Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2412 - 11/02/01 03:07 PM Re: Are we there yet? (Cool Room?)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, I'm just guessing, but having lived in Vermont all my life, I know a little about heating. :)<br><br>Probably a slab foundation that is run out under the driveway, which is paved, and poured deepenough to make a heat well. Lots of southern windows, triple pane, with shades for summer. Dark roof material and paint, maybe. And possibly in-floor heat- rather than heating the ceiling like most duct work, this goes under the floor and keeps your feet warm and the floor warm enough so that it doesn't conduct heat away, proably on a closed loop of water, so you aren't heating cold water. <br><br>And I'd wonder where the 60$ for heating is. In someplace like coastal North Carolina or Kansas, it's one thing. In Vermont, it's another.

#2413 - 11/02/01 04:02 PM Re: Are we there yet? (Cool Room?)
Neanderthal Offline
newbie member

Loc: Pennsylvania
I heat my 1800 sq. ft. bilevel home in SE Pennsylvania for less than $200 per year ( 15,000 BTU propane space heater ). Temperature is a constant 70 degrees. The cost could be further reduced if I was more attentive to the solar situation (But "passive solar requires active people") Key elements : R-40 ceiling, R-30 side walls, square design to minimize the perimeter, and as the builder put it, there is more "mass" in the lower level than there is in the Luray caverns.

PROVERBS 21:19

#2414 - 11/02/01 04:54 PM Re: Are we there yet? (Cool Room?)
Anonymous
Unregistered

The name of the game is the sun. The house had a lot of windows to let sunlight in. He built solar collectors, which were basically tanks of water. As the heat dissipated from the water, it would heat the house. You could let more water out of the collectors if it got too hot (ie: summer).<br><br>He took insulation very seriously, as well as the position of the windows. More windows towards the side of the house that faces the morning/afternoon sun. I believe the whole house was built into the side of a small mountain. I wish I could remember the exact reason for the mountian; I'm sure it had something to do with heat radiating from it.<br><br>The big thing that struck me was the number of windows; lots of skylights.<br>

#2415 - 11/02/01 11:34 PM Re: Are we there yet? (Cool Room?)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Check out this building Claims no heating bill year round in Telluride Co. They certainly get cold weather.<br><br>http://www.formworksbuilding.com/TellurideCO.html

#2416 - 11/06/01 07:09 PM Re: Are we there yet? (Cool Room?)
Anonymous
Unregistered

>>Check out this building Claims no heating bill year round in Telluride Co. They certainly get cold weather<<<br><br>I don't think they are claiming it's comfortable without heating, just that the pipes won't freeze without heating. Looks interesting, but how's the resale value of an underground house with limited natural light?

#2417 - 11/11/01 11:19 PM Re: Are we there yet? (Cool Room?)
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't knw people, but as i moved to sweden for 6 years ago, we bought and renovated a old house on a forest that we renovate. The best insulation we did on the roof, but on the lower level we didn't insulate at all, the only insulation is problably the old walls about 100 years old. The only heating is a so called in sweden, an energy kasset, what is a iron made fire place that warms up cold air threw some airspaces around the fire and releases heated air on the upper side. Very effective. I spend around $300 a year. Before i used to gatter all the wood myself, than it was really cheap! The very positive is that i can survive without electric power for a long time. Last year my family was without power for 8 days, no problems ( except for the kids that thought it was boring without TV) i even kept the old wood stove in case the normal gas stove would stop. It gets pretty cold around here in the winter, i've been recording -20 deggres celsius!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 413 Guests and 59 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.