The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#240765 - 02/09/12 01:01 AM Bulk food storage question
ScouterMan Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
One of my New Year's resolutions is to improve my emergency food supply. As part of that, I am regularly visiting the local warehouse store to buy more items in bulk and increase my stores of water, canned foods (people and pet) and bulk staples.

I recently bought a 4.4 pound container of Carnation dry milk powder. It is in a bag. Should I empty this bag into a large, Tupperware-like container? Should I just place the bag of powder into a secondary container? How do ETS members handle this?

I am looking at bags of beans, rice, etc. and they present the same situation.

Thanks in advance for your help.

#240775 - 02/09/12 01:53 AM Re: Bulk food storage question [Re: ScouterMan]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: ScouterMan
One of my New Year's resolutions is to improve my emergency food supply. As part of that, I am regularly visiting the local warehouse store to buy more items in bulk and increase my stores of water, canned foods (people and pet) and bulk staples.

I recently bought a 4.4 pound container of Carnation dry milk powder. It is in a bag. Should I empty this bag into a large, Tupperware-like container? Should I just place the bag of powder into a secondary container? How do ETS members handle this?

A lot depends on the quantites you will accumulate, your plan for rotation, the space available for storage, and the temperature and humidity of that space.

For example, dry non-fat milk will keep for a year at 70 degrees F, but only three months at 90 degrees F. This assumes that no atmospheric moisture or other contaminants get into the container. Every time you open any container, you run the risk of contamination. For this reason, we only stockpile foods we actually use regularly, and then only in family-size packages (not the huge survival store bulk packs).

We don't have a small fortune to spend on food stockpiles, but we are fortunate enough to have a dry cool room in the basement to use for storage. In our cache, everything is kept in its original dated container, and positioned grocery store style on wire racks. Cans, bottles, and bags are lined up so that the oldest of each item is pulled to the front of the shelf and used first. Don't forget to load up (sorry) on toilet paper. You will also have to have a plan to check for and control stored-product pests: mice, mealmoths, grain beetles, even the family dog...

#240776 - 02/09/12 01:59 AM Re: Bulk food storage question [Re: ScouterMan]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I am not certain, but I think it would keep better if it were stored unopened in the original container. I had a similar box a few years ago which I kept long past its "best by" date. I eventually used it all up with no ill effects. It tasted kid of funny, but it worked just fine when used in recipes.

The next boxes I bought were smaller.

#240778 - 02/09/12 02:20 AM Re: Bulk food storage question [Re: ScouterMan]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I'm still learning but I keep my dry goods in their original packaging, and put that in airtight containers in the pantry in the basement until we're ready to use it. Once open, I keep rice, beans, oats, milk, etc in airtight containers in the kitchen.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#240780 - 02/09/12 02:28 AM Re: Bulk food storage question [Re: ScouterMan]
LED Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: ScouterMan

I keep beans, rice, and flour in Rubbermaid screw top jars to keep the bugs out.

If you're looking for something you can store, Backpackers Pantry makes great powdered whole milk. It comes in small packages and lasts a few years. Or, you could buy powdered whole goats milk in cans. Meyenberg brand I believe. Last about 5 years and tastes even than cows milk IMO.

#240788 - 02/09/12 04:22 AM Re: Bulk food storage question [Re: ScouterMan]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
I'm not as advanced nor knowledgeable as some members here in terms of long food stroage, but because of the high humidity here in Florida, vacuum seal my dry stores...I double seal the seams, and then place the package in a fairly opaque 5gal bucket...it does waste a lot of space conpared with using a mylar bag and oxygen absorbers for an entire bucket of one item...

the dried milk I've stored is not a regular use item rotated like some other supplies, so decided to repackage it from its original waxed paper box container....

if the stores are not needed in 3 years, then they have given me peace of mind, and were worth the cost

I do rotate regular used stores, especially mindful during hurricane season

Edited by LesSnyder (02/09/12 04:49 PM)

#240795 - 02/09/12 07:46 AM Re: Bulk food storage question [Re: ScouterMan]
Frisket Offline
Addict

I personally have a one weeks worth supply of food for a single person in a 5 gallon bucket with a few extra items such as soap mouthwash toothpaste and comfort items like cigars. Ive actually attempted to last a week on minimal supplies doing no high calorie work and it was fairly easy. My supplies can easily be cut in half to last two weeks with no high calorie work and while not comfortable Its better then nothing.

Any longer then 1-2 weeks and I think A food supply is gonna be the least of the worries. Moving on and locating more food would be a best option by then in my opinion. This theory of mine is mainly based on current income and size constraints as well. If I could afford more money aside and more space for another 2 buckets I would prolly do so.

#240796 - 02/09/12 08:00 AM Re: Bulk food storage question [Re: ScouterMan]
Frisket Offline
Addict

While it looks small Its all in the portions. And yes those are Chocolate santas =D

#240800 - 02/09/12 11:15 AM Re: Bulk food storage question [Re: Frisket]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: Frisket
I personally have a one weeks worth supply of food for a single person in a 5 gallon bucket with a few extra items such as soap mouthwash toothpaste and comfort items like cigars. Ive actually attempted to last a week on minimal supplies doing no high calorie work and it was fairly easy. My supplies can easily be cut in half to last two weeks with no high calorie work and while not comfortable Its better then nothing.

Any longer then 1-2 weeks and I think A food supply is gonna be the least of the worries. Moving on and locating more food would be a best option by then in my opinion. This theory of mine is mainly based on current income and size constraints as well. If I could afford more money aside and more space for another 2 buckets I would prolly do so.

Not a bad start...Throw a whole carton of ramen noodles ($2) five lbs whole wheat pasta ($4) and several more bags of dry rice and beans ($4) in there and for $10 you could go two to three weeks in subsistance mode.

#240808 - 02/09/12 01:59 PM Re: Bulk food storage question [Re: Frisket]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Blackjack gum, a definite essential, but you need more than 6 packs to survive wink.

Pete

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 443 Guests and 65 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.