Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#241818 - 02/25/12 07:37 AM Re: Exotac MatchCap XL [Re: ]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: hikermor

I would not agree with your "one match means one fire" comment. Particularly in a survival situation, where a person would be staying put, or at least stopping overnight, you would build a fire that would result in a bed of coals that could easily be rekindled the following morning. You can keep this up for days...

Hey, no fair! That's still the same fire! grin Obviously you're right- normally you'd hunker down in place and keep the same fire going. That would be the plan, anyways. Lots of things could happen that could force your hand of the situation could change in a way that made moving the logical choice.

Of course, there's the flip side of needing more than one match per fire. Hopefully you have plenty of good tinder to get a fire going and it goes with one match but that doesn't always happen. In any event, I don't want to make a big deal out of it, and if I didn't think they were worth having I wouldn't have bought such a nice match case! grin My first choice is usually a firesteel, then a BIC lighter, then matches. But that's just personal preference on my part. And I wouldn't think of going out on a hiker without some matches as backup.

Originally Posted By: LED
Thanks for the review Phaedrus. I'm also a match fan. Right now I'm using the UCO Stormproof match case. The only problem is the striker on the outside can get wet/damaged. Looks like the Exotac solves that problem.

I have a half dozen of those UCO cases in yellow or orange. I think they're pretty nice. Yeah, the striker being on the outside is asking for trouble they include extra material inside. The plastic UCO cases are hard to beat for the money! I bought mine from Amazon for $7 shipped, and that's filled with UCO Stormproof matches.

Originally Posted By: Snake_Doctor
I use the orange cases like you find at wal-Mart. Never had a problem with them. My first one is almost 30 years old and still serves as a mini kit. Recently I bought one by Coleman and was pleasantly suprised to find that it came with waterproof matches and a sizable striker strip inside a tiny zip-lock. I rut the matches in the zip-lock and tossed them in general gear for "just in case". Have any of you tried the brass Siva case with a compass on it? I have been considering it, but no one has one to examine. Thanks

Those cheapie $1 Coleman cases aren't really too bad. The matches are great but they're serviceable, and really free when you consider the case is a buck. The striker is terrific! I can't believe how big a sheet you get. And it will light every brand of strike-on-box I've seen including the UCO. I found that by cutting the UCO matches down by 3/16" or so they'll fit in the Coleman case.

No I haven't had a chance to try the brass ones.

#241822 - 02/25/12 12:41 PM Re: Exotac MatchCap XL [Re: Phaedrus]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
While we are talking aout match cases that work, there is the classic Marbles metal case. It does not include a good striker (the outside surface is scored for that purpose, but it definitely will not open accidentally). I have had that happen a time or two with the Walmart/Coleman plastic jobs, although not regularly.

#241827 - 02/25/12 02:06 PM Re: Exotac MatchCap XL [Re: ]
Cauldronborn2 Offline

Loc: UK
Strangely enough I've been trying to find one of the Siva match safes myself but I haven't found anywhere with them in stock, nether the brass or aluminum ones. Anyone have any ideas where to look?

#241992 - 02/28/12 02:45 PM Re: Exotac MatchCap XL [Re: hikermor]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

I find the marbles case a bit hard to open with warm supple fingers. Mine is in a box in the shed because I wouldn't want to risk it in winter.

#241993 - 02/28/12 02:46 PM Re: Exotac MatchCap XL [Re: Cauldronborn2]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Cabellas has them. In Black and Brass if I remember correctly.

#242233 - 03/02/12 07:27 AM Re: Exotac MatchCap XL [Re: Phaedrus]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
As an FYI I was messing around with the $1 Coleman's match case from Wal-Mart a few nights ago and was surprised to find that the cheap, tiny fire steel glued to the bottom does indeed work well enough to light a cotton ball with ease! I was actually pretty surprised. Now after scraping it a dozen times to test it I'd say you probably aren't gonna get more than a couple dozen fires out of it at best before it's gone but in a pinch I'm glad to know it works.

#242237 - 03/02/12 09:18 AM Re: Exotac MatchCap XL [Re: ]
Cauldronborn2 Offline

Hey Snake sorry for not responding sooner, I thought this thread was dead! I've looked on Cabela's website about a week or so ago and they didn't have them. In fact all the websites I've come across with a google search that have them listed seem to have been out of stock for some time. I'm wondering if Silva discontinued that line.

#242245 - 03/02/12 05:35 PM Re: Exotac MatchCap XL [Re: Phaedrus]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Yup. They work well. I've started a lot of fires with them over the years.

#242246 - 03/02/12 05:38 PM Re: Exotac MatchCap XL [Re: Cauldronborn2]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

NP Cauldron. I'll look through my catalogs and find you an item number for reference. As I remeber they do not name them as silva, but that is what people have indentified them as. Thanks for respondind and I'll be in touch.

#242256 - 03/02/12 06:58 PM Re: Exotac MatchCap XL [Re: ]
Cauldronborn2 Offline

I've tried looking under Silva match case/safe, brass match case/safe, aluminum match case/safe and match/matches both on their site and through google and had no luck. If you could give me a ref number I would be very grateful.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 414 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.