Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#242512 - 03/06/12 03:22 AM Re: Knife question [Re: ]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

S&W HRT folder. It's sharp, hand filling, flips open by it's hilt and is $13 on sale at Big 5. A well made knife for the money and comes in plain steel or black.

#242518 - 03/06/12 04:19 AM Re: Knife question [Re: el_diabl0]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
KenK...on the other side though, it cost me 130 pesos and a Seiko watch for a brief examination of a balisong the second week downtown Angeles City, outside Clark AFB, Philippines 1972

#242520 - 03/06/12 04:43 AM Re: Knife question [Re: el_diabl0]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama
My EDC knife is a Kershaw Ken Onion folder with tanto point and assisted open, so there would be no point on mine. It's already quick enough I've almost got my thumb a few times by barely getting it out of the way, and the thumb stud is easy to hit without needing to be any bigger.

#242521 - 03/06/12 05:25 AM Re: Knife question [Re: KenK]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: KenK
Military combat aside, has anyone on this forum actually ever needed to use a knife as a form of self defense? If so, I'd like to hear the situation.

Usually the shorter the weapon is, the harder it is to use it. (Naturally I am speaking of impact/cutting weapons.) First, the modality of fighting is rather wide for the knife. To be competent, you cannot skip out on learning striking and arms' length grappling. Second, the inherent nature of fighting with a knife is not pleasant. You are also in very close, and the knife is a very fluid, fast weapon. That means if your opponent is armed with the same, you're likely to end up with a lot of gashes even if you win. If you have trained enough, you'll know that dropping your knife is a real possibility. Third, it takes a lot longer to get good with the knife than with a longer, more powerful weapon. The disparity is so big that at times you might wonder why you even train in it when you can just take a better weapon and be a lot more lethal. If you have to choose between a knife and a machete, grab the machete. If you have to choose between a machete and a sword, grab the sword.

I wouldn't recommend relying on the knife for defense unless you've gotten quite a bit of training; i.e., much more than a weekend seminar, like a few years at the least, preferably several years or more. Filipino and Indonesian arts are typically where you'd want to go. You also have to keep up your skills by constant training. Then you hope to God that if you end up having to defend yourself, you don't find yourself having brought a knife to a gun fight. The machismo factor is often what makes people talk about the knife.

There is a lot of misinformation out there, even if only indirectly. Recently there was someone advertising steel plates for flak jackets (or something like that). The manufacturer's website says their product will also defend against the knife. I guess they were thinking of the dreaded "stab" that you hear so much in the news, such as: "There was a stabbing last night!" (by an idiot who doesn't know how to fight with the knife). If you take a look at that jacket, it conveniently exposes the areas with major blood vessels. These are some of the prime targets for the knife, and in fact the jacket make these areas more visible. Thank you for wearing the vest. Now there are guiding lines for me, and you're bulky and slow.

I don't think it's a good idea to discuss actual self defense situations on a public forum.

#242522 - 03/06/12 05:39 AM Re: Knife question [Re: el_diabl0]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

As for the original poster's question on the mall ninja stuff:

It's hard for me to imagine what advantage you get from speeding up the opening of your knife like that by a fraction of a second. Defensively, if you really need that extra time, that means the opponent is already within fighting distance, and has probably launched his attack already. The fact that you're choosing to draw your knife says you're so skilled that you can spend time to get a weapon ready rather than responding with whatever you may already have in your hands (may be nothing). In that case you don't need to my opinion. I bow to the mall ninja.

The main application I see is impressing your friends. And also sneaking up on someone to attack him.

Edited by Bingley (03/06/12 05:41 AM)

#242548 - 03/06/12 05:15 PM Re: Knife question [Re: Bingley]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
My teenage kids have been in marshal arts for a long time (10 years now - Jr. BBs) and their instructor told them that the best defense for a knife attack is to run like hell - that the results of a real knife attack are so bad - so nasty - that running has better odds in the end.

#242551 - 03/06/12 05:50 PM Re: Knife question [Re: el_diabl0]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

It doesn't matter which end of the knife you are on, if you get into a knife fight, you will get cut. If you read a lot of military history, even in combat, when it comes down to choosing a weapon for close in fighting, most will choose something to bludgeon their opponent with instead of a knife. A knife is a tool. If things are so bad you only have a knife, run if you can.

#242556 - 03/06/12 07:16 PM Re: Knife question [Re: ]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Saw pic of Fairbairn and didn't see any scars. And if they were that cut up they weren't very good at thier craft. Just my opinion.

#242558 - 03/06/12 08:16 PM Re: Knife question [Re: ]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

when you fight, you get hit, whether you win or not. Unless you are the one doing the ambushing, and you do it with overwhelming and rapid application of force, you are likely to take some damage. That is whether it is with fists, knives, baseball bats or guns.

#242559 - 03/06/12 08:20 PM Re: Knife question [Re: ]
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

Loc: Arizona
Originally Posted By: Snake_Doctor
Saw pic of Fairbairn and didn't see any scars. And if they were that cut up they weren't very good at thier craft. Just my opinion.

The winner of a knife fight is the guy who is cut-up the least... to paraphrase someone who has more experience with knife fights: if you managed to get yourself into a knife fight you have failed everything since breakfast.

Edited by Alan_Romania (03/06/12 08:39 PM)

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.