Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#242467 - 03/05/12 01:32 AM leaky water cans
yee Offline

I decided on having 2 days water supply, which means approximately 8 gallons for four people.

I recycled a translucent plastic 2-3 gallon jug originally purchased from Costco. After about 6 months of use, I checked on the container. The plastic cracked in the car and about 1/3 of the water leaked out. Water jug to be discarded.

I purchased a Walmart blue/green 6 gallon plastic can, similar in size as a Scepter gas can (made in Canada so I suspect that it is also made by Scepter).

My questions:

1. The can I keep in a SUV is still full but I am worried about a rollover accident. What is a good way to keep the 40+ lbs of water properly secured? There are no good tie down points in the back of an SUV!!

2. The can I keep in a 4 door sedan can not be stored upright. It needs to be stored on its side. Unfortunately this means that the thing LEAKS from is cap. Is there superior water jug available or a way to keep the current water can from leaking?

Thanks.
Conway Yee

#242469 - 03/05/12 02:34 AM Re: leaky water cans [Re: yee]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I recycle one liter soft drink bottles, especially Gatorade. They are quite tough. I have never had one leak and the price is right. I prefer a dispersed water supply (lots of smaller bottles). A leaky container does not mean loss of your entire water supply. I usually wedge them under a seat or in the trunk.

#242470 - 03/05/12 02:44 AM Re: leaky water cans [Re: yee]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
Conway... I find it more convenient to just use a flat of 1L bottles..it's more convenient that way to rotate the stock... I use a couple of bottles each weekend at shooting matches... I try to not let the supply get to less than 18 bottles...they fit in a real milk crate along with a tarp, GI poncho, and mosquito net

#242471 - 03/05/12 04:15 AM Re: leaky water cans [Re: yee]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama
For a thin, flat container, the Water Bricks look like they would work well. Haven't tried one yet, but they look pretty decent. For attachment, how about a ratchet strap across the rear of the back seat? I have everything ratchet strapped down in the back of my Jeep and have them hooked to the seatbelt mounting points, body edges (no plastic back there), seat mounts, anything I can hook to.

#242477 - 03/05/12 07:05 AM Re: leaky water cans [Re: yee]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
It's good to carry water in the car. But maybe you can carry less water and add means of purifying groundwater to meet the same goal? That's what I do. Unless I'm going camping or off into the dessert, I usually only keep 1.5 gallons or so of water in .5L disposable bottles in a latching cooler strapped in the rear of the Jeep. Then I have an MSR Miniworks filter tucked into a saddle bag mounted over the rear fender.

Adding new tie-down points isn't hard to do. Just be sure to use appropriately-sized hardware with fender washers underneath so they don't snap or pull through. Find a good spot, look underneath for obstacles, then drill the holes. Spray the holes both sides with Rustoleum to prevent rust, and secure using fender washers and nylock nuts.

Another solution many off-roaders use is Rotopax containers from Outdoor Products (http://bit.ly/xisY3l). They have a unique mounting system that goes through the center of the container and has proven quite strong, even during rollovers. But the mount doesn't take up a huge amount of room when the container isn't needed.

They are a bit on the spendy side but do make for a safe and neat storage system. Aside from water and fuel containers, they also have storage modules you can fill with tools, food, first aid kits and other gear.

Oh, and as a bonus, they sell non-CARB/ECO replacement spouts that appear to fit standard containers.

Edited by Mark_M (03/05/12 07:06 AM)

#242478 - 03/05/12 07:14 AM Re: leaky water cans [Re: yee]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
I looked at the water bricks and like them, too. I especially liked the house built out of water bricks.

My son is a certified Legomaniac; even at 19 he still occasionally pulls out the bricks to model something. I think he would have a blast building a storage shed out of those things, but I don't think they'd be long-term UV stable.

#242479 - 03/05/12 10:00 AM Re: leaky water cans [Re: yee]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I don't know where the OP expects to travel but two days' water doesn't sound excessive to me, especially if there isn't much groundwater to be found.

We keep flats of bottled water in our vehicles. In the absence of a trunk and tie-downs, I'd consider a barrier to hold cargo in place.

#242481 - 03/05/12 10:12 AM Re: leaky water cans [Re: chaosmagnet]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I would agree that a gallon a day is about right. As a matter of fact, in summer desert conditions (southern Arizona, for instance), a mere gallon a day will be insufficient. It can be useful to supplement your water supply with alternative sources - canned fruit and similar.

#242484 - 03/05/12 01:16 PM Re: leaky water cans [Re: yee]
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
I would definitely obtain some type of dedicated water carrier like the Scepter products and not rely on cases of water in standard consumer containers like Zephyrhills or the like. These companies are using thinner and lower quality plastic in either an attempt to reduce costs or go green. They are not durable and subject to leak in adverse conditions.

Although it is unlikely for every container to leak, they cannot be depended on for multiple uses.

#242485 - 03/05/12 01:35 PM Re: leaky water cans [Re: yee]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Reliance makes some inexpensive containers as well. I found those at bigger sporting goods stores. They have a 1/2" pipe thread in the lid so I was able to replace their plastic valve with a laundry valve from a hardware store which allows me to screw on a hose.

A couple comments above brings up another issue, safely carrying things in the back of vehicles. Someone mentioned a cars trunk, but most of the car trunks I've ever seen the front wall of the trunk is simply the back seat of the car which means its just some thin strips of spring steel and seat fabric separating you from cargo in the trunk. That might hold a few bottles of water but as you start adding more gear such an an ax or shovel those could easily come through the seat in an accident. You need to secure things in your vehicles no matter what kind it is to insure yourself or others are safe. And securing means more than a bungie cord, those tend to snap when pulled too far such as in an accident. You can buy cargo straps for very little now a days and those should be one of the first items you get.
Even things such as screning a flashlight or fire extinguisher mount to the sheet metal with screws can pull out during the forces of a wreck. Likewise using wood to make cargo carriers, screws and nails can pull out. Always bolt or otherwise secure from the other side whatever you add in/on.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.