Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#241099 - 02/14/12 04:11 PM AVIATION SURVIVAL KITS. WHAT'S THE POINT.
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

I should have known this was too controversial of a subject. My Bad. It was not my intent to upset anyone. It was a legitimate question. My most humble apologies. As for my location, I prefer to keep that private.

Edited by Snake_Doctor (02/14/12 07:04 PM)

#241101 - 02/14/12 04:23 PM Re: AVIATION SURVIVAL KITS. WHAT'S THE POINT. [Re: ]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Emergency off-airport landings are different and often more survivable than crashes. That would be my primary situation to prepare against.

#241102 - 02/14/12 04:32 PM Re: AVIATION SURVIVAL KITS. WHAT'S THE POINT. [Re: ]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
Snake,

LEARN TO FLY!!!

Yes, most crashes are deadly, but they don't need to be. In over 20 years of SAR with Civil Air Patrol in the Rockies, many survived the crash, and many more could have if they had known how to deal with a glider (with a very poor glide ratio). My father started flying when they were "unexpected landings", not crashes. Lost 2 B-17's and several other aircraft during WWII. Put them all down and never lost a crewmember. His contention was that you could land an airplane anywhere and walk away from it. I think he was pretty close to right. It is true that most crashes are not survived, but most survival kits are owned by pilots who will probably not have a crash - because they are planning ahead and avoid the problem. So, in a way the survival kit helps to prevent the accident ;-). It is certainly a sign. Just like being on this forum.

The biggest mistake is not flying the aircraft to the ground. Stall/Spin is not the way to walk away from it. The second is trying to save the airplane.

Respectfully,

Jerry

#241103 - 02/14/12 04:47 PM Re: AVIATION SURVIVAL KITS. WHAT'S THE POINT. [Re: JerryFountain]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Why spend hundreds of dollars? One answer would be, "because you are worth it"... But preparedness doesn't always have to be expensive. Thoughtful preparations and organization can be accomplished for very little money.

I don't own a plane, so when I fly non-commercial, I am only concerned with personal survival preparations. Most of it is really simple. Don't wear synthetics. Keep PSK items on your person, with nothing bulging. Learn exit procedures. Be aware...

#241107 - 02/14/12 05:29 PM Re: AVIATION SURVIVAL KITS. WHAT'S THE POINT. [Re: JerryFountain]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Hey Jerry,
IF I ever get back in one of those flying death traps known as small aircraft it will be with a parachute, survival vest and an AR-15. There are simply safer ways to travel. You have valid points and I thank you for them and your kind response. Your father sounds like a great guy with some great adventures. Thanks again.

Edited by Snake_Doctor (02/14/12 05:30 PM)

#241108 - 02/14/12 05:35 PM Re: AVIATION SURVIVAL KITS. WHAT'S THE POINT. [Re: ]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
Snake,

I don't know where you live, but in this hemisphere the light aircraft is one of the safest ways to travel. Particularly when compared to a car.

Respectfully,

Jerry

P.S. Why would you want to carry an AR? Not a very ideal survival tool, particularly in the woods.

#241109 - 02/14/12 05:37 PM Re: AVIATION SURVIVAL KITS. WHAT'S THE POINT. [Re: hikermor]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Hey Hiker,
I do all that. Commercial crashes are even worse. The only one I've heard of having survivors was the soccer team in the Andes. And we ALL know how that one turned out.

#241111 - 02/14/12 05:53 PM Re: AVIATION SURVIVAL KITS. WHAT'S THE POINT. [Re: JerryFountain]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

I live in the southwest. The AR would serve as hunting and defense. I'm comfortable with it.

#241112 - 02/14/12 06:01 PM Re: AVIATION SURVIVAL KITS. WHAT'S THE POINT. [Re: JerryFountain]
PSM Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Cochise Co., AZ
Originally Posted By: JerryFountain
The biggest mistake is not flying the aircraft to the ground

"Fly it until the last piece stops moving." wink

#241113 - 02/14/12 06:04 PM Re: AVIATION SURVIVAL KITS. WHAT'S THE POINT. [Re: ]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
There was a Korean airline crash which impacted a hillside short of the runway on Guam that had survivors too. According to Korean Air Flight 801 on Wiki and the Korean Air Flight 801 Official Crash site there were 26 survivors. Not a simple off-airport landing, but people did survive.

The point is to take whatever cards you're dealt following a crash and continue playing the game. Your question indicates you are looking at the odds and throwing in the towel before the game starts.

The event my aviation survival kit is designed for is a water ditching. It's based on a Switlik survival vest and has more signalling ability than the vest I wore while on active duty. Following a ditching at sea or jumping out of a plane before a crash, I'll take a PLB, GPS, radio and signal mirror long before I'd even think about an AR. I hope to be found and rescued long before I need to start hunting sustenance.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 437 Guests and 34 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.