Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#241137 - 02/14/12 07:51 PM Re: AVIATION SURVIVAL KITS. WHAT'S THE POINT. [Re: ]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Not to echo unimogbert too loudly, but you keep referring to "here" which is rather meaningless when know one knows where "here" is. Further, you are making a general "no one survives" comment when we know for a fact that people do survive.

#241139 - 02/14/12 08:01 PM Re: AVIATION SURVIVAL KITS. WHAT'S THE POINT. [Re: paramedicpete]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Hi Pete. Thanks for the input. And the AR was purchased for my former line of work, not as a survival tool.

#241141 - 02/14/12 08:06 PM Re: AVIATION SURVIVAL KITS. WHAT'S THE POINT. [Re: Russ]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

I have yet to see one report of a single survivor. And my location is my business alone. I have not asked one single person for thier location. If desert and southwest is not enough for one to have a general idea that's not my problem. I'm not being rude, i'm being security concious. I had a problem with an internet stalker who decided to visit me irl a few years ago. Fortunately I was gone when she arrived but she did a lot of damage. So I am cautious when people push to pin point my location. I'm sorry if that offends some.

#241143 - 02/14/12 08:10 PM Re: AVIATION SURVIVAL KITS. WHAT'S THE POINT. [Re: NightHiker]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

My idea is the big kit on the plane. I always believe in carrying a PSK in any sort of travel. Mr. Ritters PSK is a good start. Thanks for the thoughtful reply.

#241145 - 02/14/12 08:27 PM Re: AVIATION SURVIVAL KITS. WHAT'S THE POINT. [Re: ]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
The tone needs to be improved in this thread.

chaosmagnet

#241147 - 02/14/12 09:04 PM Re: AVIATION SURVIVAL KITS. WHAT'S THE POINT. [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I did a quick check and one source sites a 24% survival rate during the decade just passed for passengers in an aircraft carrying ten or more. While those are not fantastic odds, they aren't hopeless, either. It seems to me you are safer flying (at least commercially) than in an automobile....

Didn't a certain commercial aircraft do an "unanticipated landing" in the Hudson River a while ago with all (138?) aboard surviving?

#241149 - 02/14/12 09:47 PM Re: AVIATION SURVIVAL KITS. WHAT'S THE POINT. [Re: ]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Snake_Doctor
I have yet to see one report of a single survivor.

I personally have survived a crash landing of a small aircraft. It was a Cessna 210 with a STOL kit, full up with six people, them being the pilot, my parents, my siblings and myself. The bird got bent but we all walked away from it. This was almost thirty years ago on a dirt airstrip.

Other than my Leatherman PST (my first multitool and a treasured keepsake now) and a few bottles of water, we were utterly unprepared for being stranded eighty miles from the nearest paved road. Fortunately the purpose of the flight was to visit someone and with his help we were able to get back to where we were staying on the same day.

Statistically, General Aviation is very safe, comparing very favorably with highways, but less safe than scheduled commercial flights. GA seems to be roughly even with train travel from my few minutes of googling.

#241196 - 02/15/12 03:52 AM Re: AVIATION SURVIVAL KITS. WHAT'S THE POINT. [Re: ]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

I agree with carrying PSG. My survival is my responsibility. And a glance at my gear would make one think I'm a pyro. Thanks for the input.

#241197 - 02/15/12 03:57 AM Re: AVIATION SURVIVAL KITS. WHAT'S THE POINT. [Re: chaosmagnet]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

I spoke with some of our local pilots this afternoon, just to be fair, and they all agreed they had not seen a news report with survivors. One even called two others with the same results. Now they are wondering about this themselves. Thier best guesses were inadequate maintence, pilot error and fatigue. I don't know, but I do know that it's ground transportation for me from now on. Thanks for taking the time to look it up and get stats.

#241200 - 02/15/12 04:08 AM Re: AVIATION SURVIVAL KITS. WHAT'S THE POINT. [Re: ]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Location specifics:Desert Southwest w/myriad of tweekers,ok,It's not gonna' be 29 Palms(The Stumps)that's reason enough for those who know,It's not gonna' be W.Mojave ie. China Lake/Ft.Irwin,for the same as above,so I'll have to say you'd be flying in/out of the Palmdale/Landscatter area.Personally,I'd be more wary of driving to the airport/airstrip in that AO!Flying is Fun,just squeeze yer'cheeks together& plant both feet directly beneath you,do that everytime the plane dips,& You'll be just fine!Carry a Doug Ritter psk in your front pocket,you could while away the time by taking it apart/assembling it with your eyes closed,then All of a sudden... you realize you've reached your designation,"Wow! that wasn't so bad! grin

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 426 Guests and 33 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.