The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#241163 - 02/15/12 12:21 AM Check your windshield wiper fluid
Meadowlark Offline

Loc: Northern Colorado
Hello all --

Been away for a time, but thought I'd pop in to remind everyone to check your windshield wiper fluid levels. I know, I know -- a fairly obvious thing, but because we've been having so much crummy winter weather lately, I'd somehow used mine up to a dangerously low level without realizing it. And of course, when did it give out completely? When I was on the highway, going 65 mph.

Fortunately, at the exact moment I had ZERO visibility due to filthy brown frozen slush, the truck in front of me signaled right (I could somehow just make out his tail-lights in the murk) and I cautiously followed him up the ramp and into a big box parking lot. I scraped off the windshield the best I could and then drove a block to a gas station to fill up the completely dry fluid reservoir.

A very humbling experience that I hope to never repeat.

Edited by Meadowlark (02/15/12 12:21 AM)
My knapsack on my back

Current kits: http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showgallery&Number=241840

#241165 - 02/15/12 12:28 AM Re: Check your windshield wiper fluid [Re: Meadowlark]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Welcome back, and thanks for the reminder. Like sunglasses in some parts of the world, windshield washer fluid is an essential safety item, even (under the wrong circumstances) in the "off" season.

#241166 - 02/15/12 12:33 AM Re: Check your windshield wiper fluid [Re: chaosmagnet]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL

#241167 - 02/15/12 12:35 AM Re: Check your windshield wiper fluid [Re: Meadowlark]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
I used to change my own wiper fluid regularly for years and years. I forgot one change, and I had the same harrowing situation you found yourself in - driving by instruments, which is a bad way to drive at freeway speeds. When I bought a new car with a lower carriage that's a pain to get under and change oil, I moved to paying the guys in the dealership to do it. (I'm certain this was a design change intended to prop up dealership mechanics everywhere, but given that Toyota hasn't gotten any other money from me except for routine maintenance I'm okay with that). Along with the $29 oil change comes lube and wiper fluid refill, plus a couple fluids I probably am not aware of. $29 provides a lot of peace of mind.

My wife and daughter go the dealership oil change route (and not the Jiffy Lube look alike service, for reasons outside the interests of this thread) for pretty much the same reason - everything gets refilled and checked.

#241216 - 02/15/12 08:36 AM Re: Check your windshield wiper fluid [Re: Russ]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Russ

Rainx does not work against snow, slush, gritt, salt, etc... I don't even think it works well against small droplet and/or slow speeds. Rain and highway speeds ok, but not much else in mine opinion.

I always fill mine wiperfluid, check mine other fluids and check air pressure every month.

#241217 - 02/15/12 09:38 AM Re: Check your windshield wiper fluid [Re: Meadowlark]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
A spare jug in winter could also be very useful.

#241221 - 02/15/12 12:18 PM Re: Check your windshield wiper fluid [Re: Meadowlark]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
I drive from place to place for a living. I buy a half-dozen jugs of blue juice when it goes on sale for a buck, and keep a full one in a box in the trunk. In the metro areas here, they spray a brown soybean compound on the road that turns into a thin white paste on the windshield (and everything else) when it gets airborne. Driving without blue juice on semi-slushy days is nearly impossible.

#241222 - 02/15/12 12:25 PM Re: Check your windshield wiper fluid [Re: Meadowlark]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Great reminder Meadowlark! Thanks! And welcome back!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#241225 - 02/15/12 12:50 PM Re: Check your windshield wiper fluid [Re: Meadowlark]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Checking the fluid at oil changes isn't nearly often enough (and I hope people realize that dealers don't put their expensive mechanics on the oil change duty, they hire the same entry level person the quick change places do). I check all fluids, tire pressure and lights monthly and have some spare of each in the vehicles. kids actually enjoy doing it, they walk around and tell me if all the lights are lit up (I do it in the evenings so I can see the reflection off of them to verify).

#241256 - 02/16/12 01:16 AM Re: Check your windshield wiper fluid [Re: jzmtl]
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
Originally Posted By: jzmtl
A spare jug in winter could also be very useful.

You beat me to it. An absolute necessity for winter driving in Utah with heavily salted roads. Seems like I was always stopping on I-80 to refill the reservoir.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.