#242594 - 03/07/12 02:09 AM Re: Knife question [Re: Taurus]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: Taurus
Originally Posted By: Snake_Doctor
..... Knives are quiet ......

Plan on taking out a sentry on the way to work SD ? Rough place where you live grin

Every time I go into town I pack an extra quiet knife just in case I have to silently off someone along the way.

DUDE!!! laugh
Welcome back to the fire!! I just noticed you returned. I've been wondering how you've been doing for years. If you are serious about moving to Texas some day, drop me a line. I have contacts all over the place and will happily try and find you a job, house, dog, and edible plants. grin

As for me being a moderator, as far as I can tell it was more of everyone else stepping back instead of me stepping forward. After a while I was close to pulling my own CK-act when Hikin_Jim, Nighthiker, Tyber, and Chaosmagnet pulled me back from the edge. They do all the heavy lifting now, I just get to bust heads. It's very therapeutic. grin
-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#242599 - 03/07/12 04:20 AM Re: Knife question [Re: el_diabl0]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Retreating from the discussion of silently dispatching enemy sentries at the mall, I did try this modification to my Sypderco Tenacious, and found it does work but is not very safe or useful.

I personally have no problem opening the Spydie with my thumb, and in fact, I can open in quicker and easier than my assisted Kershaw Leak (the latter has a nub on the spine you have to locate and press to activate the assist). Meanwhile, the zip ties caught on the pocket lining and sometimes made it slower to get the knife out of my pocket, occasionally opening the blade enough to expose the edge before coming free.

The last straw was it just looked ugly. And as every good mall ninja knows, style points are awarded for appearance.

#242600 - 03/07/12 04:23 AM Re: Knife question [Re: el_diabl0]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama
I won't say that I wouldn't use my pocket knife as a weapon of last resort if it came to that, but that's not even close to why I carry it. I carry a handgun for use as a weapon, I view the knife generally as just a tool.

#242633 - 03/07/12 06:27 PM Re: Knife question [Re: el_diabl0]
UncleGoo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: CT
I can't carry a fixed blade at work. I carry an Emerson with the wave feature, because I can open it with one hand: I always seem to have something in my off hand. One of the first things I did was break the tip off, so it's also my screwdriver. If I have to get into a knife fight, my situational awareness was off, or I didn't hump enough ammo.

#242637 - 03/07/12 09:05 PM Re: Knife question [Re: UncleGoo]
Pete Offline
Veteran

reply to earlier comment ...

"It's hard for me to imagine what advantage you get from speeding up the opening of your knife like that by a fraction of a second"

It depends on your situation, training and skill. Against unskilled opponents, esp. where you've got some reasonable maneuvering room, the drawing of your knife is less critical. But against a determined opponent (esp. at close range), or someone who knows what they are doing, those fractions of a second are vital. With the right training and practice, that wave feature on the Emerson knife could be a lifesaver.

I would be the first to agree, though, that your best strategy is to walk away from a knife fight.
And I also agree with Montanero - that if you stay in the fight and your opponent does the same thing, then your chances of getting cut are pretty good.

Pete2

Edited by Pete (03/07/12 09:07 PM)

#242647 - 03/07/12 10:20 PM Re: Knife question [Re: Pete]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Pete
reply to earlier comment ...

"It's hard for me to imagine what advantage you get from speeding up the opening of your knife like that by a fraction of a second"

It depends on your situation, training and skill. Against unskilled opponents, esp. where you've got some reasonable maneuvering room, the drawing of your knife is less critical. But against a determined opponent (esp. at close range), or someone who knows what they are doing, those fractions of a second are vital. With the right training and practice, that wave feature on the Emerson knife could be a lifesaver.

If you have time to draw, you should have time for pre-emptive action (without drawing). At least in what I'm picturing anyway. Seizing the initiative may especially be crucial against trained assailants (i.e., better to take pre-emptive action than to draw and have to resort to reactive action). Maybe I'm missing something.

It still seems to me the time saved seems minimal. After some practice, you should be able to draw with the regular knob or hole almost as fast. It may take more effort than the wave feature, but you'll get there. The small time difference does not make me particularly want to run out and get a new knife. (And I always want to run out and buy a shiny new knife.)

I don't necessarily agree it's always the best to run away. Some people run faster than you do.

This sort of stuff is hard to discuss on the internet, and we should really stay away from becoming like one of those martial arts website where they practice time-honored art of word-do. Let me just reiterate the point I wanted to make (but probably obscured by all my talking): Get training, preferably a lot of training, if you want to use a knife for defensive purposes. Someone said owning a gun makes you armed no more than a piano makes you a musician. It's the same with a knife.

#242657 - 03/08/12 04:15 AM Re: Knife question [Re: chaosmagnet]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Thanks. Both are very good styles.

#242658 - 03/08/12 04:22 AM Re: Knife question [Re: Bingley]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

There is also the noise factor. I stumbled across some $60 dollar tanto folder Bodyguards for $3.00 at flea market and snatched them all up. One night in a dark alley three ruffians decided to try and rob me. The locking mechanism was so loud I was sure they had heard it. Fortunately deepening my voice and agressive movement towards them was all that was neccesary to defuse the situation. I alerted a passing officer and they were apprehended a few blocks away. Armed. Attitude can be a deciding factor in preventing trouble.

#242659 - 03/08/12 04:40 AM Re: Knife question [Re: Taurus]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Lol. Old habits die hard Taurus. And we have a lot of gang activity here. It's the condom principle: I'd rather have it and not need it, than not have it and need it.

Edited by Snake_Doctor (03/08/12 04:52 AM)

#242660 - 03/08/12 05:04 AM Re: Knife question [Re: bacpacjac]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Aw shucks jac. We're just bein' boys with toys.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 253 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.