Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#242488 - 03/05/12 02:08 PM Re: leaky water cans [Re: celler]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
All the dedicated water containers I have purchased have failed, often fairly quickly. Usually the problem has been with the cap or fancy spigot provided. The one exception has been Platypus, which flatten nicely for storage. Recycled plastic pop bottles are far more dependable. I prefer Gatorade 32 oz. because the mouth is fairly wide. The last time I shopped they were only 88 cents on sale, prefilled with some mildly pleasant fluid that did not contaminate the bottle for further use.

#242519 - 03/06/12 04:22 AM Re: leaky water cans [Re: yee]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
2 Liter Coke bottles work pretty well.

Nalgene bottles have been really good in my experience.

Any water I've purchased in a translucent container has failed. Same with translucent containers with kerosene or the like from the hardware store.

HJ

#242540 - 03/06/12 02:52 PM Re: leaky water cans [Re: yee]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Water is abundant enough that I carry only 1-2 quarts. Steel bottles or naglenes, upright in cupholders

#242576 - 03/06/12 11:27 PM Re: leaky water cans [Re: celler]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: celler
I would definitely obtain some type of dedicated water carrier like the Scepter products and not rely on cases of water in standard consumer containers like Zephyrhills or the like. These companies are using thinner and lower quality plastic in either an attempt to reduce costs or go green. They are not durable and subject to leak in adverse conditions.

Although it is unlikely for every container to leak, they cannot be depended on for multiple uses.

For what it's worth, buying water-container Scepters can be done from Canada. Also, LCI offers 5-gal Jerry Cans for about $20/each.

#242585 - 03/07/12 12:35 AM Re: leaky water cans [Re: MDinana]
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
Originally Posted By: MDinana
For what it's worth, buying water-container Scepters can be done from Canada. Also, LCI offers 5-gal Jerry Cans for about $20/each.

What source for Scepter have you used in Canada? Very few sources in the US and pricey.

Thanks.

#242605 - 03/07/12 05:41 AM Re: leaky water cans [Re: yee]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
I agree that how much water you carry depends on your travel plans and outside sources. In hot, arid climates 2 gallons might not be enough, given driver and passengers for two days. (When I stock emergency supplies in my vehicle, I plan to reasonably accommodate my passengers as well as myself.)

But most parts of the country I've visited outside the southwest, groundwater is never far enough away to be a concern. As long as I have ways to make it safe to drink, a reasonable starter supply seems more appropriate. Less space and safety concerns, and space is always an issue in my vehicles.

Not trying to convince anyone, just explaining myself (probably needlessly).

Also, in my experience there are no reliability issues using the new, thin containers used in disposable bottles of water. I think that Poland Spring was the first to reduce their plastic content, and I use that brand almost exclusively (please don't tell me nasty things about them, I like the taste). I have had both opened and unopened bottles of this type in my Jeep for months without ill effect, through this summer's record high temperatures (over 100*F for a week, a record in NJ) and multiple freeze/thaw cycles in the Winter. I've even refilled and reused them for weeks. I wouldn't trust the milky, translucent containers in extreme temperatures, but I have some in storage at home that are over a year old.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.