Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Topic Options
#242509 - 03/06/12 02:26 AM Re: Making fire in the rain: best practices? [Re: ireckon]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Hand sanitizer works very nicely as a fire starter and also as the fuel in an alcohol stove. readily available almost anywhere, including many offices, if you need fuel in an emergency.

#242515 - 03/06/12 04:08 AM Re: Making fire in the rain: best practices? [Re: hikermor]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Hand sanitizer works very nicely as a fire starter and also as the fuel in an alcohol stove....

What kind of stove in particular? I know sterno is kinda like jellied alcohol and works with a wick but what about a trangia stoves etc? I have never tried it personally. Just curious.

#242528 - 03/06/12 11:14 AM Re: Making fire in the rain: best practices? [Re: Taurus]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

The one occasion when I used it was with a Trangia stove (with a good windscreen). I had my essential nice cup of tea in about four minutes. It is much better than Sterno, especially since it comes in nice little 2 oz bottles which are perfect for one time use. I have even seen sanitizer put up in 3 oz bottles marketed as "TSA compliant."

#242535 - 03/06/12 01:08 PM Re: Making fire in the rain: best practices? [Re: dweste]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Here's a little visual aid:

The scene: 2 families + 4 days of pouring rain in a Provincial Park. That means the fire pit is the fire pit and cannot be moved. Here's what our's looked like this when we arrived:

Our solution? Baracaded fire pit, trap over fire pit, trenches, upside down fire with lots of local pine pitch and tinder brought from home to get it started, firewood protected under a tarp, continous drying of firewood beside the fire once it got going, teaching the kids to make a tripod and firestarters...

NOTE: You're not supposed to trench in a Provincial Park but the Ranger gave us permission because the rain was so bad.

FURTHER NOTE: Bringing firewood from home isn't always advisable or legal.

Edited by bacpacjac (03/06/12 01:19 PM)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#242549 - 03/06/12 05:19 PM Re: Making fire in the rain: best practices? [Re: dweste]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
looks like my June 2011 canoe trip,non stop heavy rain.i gave up on the fires and retreated into my baker shelter.
that sort of rain sort of gives you pause,what in the world could we do caught out on the trail with just pocket kits?

#242555 - 03/06/12 06:44 PM Re: Making fire in the rain: best practices? [Re: hikermor]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Hand sanitizer works very nicely as a fire starter and also as the fuel in an alcohol stove.

Don't take that for granted without testing!

I have only tested one particular brand of hand sanitizer. That one (70% alcohol) made a very lousy firestarter/fuel. Yes it burned, but not very hot and it took surprisingly much effort to get it going.

#242557 - 03/06/12 07:22 PM Re: Making fire in the rain: best practices? [Re: MostlyHarmless]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless
Hand sanitizer works very nicely as a fire starter and also as the fuel in an alcohol stove.

I have only tested one particular brand of hand sanitizer. That one (70% alcohol) made a very lousy firestarter/fuel. Yes it burned, but not very hot and it took surprisingly much effort to get it going.

Yes, I just tested some hand sanitizer sitting on my kitchen counter. It's 63% ethyl alcohol with Vitamin E of unknown quantity. I bathed a piece of inner tube in the sanitizer and tried to start a flame by using a spark from a ferro rod. Amazingly, a small flame actually started. However, the inner tube did not catch. The small flame must have been a fluke because, for the life of me, I could not repeat it. To make sure it wasn't my lack of skills, I tried igniting some jute. The jute quickly caught a flame from a spark, and the inner tube caught from the flaming jute.

These were ideal conditions in a garage. I now know the limitations of this particular hand sanitizer.

#242563 - 03/06/12 09:13 PM Re: Making fire in the rain: best practices? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS
...what in the world could we do caught out on the trail with just pocket kits?

Reminds me of a conversation I had with a co-worker long ago who rode a Honda Goldwing on long trips. I asked "what happens when it rains?".

He said "I get wet".

#242582 - 03/07/12 12:23 AM Re: Making fire in the rain: best practices? [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless

Oh I won't, That's what this forum is for, I can see if one of you guys tried it before my poor wife comes home to find me laying on the floor dead with an alcohol stove embedded in my face. I figure someone here has tried it before and either had it work or had the stove blow apart sending hot burning globs of hand sanitizer everwhere.

I have had enough accidents in my life to learn from others mistakes/experience when I can.

Edited by Taurus (03/07/12 12:24 AM)

#242598 - 03/07/12 03:26 AM Re: Making fire in the rain: best practices? [Re: Taurus]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Interesting results. Let me be more clear about my experience. I was using Purell (62% ethanol or thereabouts) as fuel in a Trangia stove, not in the open, and it was well shielded from the wind by a homemade wind shield I was trying out. I didn't put a stop watch on the trial, but I had nice hot tea in roughly four minutes; certainly soon enough to be practical. A different stove or an open pan might not provide the same experience.

Edited by hikermor (03/07/12 09:48 AM)

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 164 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by brandtb
04/03/24 08:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.