Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#241114 - 02/14/12 06:11 PM Re: AVIATION SURVIVAL KITS. WHAT'S THE POINT. [Re: ]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
The crashes which have pictures on the news are the ones near the airport. Reason is that the TV news folks don't go very far.

Crashing elsewhere may mean you'll be on your own for awhile.

We get ridgetop crashes here in Colorado that take considerable time and effort to reach which don't get anything but a 'broken airplane' graphic on the news if they get reported at all.

On the other hand, the folks who crash on the ridges generally aren't well trained which implies they aren't prepared which means they probably have little gear to help them.

So if you carry all your survival gear, you probably won't crash. That's my theory anyway.

#241115 - 02/14/12 06:13 PM Re: AVIATION SURVIVAL KITS. WHAT'S THE POINT. [Re: Russ]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

That close they had no need for survival gear. While the chance of a water landing is extremely rare here a PFD would be a good Idea. My survival vest is based on an old ALICE version with gear inside and out. I also made one for short kikes from an old BDU blouse. Not at all. I've seen the crashes and have concluded it would be foolish to put myself in a small aircraft. Just as it would be foolish to walk through a bad nieghborhood at night counting my cash.

#241116 - 02/14/12 06:23 PM Re: AVIATION SURVIVAL KITS. WHAT'S THE POINT. [Re: ]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Another reason for the AR is all the meth labs out here. The people running them are a lot less likely to go after someone with a serious weapon than a guy with a fanny pack. And if they are foolish enough to try I can defend myself. Also if you spot a home out in the desert it's not a real good idea to approach it. You never know what kind of reception you'll receive.

#241117 - 02/14/12 06:26 PM Re: AVIATION SURVIVAL KITS. WHAT'S THE POINT. [Re: ]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Snake_Doctor
While the chance of a water landing is extremely rare here a PFD would be a good Idea.

Just a note.

Your posting location is identified as "Planet Earth."

Water landing, as an average probability across Planet Earth is actually quite high.
(Seeing as how Planet Earth is 3/4 water and all......)

#241118 - 02/14/12 06:30 PM Re: AVIATION SURVIVAL KITS. WHAT'S THE POINT. [Re: unimogbert]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Here we have deserts and mountains. Not a whole lot of water. Summer hikes require carrying a lot of the wet stuff.

#241119 - 02/14/12 06:34 PM Re: AVIATION SURVIVAL KITS. WHAT'S THE POINT. [Re: ]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Following a ditch at sea or an "Emergency off-airport landing" on the dry side of the beach, I'll stay near the plane and activate my PLB. If I'm floating in my vest or raft, I'll turn on my radio to Channel 16 and give a call out while my GPS warms up and gives me a location; if dry I'll just sit near the wreckage. I don't need to go anywhere, they'll come to me.

#241121 - 02/14/12 06:36 PM Re: AVIATION SURVIVAL KITS. WHAT'S THE POINT. [Re: ]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Here we have deserts and mountains. Not a whole lot of water. Summer hikes require carrying a lot of the wet stuff.

Where is "here?"

(Hint- YOUR PROFILE SAYS "PLANET EARTH" which isn't real specific)

#241122 - 02/14/12 06:39 PM Re: AVIATION SURVIVAL KITS. WHAT'S THE POINT. [Re: unimogbert]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

It's not meant to be specific. I live in the Southwest.

#241123 - 02/14/12 06:45 PM Re: AVIATION SURVIVAL KITS. WHAT'S THE POINT. [Re: ]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

It's not meant to be specific. I live in the Southwest.

Southwest Planet Earth?

Southwest Maine?

Dude- you started a rant about survival gear for trips you won't take and refer to places known only to yourself.

I don't think I'll reply to you any more.

#241124 - 02/14/12 06:49 PM Re: AVIATION SURVIVAL KITS. WHAT'S THE POINT. [Re: unimogbert]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Sorry i offended you. Have a good day, sir.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.