Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#242046 - 02/28/12 10:44 PM Re: Cruise Ship Disaster - Storys On Television [Re: Frisket]
GarlyDog Offline
τΏτ
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
The expert's on the show were convinced that had the ship remained in deeper water, it would have rolled and sunk. The hull damage was too extensive for the ship to remain floating for very long. Water was pouring in by the ton and too many flood compartments were damaged for the 'ship-as-a-lifeboat' concept to have been viable.

Anyone below deck would have been in trouble. Casualties would have been 'Titanic-like' had this played out in deep water, which was less than 100' feet from where they ran aground. The margin between this scenario and total disaster was less than 100'.

The wind pushing the ship aground is believed to have saved hundreds of lives and maybe even most of the lives on-board.

#242054 - 02/29/12 01:03 AM Re: Cruise Ship Disaster - Storys On Television [Re: Frisket]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
I can't remember if I heard this here or in the video: Captains will cruise close to land as long as possible, instead of zooming out to deep sea. They'll do this because the view out there is rather boring (all water).

I would like to see cruise ships change this policy as a result of this disaster. I don't want captains merely being more careful while cruising near the shore. I would prefer if the captain zooms out to sea as soon as possible, and only remain this close to shore if necessary for docking.

#245199 - 04/23/12 12:11 AM Re: Cruise Ship Disaster - Storys On Television [Re: Frisket]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
It turns out some people did jump from the ship into the water. Here is a video captured from a helicopter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucxfdfDzTvY

Quote:
"It was easier for people to jump into the sea because we were on the same level as that water so some people pretty much just decided to swim as they were not able to get on the lifeboats."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/jan/16/british-survivors-recall-costa-concordia

#245233 - 04/23/12 10:34 PM Re: Cruise Ship Disaster - Storys On Television [Re: ireckon]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Quote:
"It was easier for people to jump into the sea because we were on the same level as that water so some people pretty much just decided to swim as they were not able to get on the lifeboats."

Knowing how high these cruise ships are above the waterline, if you're at the rail and you end up about level with the sea, then that ship is in a lot of trouble!

Here's a question for any members who have practiced abandoning ship in the service might have any insight into--can you jump 20 or more feet into the water without the force of the water ripping your floation vest off? I'm talking about the big, padded type that your typical cruise ship passenger has. With your typical feet-first jump, I could easily imagine many people just squirting out from their vest when they hit the water if the straps aren't tight or else the straps themselves ripping out at the seams.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle, Ren), 394 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
1 second ago
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.