Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#242451 - 03/04/12 06:30 PM Re: Exotac MatchCap XL [Re: ]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Snake_Doctor
Hi Jac. I've done this. It works better to use a tiny eye bolt and nut through the lid. Waterproof with a bit of rubber or a drop of silicone. And it preserves the ferro rod.

Thanks Snake!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#242454 - 03/04/12 07:49 PM Re: Exotac MatchCap XL [Re: Phaedrus]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
No thanks to Phaedrus, now I have to spend $33 dollars on a firesteel, the NanoStriker XL. I just noticed it looking at the match case.

#242455 - 03/04/12 08:26 PM Re: Exotac MatchCap XL [Re: ]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Hi Jac. I've done this. It works better to use a tiny eye bolt and nut through the lid. Waterproof with a bit of rubber or a drop of silicone. And it preserves the ferro rod.

I'm not understanding something. What you propose is keeping the whole case intact and installing an eye bolt (?). I read what she wrote as something totally different. She wants to cut off the bottom of this case to put on her necklace.

http://www.amazon.com/SE-Waterproof-Storage-Container-Camping/dp/B002AYO7OE/ref=pd_sbs_sg_2

#242456 - 03/04/12 08:34 PM Re: Exotac MatchCap XL [Re: ireckon]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: ireckon

Maybe I'm not understanding. I read what she wrote as something totally different. She wants to cut off the bottom of the case to put on her necklace. What you propose is keeping the whole case intact and installing an eye bolt (?).

Exactly right, ireckon. I wear a necklace of a length of paracord with a photon on it. A tiny ferro rod would be a nice addition but I don't want anything bigger than the photon on it because it gets too clunky. The bottom part of those match cases seem about right. I could use the dremmel to make the plastic part even smaller.

http://m1105.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/backpackjac/IMG_20120303_163251-1.jpg.html

Edited by bacpacjac (03/04/12 08:36 PM)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#242457 - 03/04/12 08:44 PM Re: Exotac MatchCap XL [Re: Cauldronborn2]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Hey Cauldron. I'm not sure. I have a ton of them and just called the ranch and had someone look it up for me. It may have been an old catalog. I'm real sorry I was'nt any help. I'll try harder in the future. Sorry again.

#242459 - 03/04/12 09:14 PM Re: Exotac MatchCap XL [Re: ]
Cauldronborn2 Offline

Loc: UK
Hey not your fault. And you've been a lot of help even if you just proved that their not around anymore. I guess I'll have to take a look at the K&M match safes though I'm not too keen on two o rings and a piece of string to keep it shut.

#242460 - 03/04/12 09:43 PM Re: Exotac MatchCap XL [Re: Cauldronborn2]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
The closure on the K&M is quite secure. The kind of force that would accidentally open a K&M would give you much greater problems than merely lighting a fire.

#242474 - 03/05/12 05:31 AM Re: Exotac MatchCap XL [Re: hikermor]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Thanks for the reference; that is a very interesting site with an interesting product. I'll probably be ordering form them soon.

You mentioned tying one of the Firesteel toggles into your shoe laces and I wonder if that is always a good idea. Doe you run a chance of starting a fire inadvertently if you keep a steel in that location where it can be moving and hitting things, possibly creating sparks?

You have to strike it vigorously with something sharp to get sparks. It's not inconceivable I guess, but it's hard to imagine it happening. That's one thing to keep in mind, as well- you do need something to strike it with. A knife is great if the spine is sharp. Probably a multitool would have something. It needn't be steel but it does have to be hard and sharp.

You could easily keep that little toggle on a keychain or in anything with laces. One thing I should mention is that if you use it enough to wear all the coating off then you have to be mindful that it doesn't corrode. Not that it's a huge issue, just something to keep an eye on.

I'm a big fan of Ron's firesteels. I have at least a dozen, probably more. Recently I bought 3 of the toggles, two plain ones and one of the magnesium ones with a 'steel glued to it. They're not as easy to strike as a longer one would be but they do put out good sparks. Probably my overall favorite one for hiking and camping is the GobSpark Armageddon FireSteel with the Super Palm striker. The 'steel snaps right into the striker, protecting the rod and giving you a striker that fills the hands and makes lighting easy with winter gloves on. Right now I have three in red and one in black. No affiliation to the company, I'm just a deleriously satisfied customer. So few products give you much more than your money's worth, but these are one of them.

#242475 - 03/05/12 05:35 AM Re: Exotac MatchCap XL [Re: ireckon]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: ireckon
No thanks to Phaedrus, now I have to spend $33 dollars on a firesteel, the NanoStriker XL. I just noticed it looking at the match case.

The Nanostriker XL looks very cool. I did see a video review on youtube where the smaller version snapped off pretty easily in normal use. But the XL uses a 1/4" thick 'steel so it should be fairly robust. I like the idea of it since the tube helps protect it from corrosion. Just because I'm a Firesteel.com fanboy I'll probably buy one of Ron's tubes but I'm also seriously thinking of a NanoStriker XL.

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac

Thanks Phaedrus! That looks like what keving uses on his paracord bracelet. It could make a nice button for the new wool blanket poncho I'm working on...

Yeah, that sounds pretty cool. I'm not very handy with sewing/modding clothing- I take it a "toggle" is meant to be like a button? Kind of like an overcoat would have?

I'll have to seem if my mom can suggest a way to incorporate one into an article of clothing for me. She's an expert at sewing.

#242483 - 03/05/12 12:42 PM Re: Exotac MatchCap XL [Re: Phaedrus]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Dang it, ireckon- I guess we're even. I hadn't noticed the XL version of the Striker til you pointed it out, but I just ordered one along with a replacement 'steel. Although I'm very satisfied with my many Firesteel.com 'steels I'm always open to a new, innovative idea.

And since I had a 10% off coupon I ordered four boxes of UCO Stormproof matches and some assorted accessories...

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 423 Guests and 38 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
1 second ago
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.