The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#241585 - 02/21/12 08:31 PM Re: Does combat gauze really expire? [Re: Arney]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Arney
...if you or someone you regularly go to the range with is on some blood thinner (especially something prescription strength) then a clotting agent like kaolin may not help much.

That's a well thought out concern, but it looks like CG has that base covered too:

"Two-hundred (200) patients treated with aspirin, clopidogrel, LMWH and warfarin regimens were either treated with QuikClot Interventional (n=100) or standard manual compression (n=100) following catheterization by femoral approach. In the QuikClot Interventional group, hemostasis was achieved in a mean time of 5.4 minutes and all patients ambulated by 4 hours. QuikClot Interventional demonstrated advanced clotting and much earlier ambulation times in comparison to the standard of care (12 hours), especially for patients treated with anticoagulant therapies."

CELOX gauze is a competitor to CG, and I have read that CELOX is effective on patients using bloodthinnners as well.

Edited by Glock-A-Roo (02/21/12 08:33 PM)

#241588 - 02/21/12 10:03 PM Re: Does combat gauze really expire? [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Glock-A-Roo
That's a well thought out concern, but it looks like CG has that base covered too

Ah, interesting. That's a hot off the presses result (2011). I should look up the article some time.

The last time I had looked into this issue was quite some time ago and was back when powder and granules were still the main method of application. The research I saw back then didn't show that they worked well on people on anticoagulants (or else not much research had been done with anticoagulants yet--I forget what the situation was back then).

By the way, I was just looking and it seems that HemCon now sells their chitosan-impregnated trauma bandages to the public, but it looks like you have to indicate that you are expressly buying it for non-military use. (Over at one of my favorite first aid supply websites, there is a checkbox that says "I verify that I am purchasing for Non-Military Use.")

Celox is also another chitosan-based product besides HemCon. The fact that the chitosan-based bandages don't generate heat makes them more attractive to me. If used as directed, the exothermic products should be safe, but that's the problem with a real life emergency--they often don't go "as directed".

Edited by Arney (02/21/12 10:57 PM)

#241602 - 02/22/12 04:31 AM Re: Does combat gauze really expire? [Re: Bingley]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Wow, good information there! Who knew it was just the humble clay? (A part of me was like: what!??? Are you kidding me??? DIRT? DIRT?) I remember reading some British novels as a kid. They were unabashedly not very nice in their portrayals of the "natives" that the British Empire conquered. Anyway, I still recall this description about the supposedly ignorant, savage natives using dirt to dress battle wounds. The novel made fun of them, but heck, now we're putting kaolin clay in gauze!

It sounds like the short shelf life (3 years according to the manufacturer) had in mind the rigors of military use. If the main active ingredient is inert, then stored in good condition, combat gauze could last longer than three years. I'm not sure whether I'd take the risk myself, but it's good to know nevertheless.

#241626 - 02/22/12 06:32 PM Re: Does combat gauze really expire? [Re: Bingley]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Bingley
The novel made fun of them, but heck, now we're putting kaolin clay in gauze!

Duh, I totally missed the fact that QCG now uses kaolin as the coagulating agent, not a zeolite-based agent anymore. (I need to read more carefully!) No wonder QCG performs differently on people taking anticoagulants than what I had read in the past about QuikClot. OK, now that makes more sense to me.

As an aside, the diarrhea medication Kaopectate (and other brands) used to use kaolin clay as their primary ingredient, so many of us have been benefitting from using clay for a long time. Kaolin was phased out of all of those meds back in the 90's IIRC, but most brands retained the "kao" brand names.

#241662 - 02/23/12 01:56 AM Re: Does combat gauze really expire? [Re: Arney]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: Arney
Originally Posted By: Bingley
The novel made fun of them, but heck, now we're putting kaolin clay in gauze!

As an aside, the diarrhea medication Kaopectate (and other brands) used to use kaolin clay as their primary ingredient, so many of us have been benefitting from using clay for a long time. Kaolin was phased out of all of those meds back in the 90's IIRC, but most brands retained the "kao" brand names.

Too bad for future archaeologists; might have been a good source of human coprolites. They really were sh**ting bricks!

#241674 - 02/23/12 03:33 AM Re: Does combat gauze really expire? [Re: Bingley]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
The Real question should be"Will I expire,If I use old combat gauze?"& my answer would be"As long as it isn't Used combat gauze,You should be just fine!"

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.