Page 8 of 12 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 >
Topic Options
#241828 - 02/25/12 02:09 PM Re: Primary Survival Knives [Re: quick_joey_small]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: quick_joey_small
>Are you saying that knives are "virtually useless"

Yes that's what I'm saying. But only for UK camping and walking. We have no dangerous animals and nowhere to make fires or shelters. I've almost never used my SAK outdoors. It's more an office tool.

qjs

I have carried a small knife since I was in gradeschool. I use it every day, and I can't imagine being without one. Where I live, I would have to drive for many hours to get to a place where I couldn't see a river, a lake, or a tree. Even in those places there are cougars, rattlesnakes, and coyotes, but no heather.

My ancestors left Ireland in the late 1800's, and it's on my bucket list to go back there someday to see what it's like. Maybe an item for your bucket list could be to come here to the great boreal forests and experience the wilderness.

#241829 - 02/25/12 02:11 PM Re: Primary Survival Knives [Re: quick_joey_small]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA

Yes that's what I'm saying. But only for UK camping and walking. We have no dangerous animals and nowhere to make fires or shelters. I've almost never used my SAK outdoors. It's more an office tool.

qjs

I respectfully disagree. A knife is one of humanity's oldest tools. While it may be uncommon or rare to need one while camping or walking in the UK, it's still very hard to improvise if you do end up needing to cut something, even if that's just a hopelessly knotted shoelace.

If you're not planning to practice bushcraft and there's no bush for you to craft on, sure, it doesn't make sense to bring a large knife that just adds weight and bulk. Perhaps a small folder or even the blade on a multitool is right for that sort of activity.

#241831 - 02/25/12 03:01 PM Re: Primary Survival Knives [Re: chaosmagnet]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I think we all agree that the environment and the surroundings determine the need for, and the type of cutting instrument that is optimum. I am kind of dismissive of the crying need for a Rambo knife on land, but let's change the setting.

If you are out on the water, either real water like the Santa Barbara Channel or those glorified teacups they call lakes in Minnesota,:) you definitely need a knife, probably a fixed blade. Although it doesn't need to be long, it does need to be sharp. On a vessel there are too many lines, and too many chances for critical entanglement (in propellers and things like that). If you are going underwater, a knife that is in easy reach is essential and absolutely necessary. This is one environment where a Rambo style shines (unless you let it get rusty, but that would never happen, would it?).

#241834 - 02/25/12 04:08 PM Re: Primary Survival Knives [Re: ]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
The best knife, in my opinion, is the one that you have with you when it's needed AND the knife that you are comfortable with using for the task at hand.

I myself, for backpacking and camping trips, I carry a SAK, a KaBar (7" blade) and a short machete. That handles whatever I come up against down here in Lousy-anna. I may leave the machete behind but I will never leave the SAK or the KaBar behind.

#241836 - 02/25/12 05:03 PM Re: Primary Survival Knives [Re: ]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
>>My ancestors left Ireland in the late 1800's, and it's on my >bucket list to go back there someday to see what it's like. Maybe an item for your bucket list could be to come here to the great boreal forests and experience the wilderness.

Well Hello Paddy! With you on the visiting wilderness; why do you think I'm on this site? If I planned on only walking here I'd be on a UK walking camping site.
My parents left Ireland in the 1940s; you really should get there. What makes it is the Irish are so friendly and funny. Country is even tamer than here. Not a hill you can't see the roads and houses from.

> While it may be uncommon or rare to need one while camping or walking in the UK, it's still very hard to improvise if you do end up needing to cut something, even if that's just a hopelessly knotted shoelace.

Absolutely!
As I said; I do carry a SAK. This is regarded as almost an amusing eccentricity here.
But have to admit I can't think of a time I couldn't have improvised something else walking/camping. Guy lines can be burnt, thread simply pulled apart. Lock knives are illegal here; so I can't use the SAK for anything too rugged. If it was legal I'd carry a fixed blade. This is a survival site; I'm with you all on preparing for the worst.

qjs

#241837 - 02/25/12 05:19 PM Re: Primary Survival Knives [Re: quick_joey_small]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin

qjs

Huh, I just used my mini-Mk1 to open a package, then I sat down to eat a banana and used the Mk1 to slit the top to make it easier to peel. ... and that was just in the last few minutes.

When camping the knives get used for cutting cord (I some disposable binder twine in addition to the better paracord and other cordage), whittling, making small kindling, opening food packages, cutting veggies and meat, and more. It seems I'm always pulling it out.

I have NEVER EVER carried a knife as a weapon. Its a tool ... like pliers or a wrench or an axe. That's not to say that if someone - or something - attacked me, I would be using whatever I had on hand as a weapon ... and honestly, I think pending a gun, I'd rather have a large striking device (thinking club-like) than a knife.

#241838 - 02/25/12 08:38 PM Re: Primary Survival Knives [Re: hikermor]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: hikermor
If you are out on the water, either real water like the Santa Barbara Channel or those glorified teacups they call lakes in Minnesota

Here's a map of a small section of the state and a picture of one lake.....only 14,999 lakes to go!

Attachments
map.png

2011-sunset1.jpg

#241839 - 02/25/12 08:44 PM Re: Primary Survival Knives [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Oh, and I almost forgot the 'big one'!

Be sure to click the sunset link for a big pic

Attachments
sunset727b.jpg (796 downloads)
lake_superior_2.jpg

4102.jpg

#241845 - 02/25/12 09:20 PM Re: Primary Survival Knives [Re: hikermor]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

This is true. Also note that a fixed blade probably would have done the cat in, maybe not immediately, but they would have had a blood trail to follow. And if found they could eliminate the possibility of rabies and a series of painful injections for the boy.

#241846 - 02/25/12 09:54 PM Re: Primary Survival Knives [Re: ]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
Originally Posted By: Snake_Doctor
This is true. Also note that a fixed blade probably would have done the cat in, maybe not immediately, but they would have had a blood trail to follow. And if found they could eliminate the possibility of rabies and a series of painful injections for the boy.

Are you saying a fixed blade that was larger than the 3.5" folder that was used?

Page 8 of 12 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.