Re: Denis]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
I would be willing to bet that dead bears are not much of a threat to human beings.

Bob

#244685 - 04/09/12 09:52 PM Re: Bear attacks vs armed people [Re: ILBob]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Originally Posted By: ILBob
I would be willing to bet that dead bears are not much of a threat to human beings.

Except if the bear was rabid. sick
My favorite cautionary tale: rabid bear attacks family
http://times-news.com/archive/x1540401278

#244688 - 04/09/12 10:16 PM Re: Bear attacks vs armed people [Re: hikermor]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: hikermor
If the objective is to maintain a healthy ecosystem, spray is the better tool.

The objective should be for the human to stay alive. Anyone with different objectives needs to have their head examined. No offense intended hikermor, but I value human life over bear life every time.

Anyway, it's probably better for the ecosystem if humans stayed out of it in the first place.

#244718 - 04/10/12 05:23 AM Re: Bear attacks vs armed people [Re: ILBob]
Denis Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: ILBob

But, in a surprise confrontation, is someone's attempt to kill the bear more or less likely to result in their serious injury or death? I'd suggest it's more important to walk away from a potentially deadly situation than it is to try and chalk up a kill.

Originally Posted By: haertig
The objective should be for the human to stay alive.

I completely agree. I guess the good news from these studies is that the most likely survival scenario for people is also the one that allows the bear to walk away unharmed, but more wary of humans.

#244720 - 04/10/12 09:29 AM Re: Bear attacks vs armed people [Re: haertig]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
One of the elements of a healthy ecosystem is live, functioning human beings; there is no value judgement implied as to the value of bears versus people. In a good situation, all parties walk away.

#244833 - 04/12/12 05:18 PM Re: Bear attacks vs armed people [Re: Bingley]
drahthaar Offline

I have a lot less confidence in my ability to use firearms under pressure than I used to.

I stumbled on a couple of moose while fishing in a narrow creek. I was about 5 yards away from one and 10 yard from the other and I'd never seen one up close before. Picture a very large cow on stilts. The rack on one had to be 5 or 6 feet across. And they were not happy.

I retreated slowly and when I got to some logs I thought gave some protection, I went to get my pistol from my vest but I couldn't make my hand grab the zipper pull. I consciously tried 3 or 4 times and never got closer than an inch or two away. The only thing I can compare it to is being very, very drunk and just not having any coordination.

I don't think I would have been able to pull the safety tab from a can of pepper spray either.

Edited by drahthaar (04/12/12 05:25 PM)

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 226 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.