Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#242093 - 02/29/12 06:52 PM Re: Making fire in the rain: best practices? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Meadowlark Offline

Loc: Northern Colorado

Good topic!

Coming from a relatively dry part of the country, here's a couple of questions someone might be able to answer --

-- How does one keep the clothing/pancho/tarp covering from melting?

-- Is aspen as good as birch?

My first instinct would be to start a fire up under a boulder ledge or overhanging rock (we have a few of those) but I've also heard that this could be dangerous, because heated rock, especially in the colder months, can fracture, slip, and perhaps crush whatever's huddling beneath it.
My knapsack on my back

Current kits: http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showgallery&Number=241840

#242098 - 02/29/12 07:47 PM Re: Making fire in the rain: best practices? [Re: dweste]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
Medowlark,

Distance! If you are starting a fire the shelter needs only be a foot or two above the fire. As the fire gets going, it can do without the shelter (sort of). If you set up a tarp 6 feet or so above the fire, you can build a reasonable size fire without melting. Be careful not to get the fire too big, or the tarp will be a single use item. :-( I often use a plastic sheet as do many others.

Unfortunately, aspen is nowhere as good as birch. There must be a lot more pitch and/or a lot less water in the birch bark.

Under a balanced boulder might be a problem, but most overhangs in the rockies would be ok. You should watch out for wet rock, however. Rocks out of the river (or those overhangs that were waterfalls before freezeup) can explode as the entraned water goes to steam.

Respectfully,

Jerry

#242100 - 02/29/12 08:07 PM Re: Making fire in the rain: best practices? [Re: gonewiththewind]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: Montanero
Peter Kummerfeldt just addressed this in his blog:

Outdoor Safe Blog

Another option I have used in very wet environments is a railroad flare.

I have also carried tinder and kindling inside my clothes to dry it.
[/b]
Cutting into the center of larger pieces of wood will remove the wet outside.

I do not agree with this advice. I specificly disagree with this advice because it is incomplete.

Cotton wool balls make a good, easy to use firestarter. However [b] they are not sustained flame.
Substained flame means a firestarter that burns hot for several minuites. In practice that means Esbit, Wetfire, barbeque firelighters or the like.

I very strongly suggest that anyone reading this thread reference "David Canterbury" and/or "Wilderness Outfitters" on YouTube.

You will find that an eye opener.

Edited by Leigh_Ratcliffe (02/29/12 08:43 PM)
Edit Reason: Incomplete.

#242105 - 02/29/12 09:37 PM Re: Making fire in the rain: best practices? [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

But if you read it, the cotton is saturated with petroleum jelly, giving it a longer burn time and higher temperature. I have used this technique often in many conditions, and it works, even on wet kindling. They also have the advantage of being easier to find around the world.

#242111 - 02/29/12 10:40 PM Re: Making fire in the rain: best practices? [Re: dweste]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

You did note that oversaturated PJ's are difficult to ignite?
That's a major issue when you are loosing fine motor skills.

One alternative that can be home made is cotton balls soaked in melted candle wax. Only problem is that they can be difficult to ignite. They again need a PJ booster.

#242114 - 02/29/12 11:04 PM Re: Making fire in the rain: best practices? [Re: dweste]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I have had more difficulty lighting Wetfire cubes by spark than cotton balls and PJ. Sometimes, even when crumbled, they do not seem to take a spark. I have never tried to light an Esbit cube with a spark, will it work or do you need a flame? I have tried other items such as the grill starters, and they all needed a flame, I could not light them with a spark. I generally carry a combination of cotton and PJ, dry cotton balls, a tube of petroleum based lip balm and Wetfire tinder. Only a small amount of each, but together, I think it should work in most conditions. These along with a Blast Match or the new Sparkie, some REI or UCO storm proof matches and a cigarette lighter and I should be ready for everything except the Antarctic and Mount Everest (because neither have any wood to burn).

I have used wax based lip balms on cotton as well, and they work, with the same cautions as the PJ, do not over saturate.

#242115 - 02/29/12 11:19 PM Re: Making fire in the rain: best practices? [Re: dweste]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
If an overly saturated cotton ball is difficult to ignite, you can bring along an unsaturated cotton ball, lint or anything else that will catch a spark easily. Ignite that clean cotton ball/lint right next to the (possibly) overly saturated cotton ball. This may sound more complicated than it really is. I recommend experimenting once.

I like cotton balls mixed with PJ because it's nearly idiot-proof. It doesn't tax my fine motor skills. What I like perhaps even better is cotton balls mixed with Burt's Beeswax lip balm.

Even better than these is a candle-in-a-can which can be ignited multiple times to start a fire (e.g., to get kindling going). To get the wick on the candle going, you will need some shelter (to keep the rain off), dry cotton and a flint. Or, instead of the dry cotton and flint, just use a lighter to get the wick going.

#242116 - 02/29/12 11:21 PM Re: Making fire in the rain: best practices? [Re: gonewiththewind]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

You need a flame. Which you carry. Personally the lighter is always my first option.
Lighter, matches, ferro rod, everything else (bow drill, fire piston etc).

#242117 - 02/29/12 11:23 PM Re: Making fire in the rain: best practices? [Re: dweste]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I also carry the Spark Lite in my PSK, along with the cotton tinder and an added tube of PJ. All I need now is to carry some of those fire logs from the grocery store and I will be set for fire starting!

#242118 - 02/29/12 11:28 PM Re: Making fire in the rain: best practices? [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
Leigh,
Not trying to be rude but I side with Montanero.You should check his profile.He has real world experience.I have had Wetfire fail on me also.All it takes is a tiny pinhole in its packaging and the volitility gases out.Tinderquick or PJ cotton balls work period.Again practice makes perfect.

BOATMAN
John

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 418 Guests and 50 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.