Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Thanks for info.

Pete

#244832 - 04/12/12 05:17 PM Re: COMPASSES [Re: ]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Normally I just roll my eyes on the YET again, 1 millionth statement on here, regarding where Brunton or Silva make their stuff or who owns who. But I am glad TimLarson mentioned that Brunton has changed up their line with the new OSS stuff.

I was at REI last week and all they had from Brunton was the new OSS models. Their base plate models go from 10B, 20B, 30B, 40B, and mirrored are 50B, 60B, 70B.

The 40B looked a lot like their old 8096 adventure racing model that I have, most of the base plate is the same, the bezel and pointer are different. The eclipse circles are actually smaller I think inside the compass.

I really liked my Brunton 8096 but it has a large bubble in it and no matter how many times I am told it doesn't affect it, I fixate and only take it out when I feel like playing around to verify another compasses heading. In a few months if the word on the OSS models is that they don't eventually develop the bubble, I will get a 40B to replace the 8096.

Interestingly enough REI no longer sells the Ranger model and Silva's stock was noticeably smaller. I checked while writing this if Silva still makes the Ranger and they do, but it wasn't in the REI store or their online site.

#244837 - 04/12/12 08:32 PM Re: COMPASSES [Re: ]
TimLarson Offline
Stranger

"I really liked my Brunton 8096 but it has a large bubble in it and no matter how many times I am told it doesn't affect it, I fixate and only take it out when I feel like playing around to verify another compasses heading."

Same thing happened to me after a year. Unlike the 8096, the O.S.S. 40B is to be USA-made, but still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

"I checked while writing this if Silva still makes the Ranger and they do, but it wasn't in the REI store or their online site."

Yes, Johnson Outdoors/Silva USA still makes their (North American) version of the Silva Ranger, the Ranger 515, now built in Indonesia. They appear to be addressing the criticisms of some customers by adopting a 2012 version with a bezel (dial) reminiscent of the older Silva Ranger. JO also ditched the heavily-criticized two-piece split mirror for a single panel with an etched sighting line.

Edited by TimLarson (04/12/12 08:44 PM)

#245177 - 04/22/12 04:17 AM Re: COMPASSES [Re: ]
Outdoor_Quest Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Central Oregon
This is has been a fine thread.

I really appreciate the input and discussion.

I carry the Silva Ranger with the old Brunton 8010G as a back up.

So I'd say my personal practical approach would be:

1. I alway carry a map set, not just one map.

2. I generally carry two compasses.

3. I carry and rely on my GPS a lot. I use a Garmin 60 with maps loaded for the area I will be in. I carry extra batteries and when opperating from a base camp, and when I leave the GPS on all day I put in fresh batteries as the day closes out.

4. I concur with Montenaro's thoughts about Terrain Association. These are my back country hand rails and provide visual clues along my path.

5 I orient my map regularly along my path.

6. I consult with my partners; I learn from them too.

7. I am comfortable with my map and compass skills.

8. Common sense is a wonderful thing.

Blake

www.outdoorquest.blogspot.com

#245414 - 04/29/12 01:15 AM Re: COMPASSES [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
TimLarson Offline
Stranger

Quote:
"General Reiner praised the Brunton compass, noting that Brunton has been supplying the military with it’s compasses for decades. 'When you go to war, you are only as good as the equipment you have, and the compass used by the U.S. Military is a Brunton Compass,' he said, to cheers from the audience."

Quote:
Umm, say again, over? Did Brunton take over the contract for the lensatic compass from Cammenga?

No, he was referring to the U.S. M2 artillery transit aka the Brunton Pocket Transit. It's always been made in the USA to my knowledge.

Some Brunton compass models, like the Eclipse line, were made in China. They had problems (print and markings wearing off early, permanent air bubbles, etc.) The new O.S.S. line of compasses are all made in the USA.

#246052 - 05/21/12 12:14 AM Re: COMPASSES [Re: widget]
jdavidboyd Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Hudson, FL
Originally Posted By: widget
I use a Suunto MC1G Global, The reason is that it has the global needle that will work properly anywhere in the world and because it is a very reliable, well made compass.
http://www.thecompassstore.com/sumcmimeco.html

I have an old (1970's) Silva Ranger that I used for many years but eventually got a bubble inside that kept getting larger until I retired it. I did not buy another Silva because the name Silva in the US now belongs to a different company than Silva Sweden and the compasses Silva USA sells are nothing like the genuine Silva compass. Most of the Silvas sold now in the US are made in Asia and are just not that good. The Brunton compasses sold in the US are made by Silva Sweden and are excellent. So, the choice for me is Suunto or Brunton.

I sent my circa 1984 Silva Ranger to Brunton and they replaced it for me. See what they will do with yours...

#246067 - 05/21/12 04:06 PM Re: COMPASSES [Re: ]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

WOW! This thread is sytill alive? I feel so old now. :,(

#246070 - 05/21/12 04:09 PM Re: COMPASSES [Re: widget]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Absolutely Widget. I've seen many tritium devices through my optics at night. Even the so called commando watch bands leak light.

#246085 - 05/21/12 07:58 PM Re: COMPASSES [Re: ]
widget Offline
Addict

Yes SD, your child has grown smile

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (NAro, Ren), 444 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.