The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#242629 - 03/07/12 05:31 PM Ti - Tri Question for HikinJim
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
HJ (and the rest of you :-),

Now that you have convinced me that a Ti-Tri is the right stove to try, I have some decisions to make. Your advice is welcome!

Sidewinder vs conventional cone. Obviously the sidewinder is easier to store, but is it as efficient? Is it easier to feed in the wood fire in the sidewinder? Are there other considerations to think about?

Pot size and shape. I could get one for my MSR Titan Kettle (I have the alu. cone for this one) or for my Snow Peak 700, but a different pot might have advantages. Since my expected use is for short trips and the noon kettle on day trips, boiling water is the primary use. It would be interesting though to try some real cooking on it. Particularly on the wood burner. That would imply a wider and (relatively shallower) pot might be more useful. I also find that the above pots are too small (require 2 fillings or more) for a meal (entree and tea, and?). Are the larger pots inefficient for boiling when not full?

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Jerry

Edited by JerryFountain (03/07/12 05:33 PM)
Edit Reason: spelling

#242670 - 03/08/12 07:45 AM Re: Ti - Tri Question for HikinJim [Re: JerryFountain]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Hi, Jerry,

The Sidewinder with a 1300ml Evernew pot is about as efficient as a conventional Caldera Cone based on my testing with alcohol.

I think it might be slightly easier to feed wood into a Sidewinder configuration, but I don't think it's significant.

I like the Titan Kettle, and the Titan Kettle is a great solo piece of kit. I find that for two people the Titan Kettle is a bit small. You could get a titanium cone for it, but I really like the fact that I can put everything inside a 1300ml pot, especially since wood burning tends to get soot on things.

Quote:
I also find that the above pots are too small (require 2 fillings or more) for a meal (entree and tea, and?).
Me too, and there are some meals that require more than the standard 2 cups of boiling water. Again, I really like the 1300ml size. With a 1300ml, I can boil a full liter and still have enough "margin" that I don't boil over. In talking to the guys at Trail Designs, they mentioned that the 1300ml size was their number one best seller for the Sidewinder Ti Tri Caldera Cones.

Quote:
Are the larger pots inefficient for boiling when not full?
No.

HJ

#242698 - 03/08/12 04:55 PM Re: Ti - Tri Question for HikinJim [Re: JerryFountain]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
Jim,

Thanks, I guess this makes it easy, the sidewinder with an Evernew 1300 (unless you think there might be a better combo).

As always,

Jerry

#242759 - 03/09/12 02:07 AM Re: Ti - Tri Question for HikinJim [Re: JerryFountain]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: JerryFountain
Thanks, I guess this makes it easy, the sidewinder with an Evernew 1300 (unless you think there might be a better combo).
That's my pick out of the lot.

HJ

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Herman30), 166 Guests and 31 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03:13 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.