Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#239795 - 01/21/12 03:28 AM Your prep goals for the year?
Bingley Offline
Veteran

What do you plan to do to get more prepared this year?

There are many things I'd like to do, but I'm staying realistic. My goals for this year include:

1. Get healthier. 'Nuff said.

2. Update emergency food supplies. My old plan was to rely on a combination of freeze-dry meals and canned, ready-made food. My body can no longer handle much of that, alas. (I cannot tolerate some commonly used ingredients in the food industry like soy-derivatives and high fructose corn syrup.) So I'm looking for recommendations for storable foods with only one ingredient (or at least with very few ingredients). Thus far I've come across only a few possibilities. ShelfReliance.com makes freeze-dried broccoli, chicken, etc. I'm also looking into canned meats (Yoders, Keystone). Any ideas? (Edit: I'd appreciate recommendation for retail sources, brands, & products. Thanks!.)

3. Take a course in first aid. I'm looking into the Red Cross first aid/CPR/AED course (6 hours total), or the 3-credit semester-long course at the local college. I'm also thinking about getting some training for handling gunshot wounds, with the eventual goal of learning to assemble and use a blowout kit.

4. Maybe get a HAM license. I'd like some way of communicating with the outside world when the cell phone towers are down, when the power outage knocks out internet, etc.

What about you?

Edited by Bingley (01/21/12 06:32 AM)

#239798 - 01/21/12 04:42 AM Re: Prep goals for the year [Re: Bingley]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: Bingley
What do you plan to do to get more prepared this year?

2. Update emergency food supplies. My old plan was to rely on a combination of freeze-dry meals and canned, ready-made food. My body can no longer handle much of that, alas. (I cannot tolerate some commonly used ingredients in the food industry like soy-derivatives and high fructose corn syrup.) So I'm looking for recommendations for storable foods with only one ingredient (or at least with very few ingredients). Thus far I've come across only a few possibilities. ShelfReliance.com makes freeze-dried broccoli, chicken, etc. I'm also looking into canned meats (Yoders, Keystone). Any ideas?

We stockpile some of the usual: dry beans and peas, brown rice, whole wheat pasta, flour. Peanut butter, jam, canned meat and salmon, tuna packs etc. We keep a stockpile (and use daily) Wasa crispbread as a substitute for soft bread. All of this gets used regularly and replenished when it goes on sale.

#239801 - 01/21/12 11:52 AM Re: Prep goals for the year [Re: Bingley]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

#239802 - 01/21/12 12:00 PM Re: Prep goals for the year [Re: Bingley]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

I just liked and copied that link

Mine is a loooong list
Losing weight and shaping up for starters

Would love to take a "72 hour test" somewhere with nothing but my 72 hour bag. But that is easier said than done. Family life, family needs. Big Sigh !

#239803 - 01/21/12 12:32 PM Re: Prep goals for the year [Re: Bingley]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
Bingley... got most of my trauma supplies from Chinook Medical...did some gun work for a returning SF Medic and he gave me an SF tourniquet, and a short lesson on the hemostatic gauze and compression bandages...

#239905 - 01/22/12 11:27 PM Re: Your prep goals for the year? [Re: Bingley]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Cool thread... so I gotta respond (in no particular order). This list is quite doable.

1. Buy more gold and silver.
2. Tinker with my alcohol and wood stoves.
3. Buy more canned goods for storage.
4. Take the unrestricted firearms course along with the hunter safety and then the restricted firearms course to finally get my RPAL. (March-April)
5. Buy more gold and silver.
6. Go hiking more this summer.
7. Go fishing more this summer.
8. Tinker with more receipes.
9. Lose 10 lbs.
10. Change my escape ladder to a 3-storey version instead of 2-storey (the shorter one doesn't reach the ground!)
11. Did I say buy more gold and silver?
12. One more vehicle payment next month so after that I plan to pay down the mortgage.
---
13. Play around with a e-tool to make snow shelters, etc.
14. Load up my smart phone with more survival hints and reading.
15. Add to my outdoor clothing collection (actually done since I placed the order last week!)
16. Finally get around to buying that kayak I've always wanted!

Edited by Roarmeister (01/23/12 07:32 PM)
Edit Reason: Added to my list

#239910 - 01/23/12 12:22 AM Re: Your prep goals for the year? [Re: Roarmeister]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Roarmeister
4. Take the unrestricted firearms course along with the hunter safety and then the restricted firearms course to finally get my RPAL. (March-April)

There is a free online hunter's ed course with approval in some states. If you need a certificate, however, you will have to pay $15 or so. If you want the knowledge for knowledge's sake, then you can take the course for free. The course isn't long -- it's like a short book. There are interactive quizzes. You take a multiple choice final exam at the end. I thought the course was OK. It made me realize I just didn't want venison badly enough that I'd go through all that trouble.

There are also in-person courses. If they're anything like the online course, I don't think it would be worth the trouble to go in person.

What's RPAL?

#239911 - 01/23/12 12:35 AM Re: Your prep goals for the year? [Re: GarlyDog]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
This actually belongs in a separate thread but...

Edited by Roarmeister (01/23/12 07:24 PM)
Edit Reason: MOVED BY OWNER to another thread.

#239914 - 01/23/12 01:02 AM Re: Your prep goals for the year? [Re: Roarmeister]
GarlyDog Offline
τΏτ
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
RM. I deleted my post above so we Gold discussion to a separate thread if you are feeling sporting.

#239915 - 01/23/12 01:13 AM Re: Your prep goals for the year? [Re: Bingley]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
I'll be reading Cody Lundin's two books. I may even read Stay Alive! Survival Skills You Need by John D. McCann.

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 474 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.