Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#241240 - 02/15/12 06:24 PM Re: Friends...I'm new to the survival game. [Re: ruReady]
Tyber Offline
Sheriff
Enthusiast

Loc: ST. Paul MN
RuReady:

Welcome to the forum.

Ask away any questions you have, even if we have discused it and you missed that fact in your searches, people are always helpful in pointing you in the right direction.

#241254 - 02/16/12 01:05 AM Re: Friends...I'm new to the survival game. [Re: ruReady]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Welcome to the Forum!! After you have done a Risk/Threat Assessment, There are checklist that can be found through the SEARCH Function that will further assist you with your preparations.

#241261 - 02/16/12 01:41 AM Re: Friends...I'm new to the survival game. [Re: ruReady]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
ruReady - Welcome to the Forum!! When you are doing your searches and getting the info, feel free to copy and paste the info for your reference. You will notice that you will initially gather tons of info. As you are doing this you will automatically start making categories in your mind. Separate it out into the categories. If you do post anything that you borrowed just give credit the author and the site as a courtesy.

When you run into a snag, let us know. We will probably not mind reviving the topic too much. New info always comes to light.

Again, welcome to the Forum.

#241297 - 02/16/12 06:11 PM Re: Friends...I'm new to the survival game. [Re: Krista]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Originally Posted By: Krista
I'm probably nowhere near as prepared as others here, but something that I've found that helps me is to keep a notebook (or folder on your computer) where I keep track of new things I learn, things I want to learn, advice, etc. When you start reading through all of the helpful websites, it's sometimes easy to find yourself following the links into a huge variety of subjects. So I literally take notes, so I can know what subjects I want/need to revisit. Also, your printer is your friend! When I first started into 'preparedness', the first thing I did was make copies of all my important documents. Then I printed out a bunch of different information about purifying water. I keep everything organized on my computer, but hard copies are important so for that everything is in a 3-ring binder, so that I can add to it as I go.

Also, it's easy to get overwhelmed! So I second Chaosmagnet's advice of deciding what and how long you are preparing for. I think preparing for 3 days worth of power outage is a great start.

Thats a great point. I had a spare Flight Crew Checklist Binder, plastic, very malleable 3 ring binder of clear plastic sheet protectors. When I print something out like homemade washing detergent, triage, knots, maps, etc, I just tuck into the sleeve and go. Easy to update and change up.

#241315 - 02/16/12 09:09 PM Re: Friends...I'm new to the survival game. [Re: comms]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Welcome smile

As for taking notes: I've just started using the online service "evernote" (evernote.com). It's free, it's simple and it works.

Apart from that, I juggle down some things in my paper notebook and other things on my phone (plain old "dumb" phone with a note application - I can display any of those notes on the screen for easy reference if I want to).

What I use depends on the application. For long time reference (information you might need at some distant future), nothing beats an online, searchable service. All memorable survival tips, tricks and hints would go there. For things such as shopping lists or juggling down an adress I use my plain old paper notebook. For things I really should remenber (pick up X at location Y) I use my phone and display that on my screen.

Life became easier when I systematically stopped using my brain as a combined storage facility, calendar and task manager (i use todist.com for that!). My brain works best when I don't add the stress of all those details I really MUST remember. Writing it down (on the web, on my phone or on paper) is a great relief - I can consentrate on productive things instead of going "Oh, I SHOULD have remembered that" or "I MUST NOT forget this" every 10th minutes. It really breaks consentration, workflow and adds stress.

Your brain is for thinking, not a mediocre task manager/file cabinet.

#241359 - 02/17/12 03:48 AM Re: Friends...I'm new to the survival game. [Re: ruReady]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
For reading material, check out Cody Lundin's book 98.6 Degrees. It does a great job of covering thebasics of what you need to survive. I found it a great help when I got started. "When All Hell Breaks Loose" is very good too.

http://www.codylundin.com/degrees.html

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#241418 - 02/17/12 09:13 PM Re: Friends...I'm new to the survival game. [Re: ruReady]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Agreed. 98.6 Degrees is well-written and very helpful. I don't know of a single better book to start learning about prepping and survival.

#241537 - 02/20/12 04:50 PM Re: Friends...I'm new to the survival game. [Re: ruReady]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

#241554 - 02/20/12 11:46 PM Re: Friends...I'm new to the survival game. [Re: bacpacjac]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
For reading material, check out Cody Lundin's book 98.6 Degrees. It does a great job of covering thebasics of what you need to survive. I found it a great help when I got started. "When All Hell Breaks Loose" is very good too.

http://www.codylundin.com/degrees.html

I've probably bought and given away a dozen of 98.6 degrees to friends and family. Easy entry into preparedness and lots of details.

My survival kit is based on his 98.6 design but it also goes into a larger backpack I carry everywhere with me.

#241930 - 02/27/12 02:52 PM Re: Friends...I'm new to the survival game. [Re: ruReady]
ratbert42 Offline

Loc: Florida
My advice for a newcomer: relax a little and don't freak out about every possible threat. Just plan for the realistic possibilities. It's probably not worth blowing the kids' college funds and taking out a second mortgage to build a radiation-hardened bunker.

Also, don't compromise and buy junk gear. If you buy a junk $20 knife, you'll still want that $150 knife and eventually buy it too. Either skip the $20 knife step and go right to the $150 knife or pick the best quality $20 knife and live with it.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 444 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.