Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#242281 - 03/02/12 10:22 PM Re: Making fire in the rain: best practices? [Re: dweste]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Taurus, what brand of road flare are you using? Sounds like just the thing after an accidental swim in a cold river.

#242282 - 03/02/12 10:23 PM Re: Making fire in the rain: best practices? [Re: Taurus]
ponder Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: American Redoubt
Originally Posted By: Taurus
Don't laugh at the road flare idea either. A 10 minute job cut in half and then sealed with hot glue on the cut end.

What has been your experience lighting the end of the cut flare?
American Redoubt
N43.9668 W116.1888

#242284 - 03/02/12 10:33 PM Re: Making fire in the rain: best practices? [Re: ponder]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
I don't.

I cut it in half and keep the end with the igniter. This is just to save space and weight. The hot glue keeps the insides from falling out.(Yellow sawdust like stuff) I get rid of the other half as its near impossible to ignite otherwise.

The vacuum seal is to keep the igniter dry. If that gets wet you are stuck with plan B.

#242287 - 03/02/12 10:50 PM Re: Making fire in the rain: best practices? [Re: dougwalkabout]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Sorry Doug, Didn't see this till just then.

I use the Canadian tire brand you gets in packs of two. (made by CIL I believe ?) The ones with the strike igniter like a big match anyway. There are some that require a lighter to get going. I never used those before.

Fell thru the ice once. Only up to my junk but still it was not a very happy day for me. I was really glad to have one of these along for the ride.

Edited by Taurus (03/02/12 10:54 PM)

#242288 - 03/02/12 10:51 PM Re: Making fire in the rain: best practices? [Re: Taurus]
ponder Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: American Redoubt
Originally Posted By: Taurus
I don't. I cut it in half and keep the end with the igniter. I get rid of the other half as its near impossible to ignite otherwise.

Thanks. That makes sense. I am now wondering how a rolled up piece of magnesium strip layed on the cut end of the flare and sealed in hot glue would work. At two minutes per inch burn rate, a two inch chunk should start most fires. If those light reliably, even one inch long chunks with 1" of magnesium sticking out be adequate.
American Redoubt
N43.9668 W116.1888

#242290 - 03/02/12 11:01 PM Re: Making fire in the rain: best practices? [Re: ponder]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Ponder,

I have tried my Storm lighter to light the other end with little luck. They are Very hard to light. It takes half the fuel in the lighter to get it going and it dosen't burn with the same intensity for some reason. I have yet to find a reliable way to create my own igniters so I gather the useless ends and toss them into the fire pit in the back yard when I am out having beers.

They only cost a few bucks each anyway.

#242345 - 03/03/12 09:21 AM Re: Making fire in the rain: best practices? [Re: dweste]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I've gotta pick up some road flares. My go-to emergency ignition source is potassium permanganate & glycerine. Burns pretty fiercely, wind and water seem to have no effect. Also, you only need enough fine motor coordination to unscrew the lid of the Baby Soda Bottles!

#242353 - 03/03/12 01:37 PM Re: Making fire in the rain: best practices? [Re: dweste]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the flare tip, Taurus. I think I'm going to have to try that!

I took a dunk in a frozen creek once when I was younger and I never want to be that cold again. I was lucky to still be within sight of my grandparent's farmhouse, and with my cousin, so I was out and dry within (what seemed like days) a short time. My teeth still chatter when I remember it though.

Edited by bacpacjac (03/03/12 01:41 PM)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#242414 - 03/04/12 02:05 AM Re: Making fire in the rain: best practices? [Re: Phaedrus]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
..... My go-to emergency ignition source is potassium permanganate & glycerine......

Hey Phaedrus,

If this stuff were to freeze and thaw a whole bunch of times does it still burn the same or does it degrade? Is it good over a long time period or does it expire quickly?

I never really played around with this combo only because everything in my pack tends to freeze solid in winter. (that and I never really found this stuff for sale anywhere)

But it burns and I like fires. grin
My interest is now oficially perked on this stuff and I may have to pick up some to fool around with.

On the other hand, my last emergency fire starter experiment was with home made gasoline-gel stuff and that didn't really go well. Maybe I should just stick to my road flares. Easier on the eyebrows.

#242435 - 03/04/12 11:23 AM Re: Making fire in the rain: best practices? [Re: dweste]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Taurus- I haven't used PP enough/long enough to say definitely. As such it's never my only tool (of course, only a fool would rely on just one). I've seen videos of it being burned in the snow so I guess it's not affected overly by cold, but I find the glycerin gets too stiff to pour when it's really cold. Supposedly anti-freeze works, too, but I've yet to test it.

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.