Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#241969 - 02/28/12 12:03 AM Re: Is there a safe way to tie a paracord lanyard? [Re: ireckon]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: ireckon
However, I don't see why you think the O-ring needs to be away from the stuff that is being lanyard.

I think the argument is along the lines of if a spinning piece of machinery catches both knotted ends of your landyard (very possible, since they are right next to each other) and yanks you, where's the failure point in this case? There is none.

Of course, anything that only pulls on one "side" of the lanyard will cause the loop to open and you're safe.

Edit: Beat me to it! smile

Edited by Arney (02/28/12 12:03 AM)

#241977 - 02/28/12 01:16 AM Re: Is there a safe way to tie a paracord lanyard? [Re: yee]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Good points! I'm glad I posted pics for me to improve my design...

#242023 - 02/28/12 06:07 PM Re: Is there a safe way to tie a paracord lanyard? [Re: ireckon]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California

Looks pretty hangman-proof to me now! Is that breakaway point right on the back of the neck, or did you offset it a bit? Can't quite tell from the photo.

#242028 - 02/28/12 06:25 PM Re: Is there a safe way to tie a paracord lanyard? [Re: Arney]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Arney

Looks pretty hangman-proof to me now! Is that breakaway point right on the back of the neck, or did you offset it a bit? Can't quite tell from the photo.

It's centered on the back of the neck. Since that pic, I made the knots even smaller by using simple overhand slip loops at the O-ring.

#242035 - 02/28/12 08:45 PM Re: Is there a safe way to tie a paracord lanyard? [Re: yee]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Might I suggest replacing the knots with split rings? It will make for a flatter and more comfortable joint, and make o-ring replacement faster.

You should be able to get very small (6-9mm) split rings at any craft or fishing tackle store. Run about 1-2 inches of cord through the ring, fold it back on itself to make a 1/2 turn, and serve or whip the cord to itself to form an eye through the split ring. Use the paracord internal strands for whipping and use generic tacky glue or Beacon Fabri-tac on the whipping to make sure it won't unravel.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#242562 - 03/06/12 08:59 PM Re: Is there a safe way to tie a paracord lanyard? [Re: yee]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Not to re-ignite an old topic, but I built a lanyard with a 3/4" o-ring as the breakaway. It took about 15 to 20 lbs to snap the o-ring by itself. So, figure aout 30-50 lbs of force on the lanyard before it breaks free. While it won't rip your head off, I wouldn't place money on getting away injury free.

The breakaway buckle I scavenged from a Home Depot lanyard snapped at about a third of the force. I adapted it to a cord lanyard using d-rings, but in retrospect I also could have used a prusik knot.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#250687 - 09/06/12 06:54 PM Re: Is there a safe way to tie a paracord lanyard? [Re: yee]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Here are pics of a breakaway that includes a Double Overhand Noose (ABOK #409) clamped down on a bight. This is the first all-cord breakaway I've considered using. The bight is a simple trick but is necessary. Otherwise, the burned notch on the end gets caught in the noose, and then the breakaway is unreliable.

#250697 - 09/06/12 10:22 PM Re: Is there a safe way to tie a paracord lanyard? [Re: yee]
drahthaar Offline

My solution -

Take one end of the line and tie a uni-knot (or any other form of slip-knot) over the other end of the line and then pull the line so that about an inch or so of line protrudes beyond the knot.

If there is a strong pull on the lanyard, it will pull through the uni-knot.

By pulling on the tag end of the knot, you can adjust the tension.

I've used this for years on lanyards I've used for duck calls and dog whistles and it's worked well.

#250698 - 09/06/12 11:14 PM Re: Is there a safe way to tie a paracord lanyard? [Re: yee]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
If the above ideas don't work for you ... I went this more "commercial" route:

http://www.lighthound.com/Lanyard-Break-Away-Connector_p_737.html

#250794 - 09/10/12 04:23 AM Re: Is there a safe way to tie a paracord lanyard? [Re: yee]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
This was a very helpful thread ... thanks for the ideas. I put a couple of them into practice and like the results so far:

First, I liked the idea of the small loop where the gear attaches to the lanyard. Second, I thought the idea of using clasps from gloves was brilliant. I found a one-piece clasp from an old pair of gloves and attached it to a couple small loops I made in the cord end.

In all, I think it is a definite improvement over the simple loop of cord I used previously.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 509 Guests and 40 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.