Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2402 - 10/31/01 07:46 PM Are we there yet?
peanut Offline
Journeyman

Questions for all. <br><br>Do we ever reach a point where we say "That's it, all the emergency gear I'll ever need, I'm done". Or are y'all like me, continually looking for better smaller, more efficient, etc.? Have you ever fallen victim to Newer Shinier Cooler disease, only to find it's been an expensive mistake?<br><br>Do your friends giggle about the wierd things and/or the amount of stuff you carry, only to ask you first for assistance when something goes wrong or they're underequipped? Has your spouse ever just smiled that silly grin at you while knowingly shaking their head in disbelief as you're teating a new piece of kit? Thave they ever been forced to say something silly like "Honey, PLEASE come in out of the rain"?<br><br>Are we all a bit sick?<br><br>Let's have some fun with this<br><br><br><br>

#2403 - 10/31/01 08:11 PM Re: Are we there yet?
tfisher Offline

Loc: Illinois, USA
You have hit the nail right on the head for my situation, I get teased quite a bit about some of the items I carry, and you are right they are the same ones that ask for it when it comes time for its use.<br><br>Thanks<br>Ted Fisher<br>Vermilion County Search and Rescue

#2404 - 10/31/01 09:13 PM Re: Are we there yet?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't advertise to my friends what I hunt or gather. I do try to convince them to get prepared as to their means and living style. My wife did question me once, until we lost power for three days and I provided her with hot water, hot food, iced tea, and a cool room to sleep in. Need I say more? There was an old man living in my home town that made hand made cast nets. After I purchased my third one, he asked why I purchased so many. Because, I like them I replied. With that reply, I saw exuberance come to his eyes. That is why I make them he replied.

#2405 - 10/31/01 11:06 PM Re: Are we there yet?
Anonymous
Unregistered

i understand what u mean, i live in sweden, so many of my friends think i'm nuts about all my equippement and way of thinking. My wife use too make fun of it until the day came that we needed it, now she is really happy that i have this thing about being prepared for the worst!<br>

#2406 - 11/01/01 02:26 AM Re: Are we there yet?
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The Walter Mitty in me finally realised "If it ain't broke don't fix it." Some of my gear is obsolescent, or outclassed by newer, superior products ( my 1st generation Shrade multitool, swedish surplus rucksack,small Finnish puukko knife.) But they get the job done and I have grown accustomed to their quirks. Almost every item in my kit is vastly superior to what my grandfather carried. The only item slated for improvement is-ME. I am on a feeding frenzy for additional training and relevent references. I still salivate like Pavlov's dog at every new knife. I just whisper the serenity prayer.

#2407 - 11/01/01 06:50 AM Re: Are we there yet? (Cool Room?)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi,<br><br>If the power went out, how were you able to get cool drinks and cool a room? Was this in the summer or in hot weather?<br>Just wondering.<br>

#2408 - 11/01/01 06:49 PM Re: Are we there yet?
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
I stumbled on this site less than a year ago. After a few weeks of puchasing and assembling items for my PSK, my wife just figured it was more camping gear. But when I started to gather items for the house she asked me "Are you planning on going somewhere?" She was serious. <br><br>But then came 9/11 and she doesn't question my motives anymore.

#2409 - 11/01/01 09:05 PM Re: Are we there yet? (Cool Room?)
Anonymous
Unregistered

GENERATOR

#2410 - 11/02/01 06:31 AM Re: Are we there yet? (Cool Room?)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ah! I thought it might have been something more eclectic, like the design of the house. I had a physics teacher who's total heating bill for the entire winter was well under $60. He designed the house himself and gave me some pointers on energy conservation. It was quite interesting; very little reliance on heat and light.

#2411 - 11/02/01 12:39 PM Re: Are we there yet? (Cool Room?)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Maybe you would like to share some of those tips. I'm always listening to new ideas.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.