Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#240821 - 02/09/12 04:30 PM Re: Starting FIRST fire? [Re: bigreddog]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
ILBob,

Don't be amazed, it just means that Hikermor has spent a lot of time in the woods.

I a completely with Hikermor, the many (I haven't counted) times I have NEEDED a fire (for myself or others) a kitchen match was sufficient. For tinder I have used (and still carry) a 3" square of old t-shirt cotton soaked in wax. It has worked many times (summer and winter) in the Rockies as well as a few times in Coastal and interior Alaska. In western Canada I lit one at 35 below that way (a dog sled driver with hypothermia). Glock-A-Roo is right though, keeping it going is the tough part. It takes practice, but it does work. A saw and axe (or just the axe and more work) are often needed to make burnable wood in those conditions, but it is usually available, even in the worst of conditions (except of course on the tundra and the other treeless regions of the world.

Like Hikermor I have upgraded my carry gear, but I still rely on matches as the start of it all.

Respectfully,

Jerry

#240822 - 02/09/12 04:53 PM Re: Starting FIRST fire? [Re: JerryFountain]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
I agree on the keeping fire going part. I like cotton/vaseline
plus some large chunks of pine pitch to give me more time for
the kindling to catch.

The kitchen matches I have purchased recently, are nearly strike
no-where. Its seems like they have changed the formulation
and even sandpaper or the perfect rock won't work. Do I have
just bad batches?

#240824 - 02/09/12 05:30 PM Re: Starting FIRST fire? [Re: bigreddog]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
These are good points. Fire STARTING is one thing but fire KEEPING is quite another. Most of us carry probably more than one fire starter, but I'd guess fewer of us routinely carry very much in the way of tinder, and especially not kindling or anything to reliably feed and keep a fire going. I don't.

I also like cotton balls in petroleum jelly for compact and lightweight carry. I've used corrugated cardboard strips rolled up inside a small empty cat food or tuna can and soaked in paraffin for campfires, and I have found a road flare to certainly be a reliable source of fire in wet and windy conditions. However, flares are a bit much for routine carry afield. Hmmm, I wonder what could be made of a cut-up road flare's constituent parts for a lighter weight, more compact tinder source?

Supposedly, the heat from a small candle will help dry out tinder before lighting it, but I've never actually tried it in field conditions of cold, wind and wet myself. Generally, I've found a splash or two of Boy Scout Holy Water from my stove (Coleman fuel/white gas) sufficient to get things going well enough and long enough so that any damp fuel stacked next to the fire had time to dry out enough to light and burn.

#240827 - 02/09/12 06:09 PM Re: Starting FIRST fire? [Re: bigreddog]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California

#240835 - 02/09/12 08:56 PM Re: Starting FIRST fire? [Re: bigreddog]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Hi,
Although I have haunted these pages for some time this is my first post. Please bear with me if I do it wrong. I carry a disposable lighter, a magnesium fire starter and matches in my pocket when in the outdoors. I also carry some tinder cubes of my own design which burn extremely hot and high for several minutes. A trick I use is to dis-assemble a chap stick tube, discard the cup and snip off the stem just above the retention knob. This can easily be waterproofed, but use waterproofed large kitchen matches. It holds several matches around the perimeter with the heads alternated up and down. A trick or regular birthday candle in the center, and in some cases a compressed cotton ball under the lid. I hope this helps.

#240839 - 02/09/12 09:14 PM Re: Starting FIRST fire? [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
buckeye Offline
life is about the journey

Loc: Ohio
That is one of my favorite stories.

I have no interest in or affiliation to any of the products or services I may mention. Should I ever, I will clearly state so.

#240840 - 02/09/12 09:18 PM Re: Starting FIRST fire? [Re: ]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: Snake_Doctor
Hi,
Although I have haunted these pages for some time this is my first post. Please bear with me if I do it wrong. I carry a disposable lighter, a magnesium fire starter and matches in my pocket when in the outdoors. I also carry some tinder cubes of my own design which burn extremely hot and high for several minutes. A trick I use is to dis-assemble a chap stick tube, discard the cup and snip off the stem just above the retention knob. This can easily be waterproofed, but use waterproofed large kitchen matches. It holds several matches around the perimeter with the heads alternated up and down. A trick or regular birthday candle in the center, and in some cases a compressed cotton ball under the lid. I hope this helps.

Nice!

But I thought you were going to say you use the chapstick wax as fuel. Burt's Beeswax makes fantastic fuel inside a cotton ball. In fact, it's probably better than petroleum jelly because Burt's Beeswax doesn't run as easily. However, it is more money per volume and is not as versatile as PJ.

#240842 - 02/09/12 09:23 PM Re: Starting FIRST fire? [Re: ireckon]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

thanks for the compliment. smile

#240843 - 02/09/12 09:34 PM Re: Starting FIRST fire? [Re: bigreddog]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
i keep this in the pocket of my PFD.if i go over board from my canoe and have to swim for shore without the canoe and packs i would use this canned heat and a Bic to start a fire.

the cord is attached to the back with a bit of JB Weld and would be used to pull open the can if i had cold hands.the cord on the pull ring is attached with Super Glue so it won't move when i yank the cord to pull the lid off

once lit it's just a matter of putting whatever is around that will burn over the flaming can.

#240849 - 02/10/12 12:22 AM Re: Starting FIRST fire? [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Glock-A-Roo
With what is currently available either on the market or in the kitchen, I don't think LIGHTING a fire is the hard part. The hard part is keeping a fire GOING when it is pouring rain and 35 degF. Everything in the forest is soaked. There are no convenient conifers offering sheltered twigs and pitchwood. How do you do crack that nut?

Excellent reminder Glock. Fuel for the fire can be a big challenge and one you'd best be proactive about.

My preference is to use dry wood but I keep a tea light candle in most of my kits and esbit tabs in my GHB and BOBs, and am just starting to experiment with sterno.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 295 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.