Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#241071 - 02/14/12 08:45 AM Re: Cub Scout's Survival Kit [Re: bacpacjac]
Frisket Offline
Addict

This is Pretty darn close to my EDC bag. You should really look into getting him a Nice Heavy duty flashlight. Good options i would suggest is the Streamlight stylus pro. Its not Big but its bright enough to get around in the dark. I was also looking at a Rayovac light at home depot for 15$ that runs on 2 AA's. Looked decent enough for the price and is still pretty lightweight.

http://www.rayovac.com/Products/Lights/Work/Virtually-Indestructible-LED-2AA-Flashlight.aspx

Edited by Frisket (02/14/12 08:48 AM)

#241097 - 02/14/12 04:02 PM Re: Cub Scout's Survival Kit [Re: ]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99

The upside is many therapeutic regimens for kids, especially boys with ADD/ADHD is getting outdoors often. ...And if he does get lost? He'll probably have all of that stuff with him and use it and be fine. He'll probably think of it as the adventure of a lifetime. God knows I've been in situations like that before and I was scared as Hell...but never more alive and clear of mind.

Right on all counts, Izzy! The outdoors is like a magical elixor. One part fresh air + one part nature + one part independance + one part accomplishment accomplishment + a little excitement = a happy kiddo and happy parents.

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99

The idea is to channel that energy into something with equal accomplishment on par with a scholastic accomplishment. Case and point is merit badges. Which from what I can see you're doing 110%.

Absolutely right! At least in our case. One of the many things I love about Scouts is the sense of accomplishment it gives him. He's earned 6 merit badges in 6 months, and learned valuable skills along the way, which is encouraging more and independance and responsibility in him. He stands a lot taller since he joined!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#241098 - 02/14/12 04:07 PM Re: Cub Scout's Survival Kit [Re: Frisket]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Frisket
This is Pretty darn close to my EDC bag. You should really look into getting him a Nice Heavy duty flashlight. Good options i would suggest is the Streamlight stylus pro. Its not Big but its bright enough to get around in the dark. I was also looking at a Rayovac light at home depot for 15$ that runs on 2 AA's. Looked decent enough for the price and is still pretty lightweight.

http://www.rayovac.com/Products/Lights/Work/Virtually-Indestructible-LED-2AA-Flashlight.aspx

I agree Frisket. He's got a few lights but prefers headlamps - handsfree and all that. The LED glowstick is new but he likes it because he can use it like a flashlight and chem light AND - his favourite reason - because he can use it as a lightsabre! He is still 8 afterall. wink

I'm walking the line between teaching him what components he needs in his kit and telling him what exactly to put in it. My philosophy is give him lots of options to cover all his bases, teach him how to use them, give him ample practice time, and then let him pick his own.

#241234 - 02/15/12 03:20 PM Re: Cub Scout's Survival Kit [Re: bacpacjac]
Meadowlark Offline

Loc: Northern Colorado
Nice setup for the cubbies! smile

Just thought I'd pipe in and say that chemical light sticks and their ilk can possibly have a longish shelf life. Last year I came across an unopened pack of round sticker-backed chem lights that I'd forgotten in a decade old box of Peace Corps stuff and tried a couple out on a whim. And they worked, despite being stored in a dry but not too air-conditioned room.

Granted, I've since bought new sticks for my kits, but it's kind of nice to know that some don't die at the stated three year mark.

Edited by Meadowlark (02/15/12 03:21 PM)
My knapsack on my back

Current kits: http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showgallery&Number=241840

#241274 - 02/16/12 03:47 AM Re: Cub Scout's Survival Kit [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

OK, so it wasn't an emergency but... as 8 year olds will do when surrounded by mud on an innocent hike, DS got covered head to toe in it on a hike tonight. He would have been just fine in our nice warm truck, but that change of clothes saved me having to clean the truck too!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 379 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.