You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#240853 - 02/10/12 12:47 AM Re: Starting FIRST fire? [Re: ILBob]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: ILBob

Never had to actually use it for emergencies though. I am kind of amazed that anyone would have had 10 emergency situations where they needed a fire in their life.

You definitely won't,as long as you don't make a career in the National park Service or volunteer for SAR. Don't climb any mountains either.

Just a bit about matches. The normal garden variety matches available in the 60's and 70s were much better than what is available now. Today a mini-Bic is my normal igniter, with REI Stormproofs, or equivalent, as a backup. I solved the problem of keeping the fire going in pouring rain and other epic storms by simply carrying a gasoline stove, which was the first item I bought when I signed up at REI. Now I carry a canister stove fairly often. We have eaten warm meals in 80 mph winds on Denali, using a well sheltered stove (yes, we cooked in the vestibule).

You can keep a fire going in adverse conditions by building it big, much bigger than it needs to be, shielding the flames with big logs and bark, etc. and working very hard. A very handy implement is a short length of 1/4" rubber tubing. You can fan coals and incipient flames wonderfully and speed the blaze along extraordinarily well with this gadget. A stove, any stove, is soooooo much better than an open fire in any but ideal conditions. Pay attention to Hiking Jim - he speaks with straight tongue.

Frisket mentioned potassium permanganate and glycerine. The combination works very well, but I wonder what happens if the two substances get together accidentally. I just don't want to find out how well my pack burns....

Another great technology for fire starting is a carbide lamp, but those are just about extinct these days. Too bad - both heat and light, and fairly lightweight.

#240857 - 02/10/12 01:55 AM Re: Starting FIRST fire? [Re: bigreddog]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...

#240861 - 02/10/12 03:24 AM Re: Starting FIRST fire? [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Haven't seen this series before. Looks like there are 12 episodes. Nice. Thanks, Byrd!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#240864 - 02/10/12 05:20 AM Re: Starting FIRST fire? [Re: hikermor]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: hikermor

Frisket mentioned potassium permanganate and glycerine. The combination works very well, but I wonder what happens if the two substances get together accidentally. I just don't want to find out how well my pack burns....

The PP doesn't know if it's an accident or not! grin When the two meet, there's gonna be some fire. GoingGear.com sells some capsules of PP, they really appear to be just plain old gelatine capsules! I wouldn't use them for any reason! eek I keep the PP in one BSB (baby soda bottle) and the glycerine in another one, and I keep them isolated with some stuff in between them. Probably the BSBs seal plenty tight enough that it's not an issue, just playing it safe.

One other method I'm contemplating is the PP in one sealed aluminum fob and the glycerine in another with both stacked into one tube. Just have to make certain there's no leakage, but realistically both would have to leak to cause issues.

I'm purchasing a large commercial style chamber vacuum sealer within the next week or so (a Vacmaster VP-215C). This will seal retort pouches. I expect it will give me a few more options for packing PP & glycerine.

#240871 - 02/10/12 09:14 AM Re: Starting FIRST fire? [Re: bigreddog]
bigreddog Offline
Enthusiast

Canoedogs - that is exactly the sort of thing I had in mind - very nice. When the SHTF, I need a quick fire and the ability to dry out whatever fuel may be within easy reach - I don't want to have to go foraging for dry wood as hypothermia sets in.

#240872 - 02/10/12 12:53 PM Re: Starting FIRST fire? [Re: bigreddog]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
I've started keeping a pack of hand-held boating flares in my snowmobiles. They work well both for signaling and for fire-starting.

I know from experience they're much easier to use than matches or a lighter when you've lost a lot of fine motor control from hypothermia. (As a related experience, I also learned that it's entirely possible for it to rain when the outside temperature is well below freezing) blush .

#240873 - 02/10/12 02:04 PM Re: Starting FIRST fire? [Re: bigreddog]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Thinking about the OP's well taken point, I have been thinking about trying Coghlins Fire Paste.

Seems to me it could be useful in drying out wet kindling, emergency torch, maybe some thawing tasks, or priming stoves.

Have any of you tried this stuff? Does it take a spark?

Attachments
fire.jpg

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.