Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11 12 >
Topic Options
#241650 - 02/23/12 12:33 AM Re: Primary Survival Knives [Re: ]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Moras are probably the best bush crafting and survival knife out there next to Opinels. You can get a decent Mora and a decent Opinel for $30 together total. I love mine.

I love Opinels and have several, but I discovered a problem with them. If they get wet, even a little, the wood swells and you can't open them with your fingers.

#241656 - 02/23/12 01:11 AM Re: Primary Survival Knives [Re: ]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
They could probably fix it with a very thin nylon washer on each side of the blade pivot pin. Thats the point where it seizes.

#241668 - 02/23/12 03:04 AM Re: Primary Survival Knives [Re: ]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
I would have to say my Leatherman-Crunch,as I have it on me more often than not,then a Kershaw-1/2 ton in my front pocket,these 2 are my edc in the wire.When hiking,my RSK-MK.2 for primary,a ColdSteel-Bushman (with a 5/32"chainsaw file) for secondary with a Buck-Prince in my front pocket,of course I'll have the L-Crunch & ditch the 1/2 ton as, it's more suited for citylife.I will pack a Mora on occasion,or a Buck-110,depending on my activity/destination.

#241672 - 02/23/12 03:22 AM Re: Primary Survival Knives [Re: ]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the tips on the Mora Bushcraft Survival. I want a new fixed blade and love that it has a firesteel and sharpener attached to the sheath. I'm going to have to check that out!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#241677 - 02/23/12 04:08 AM Re: Primary Survival Knives [Re: ]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
LOL! Good to know, Izzy. That's high praise in my books.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#241680 - 02/23/12 05:25 AM Re: Primary Survival Knives [Re: ]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

I like the Benchmade Griptilian. Doug Ritter speaks well of this knife, and as we know he has his own modifications. But even unmodified, it's a good knife. Well-balanced, ergonomic, the right length for most tasks, and a good compromise between agility and robustness. It's a very good EDC knife. I can't speak to wilderness survival since I don't have experience with that.

Someone mentioned the Cold Steel Recon tanto. I have one, too, but I'm not a big fan of it. It seems good for splitting things, but it's top heavy, the blade is too thick and too long, and the hilt is nothing to write home about. I don't find the knife that maneuverable. I've seen some other Cold Steel products, and they seem to go overboard with robustness for my taste.

#241682 - 02/23/12 06:38 AM Re: Primary Survival Knives [Re: ]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
This is what I currently take into the wilderness:

A Grohmann Outdoor Knife (factory second) and a Wenger Evolution S13.

That said, I am currently being tempted by a Bushcrafter with a Scandi grind by Blind Horse Knives.

#241683 - 02/23/12 06:48 AM Re: Primary Survival Knives [Re: Denis]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
That Grohmann is a nice looking knife. I like the lines of it. I've never heard of that brand before.

#241684 - 02/23/12 07:05 AM Re: Primary Survival Knives [Re: haertig]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Grohmann Knives is a Canadian knife manufacturer based in Pictou, Nova Scotia.

Unfortunately this design isn't a part of their current line of knives; my understanding from Grohmann is that this was Duck Unlimited's (USA) Hallmark knife in 2006. I picked up a factory second they were selling through their clearance page.

#241685 - 02/23/12 07:10 AM Re: Primary Survival Knives [Re: ]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
It would be impossible for me to pic one! Forced to chose I guess I'd pick my Ontario RAT-7. It's really more of a camping blade than survival blade but it's a terror with wood processing. And I can carry a multitool in the pouch on the sheath. I've got a Felknivven F1 that I really like too, as well as an ESEE RAT3.

I love me some Moras! I have probably 30 of them. They are indeed very sharp but they don't hold their edge well working with hard wood. This might be blasphemy but I've converted several of my Moras to convex edges for strength. For a long time my Mora Tri-Flex was the survival blade I carried on my Maxpedition 12 x 5 water bottle survival kit; last year I replaced it with an SOG Field Pup. It's a bit more robust and the sheath has MOLLE attachments, better securing it to the Maxpedition. Plus I like the little pouch on the sheath- it's perfectly sized to fit my BlastMatch.

Page 3 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11 12 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.