Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#242180 - 03/01/12 06:24 PM Re: Making fire in the rain: best practices? [Re: dougwalkabout]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
I am surprised that the solution of a big candle and a small Bic hasn't even been raised.

I mentioned that above, just not the same words. cool

#242183 - 03/01/12 06:30 PM Re: Making fire in the rain: best practices? [Re: dweste]
Meadowlark Offline

Loc: Northern Colorado

Has anyone tried using those re-lighting trick party candles in the rain? Just curious...
My knapsack on my back

Current kits: http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showgallery&Number=241840

#242198 - 03/01/12 07:31 PM Re: Making fire in the rain: best practices? [Re: dweste]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
Nor has my method of a small can of gas and a trip flare been mentioned. Only did it once, but it worked really really well.

And my platoon was very happy too.

#242199 - 03/01/12 07:59 PM Re: Making fire in the rain: best practices? [Re: dweste]
wileycoyote Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: north central west TX

hey bacpacjac:

help please - your link doesn't get us to the vid you mean

thnx!

#242208 - 03/01/12 10:22 PM Re: Making fire in the rain: best practices? [Re: ireckon]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: ireckon
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
I am surprised that the solution of a big candle and a small Bic hasn't even been raised.

I mentioned that above, just not the same words. cool

Aha! Yes you did. Missed that.

I haven't used a big candle-in-a-can, though I have used a tealight with some extra wicking like TP jammed down into the wax. Anything with a long-burning, insistent flame makes the job easier. I generally just carry a candle stub from those long-burning Ikea candles. And in various pockets, there will be a few Coghlans fire sticks (they don't get messy on you).

Around here, a few extra sticks and bark bits have generally been enough to shield the fledgling fire. I haven't had to make fires in the midst of the relentless monsoons seen in coastal areas.

#242211 - 03/01/12 11:24 PM Re: Making fire in the rain: best practices? [Re: Meadowlark]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Meadowlark

Has anyone tried using those re-lighting trick party candles in the rain? Just curious...

I haven't tested these in the rain, but I am impressed and slighted scared with how these trick candles stay lit. Note they do extinguish with a wet paper towel. So, rain may kill them too, but I think in the wind is where trick candles would shine. They seem to burn quite a bit faster than normal candles. I guess that's because the wick is thicker. They're small and light. I went ahead and packed a few of these in a car kit as backup.

#242221 - 03/02/12 01:08 AM Re: Making fire in the rain: best practices? [Re: ireckon]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
If you have wind playing around your fire, along with rain, task #1 is to devise an effective shelter. Until you do that, you are basicallyjust wasting your time and matches...

#242223 - 03/02/12 01:26 AM Re: Making fire in the rain: best practices? [Re: dweste]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

This is not in response to your post, hikermor, but this candle is claimed to resist wind, snow, and rain:

http://windproofcandles.wordpress.com/

However, I have not tried them. Usually, they have always been out-of-stock when I tried to purchase. (no affiliation) I wonder what's in them. The description says they're tealight candles, but the size is 8 cm or 15 cm. That should provide more perspective to the pics.

#242238 - 03/02/12 01:21 PM Re: Making fire in the rain: best practices? [Re: dweste]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
DS and I are going to try this Swedish Fire Torch technique this weekend. It seems like it would offer additional protection from the wind and rain:

http://m.youtube.com/?client=mv-google&rdm=4psit66ko#/watch?v=WfRovJ1KcCg

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#242277 - 03/02/12 09:39 PM Re: Making fire in the rain: best practices? [Re: dweste]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
I purchased a Brunton Storm lighter for this. One of the best things I have ever purchased for the outdoors. The little torch like flame is super hot and can be held at any angle. Perfect for lighting soggy stuff in a hurry or lighting tinder at odd angles without messing up the pile. I hear this type of lighter may have problems at very high altitudes but it has not been a concern of mine.

Don't laugh at the road flare idea either. I always have one in my winter pack. A 10 minute job cut in half and then sealed with hot glue on the cut end. I then seal the whole flare with my vacuum sealer to keep it waterproof and toss in the pack. Lightweight, easy to use and burns like hell for 3-5 minutes. With this I don't need to screw around with cotton balls, Esbit tabs or wetfire cubes. No cutting to the middle of dry wood or making fuzz sticks either, Just snap a bunch of wood by hand and toss the lit flare in the pile. It will flame finger to wrist sized pieces of wet wood with ease. I usually don't even need to remove my gloves.

Trust me, You can probably get a fire going with wet rocks using a flare.

On the other hand, Maybe I am just lazy ....

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 469 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.