Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#242391 - 03/03/12 09:34 PM Re: Exotac MatchCap XL [Re: Phaedrus]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
As an FYI I was messing around with the $1 Coleman's match case from Wal-Mart a few nights ago and was surprised to find that the cheap, tiny fire steel glued to the bottom does indeed work well enough to light a cotton ball with ease! I was actually pretty surprised.

I was surprised too. It gives me even more confidence for my real fire steels.

#242392 - 03/03/12 09:42 PM Re: Exotac MatchCap XL [Re: Phaedrus]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
As an FYI I was messing around with the $1 Coleman's match case from Wal-Mart a few nights ago and was surprised to find that the cheap, tiny fire steel glued to the bottom does indeed work well enough to light a cotton ball with ease! I was actually pretty surprised. Now after scraping it a dozen times to test it I'd say you probably aren't gonna get more than a couple dozen fires out of it at best before it's gone but in a pinch I'm glad to know it works.

Hmmmm... cutting off just that bottom piece with the small ferro rod attached, and drilling a small hole in the plastic base plate, could be a nice little addition to a survival necklace or keychain... might need to try it for my edc necklace.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#242403 - 03/04/12 12:13 AM Re: Exotac MatchCap XL [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
Cauldronborn2 Offline

Loc: UK
OK, did it have a screw thread?

#242432 - 03/04/12 07:42 AM Re: Exotac MatchCap XL [Re: Phaedrus]
Phaedrus Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I have some fire steels that aren't much bigger than a match. It might not be a bad idea for me to stick one in a match case just in case.

#242437 - 03/04/12 12:50 PM Re: Exotac MatchCap XL [Re: bacpacjac]
Phaedrus Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac

Hmmmm... cutting off just that bottom piece with the small ferro rod attached, and drilling a small hole in the plastic base plate, could be a nice little addition to a survival necklace or keychain... might need to try it for my edc necklace.

If you want something that's very small but vastly better, check these out. You can get pure fire steel or a titanium rod with a 'steel attached. I have two of the former and one of the latter and I'm very impressed with them. Lace them into your shoe laces, wear on your neck, etc. A nice product overall.

#242442 - 03/04/12 03:19 PM Re: Exotac MatchCap XL [Re: Phaedrus]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Thanks for the reference; that is a very interesting site with an interesting product. I'll probably be ordering form them soon.

You mentioned tying one of the Firesteel toggles into your shoe laces and I wonder if that is always a good idea. Doe you run a chance of starting a fire inadvertently if you keep a steel in that location where it can be moving and hitting things, possibly creating sparks?

This may be a far fetched possibility some places, but here in the southwest, serious fires have been started by accidental sparks. I have personally created sparks accidentally while working with steel tools in grassy environments, so it is a real possibility - not so much in the rain soaked Pacific northwest.

#242443 - 03/04/12 04:32 PM Re: Exotac MatchCap XL [Re: bacpacjac]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Hi Jac. I've done this. It works better to use a tiny eye bolt and nut through the lid. Waterproof with a bit of rubber or a drop of silicone. And it preserves the ferro rod.

#242444 - 03/04/12 04:35 PM Re: Exotac MatchCap XL [Re: hikermor]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Lol. Thanks. checks in the mail...

#242447 - 03/04/12 05:30 PM Re: Exotac MatchCap XL [Re: hikermor]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

He could tie it inside the laces kind of like a mil dog tag. Should be safe.

#242450 - 03/04/12 06:29 PM Re: Exotac MatchCap XL [Re: Phaedrus]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada

If you want something that's very small but vastly better, check these out. You can get pure fire steel or a titanium rod with a 'steel attached. I have two of the former and one of the latter and I'm very impressed with them. Lace them into your shoe laces, wear on your neck, etc. A nice product overall.

Thanks Phaedrus! That looks like what keving uses on his paracord bracelet. It could make a nice button for the new wool blanket poncho I'm working on...

Edited by bacpacjac (03/04/12 06:30 PM)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 342 Guests and 83 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Herman30
08:10 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.