Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#241243 - 02/15/12 07:38 PM Re: Carrying passwords... [Re: quick_joey_small]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Be careful with that stuff. It seems complicated at first, but once you have practiced a few times, it is difficult to stop doing it. it is like a virus.

#241245 - 02/15/12 07:59 PM Re: Carrying passwords... [Re: gonewiththewind]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Most of my passwords, the secure ones always, are a series of motions on the keyboard. I do not think of them as letters, numbers and punctuation characters. These are super-secure once you get the hang of creating them effectively. However, I cannot even tell you what these passwords are, unless I have a keyboard in front of me to type them on and look at the result. It's like playing the piano. You don't think of individual notes when performing, you think of the phrasing, expression, and where you are going with it (not the individual notes to get there). Sounds weird, I know, but then I'm just a geeky engineer (and a pianist!)

#241258 - 02/16/12 01:21 AM Re: Carrying passwords... [Re: TeacherRO]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Until you get a new keyboard smile

#241278 - 02/16/12 06:52 AM Re: Carrying passwords... [Re: Eugene]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Eugene
Until you get a new keyboard smile

I once tried to check mine email in Switzerland, i couldn't. I just could not type mine password on a Swiss keyboard...

#241302 - 02/16/12 06:40 PM Re: Carrying passwords... [Re: Tjin]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Hmmm... you bring up a very good point. I doubt I could type my password ("a series of movements on the keyboard") even on one of those ergonomic curved/split keyboards. Let alone a keyboard with a foreign alphabet layout. This might keep me from working (yea!) To access my home computers from outside, no passwords would work - I use public key pairs exclusively. But then, I'd still need to type the password to unlock the keyring on my thumbdrive. Hmmm ... maybe I need to go back to the golden standard "password123" (you wouldn't believe how many people I know who actually use that one!)

#241336 - 02/16/12 11:48 PM Re: Carrying passwords... [Re: TeacherRO]
desolation Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Sonoma County, CA
Another vote for KeyPass. One nice thing about it is it avoids keystroke loggers if you or whatever computer you are using is so infected. Copy/paste passwords/usernames with an auto clear of the copy/past memory after a few seconds.

#241338 - 02/17/12 12:30 AM Re: Carrying passwords... [Re: TeacherRO]
RayW Offline
Addict

Loc: Orlando, FL
Plus one more for keepass. It also uses the same database for Windows and android so it is easy to keep your passwords synchronized between your phone and your PC.

#241346 - 02/17/12 01:48 AM Re: Carrying passwords... [Re: haertig]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Given that one that I use a LOT is 10+ random case sensitive alphanumeric digits and any financial passwords are similarly complex, trying to remember them would be pointless. Mobile access is a bonus most of the time. With my PDA and computer access, its possible to access any site that I've set a secure password for. I don't use the PDA for web access due to browser limitations and screen size.

#241351 - 02/17/12 02:12 AM Re: Carrying passwords... [Re: UTAlumnus]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

I checked out that KeePass application for my droid phone and Windows and Linux. It looks pretty nice. Their tutorial video mentions using Dropbox for "cloud" storage of the database file, so it is accessible anywhere. But I don't like the fact that this is stored on some third-party server out there on the internet somewhere. I already have my own "cloud" storage on my local LAN (one of my Linux boxes is my file server). All my home computers can access this, and so can my droid phone when it's connected to my LAN via WiFi (using the excellent "ES File Explorer" droid app). I assume my wife's iPhone has some similar WiFi based LAN access app, but I haven't investigated that yet.

However for remote access (not on the LAN) Dropbox might be good. I wouldn't store any files there that I hadn't encrypted myself, prior to using the encryption built-in to Dropbox. Also, I just don't like the idea of having to install an app on my computers that does automatic remote syncing. That's a big 'ol security hole just waiting to be exploited. So I don't think Dropbox is for me, but it may be good for others.

#241382 - 02/17/12 01:35 PM Re: Carrying passwords... [Re: TeacherRO]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
I try to minimise the number of passwords that I use in order to facilitate remembering them.

Intruder alarm at work required a password that I had to remember and could not alter,but I altered other passwords to match the intruder alarm. I have since changed job, but the password is in regular use for a number of purposes and reliably memorised.
I purchased a number of combination padlocks, set them all to the same number, it is the last four digits of a previous employers phone number.
With a little thought, numbers of passwords can be much reduced.

There is a lot to be said for useing the phone numbers or birthdays of living or deceased relatives as passwords, ones OWN details might be too easily guesed.

Most internet forums require a password, this should not be readily guesed, but I see no harm in use of the same password for multiple forums.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.