Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#240718 - 02/08/12 08:27 AM Re: Advice on securing cargo in an SUV [Re: bigmbogo]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Any chance you could contact the manufacturer for technical data on these anchors?

#240719 - 02/08/12 08:27 AM Re: Advice on securing cargo in an SUV [Re: bigmbogo]
LED Offline
Veteran

A steel barrier may work for front end collisions, but what if you land in a lake or roll over and need to exit through the rear windows?

#240734 - 02/08/12 05:51 PM Re: Advice on securing cargo in an SUV [Re: bigmbogo]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
If you use a cage, I think the loose items should be immobilized somehow, maybe with strong rope or mover straps would be even better. If you keep heavy items loose, Netownian physics may come into play during a collision and destroy the cage. Of course, the stronger the cage, the chance of such destruction goes down.

#240777 - 02/09/12 02:12 AM Re: Advice on securing cargo in an SUV [Re: bigmbogo]
Aussie Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Australia
In Australia Cargo Barriers are common place in 4x4s. I have one myself.

Here, these are all safety rated and designed to stop things from the back ending up in the front. There are a standard dealer option for just about every 4x4 on the market, so there are no issues with warranties, insurance or lease payments.

They can be removed and added, normally be removing a series of bolts, but I've never bothered to do that, the barrier lives in the back full time.

Another popular option are draw and shelving systems like Black Widow http://www.bwidow.com.au/ units. (No Affiliation). These meet local collision standards and work really well. They cost, but the quality is very good.

I have a crago barrier, and a I then added a steel shelf horizontally, which is anchored to the chassis. I have a couple of boxes which "lock" under the shelf to prevent them moving, then I put lighter items (clothes, bedding etc) on top.

#240784 - 02/09/12 03:39 AM Re: Advice on securing cargo in an SUV [Re: bigmbogo]
bigmbogo Offline
Journeyman

Something like this is what I'm leaning toward. But this particular one is really expensive:

http://www.us-rope-cable.com/HTML/cargoWEB.html

Still need to figure out the anchors.

David

#240786 - 02/09/12 04:11 AM Re: Advice on securing cargo in an SUV [Re: bigmbogo]
Aussie Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Australia
For real security I think that a solid barrier is best.
I attach sleeping mats and jackets to the passenger side of the barrier with elastic shock cord.

Because it is bolted in, you don't need to worry about anchor points.

Some models have a small "trap door" in them, so you can access things through the barrier

(No affiliations)

#241545 - 02/20/12 06:35 PM Re: Advice on securing cargo in an SUV [Re: bigmbogo]
bigmbogo Offline
Journeyman

Sometimes the most obvious and simple things are the best option.

Poking around in the far back of the truck, where the optional 3rd row seat folds down, I discovered I already had a heavy-duty securing system with anchors into the frame, and web straps designed to secure hundreds of pounds of delicate, odd-shaped cargo: the seat belts!

I moved my big Stanley plastic job box back there pulled the seat belts across it, and secured them to each other with a heavy carabiner. Don't see how I can improve on that much.

Dave

#241556 - 02/21/12 12:05 AM Re: Advice on securing cargo in an SUV [Re: bigmbogo]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: bigmbogo
Thanks for the ideas.

I doubt I will be installing any permanent cargo boxes. This is still my daily driver. Even if I did, I'd still need to figure out what to anchor it to.

I like the wire mesh cage idea, like in a cop car. But it would need to be removable so I could still bet to the third row seat, or put a piece of lumber in lengthwise, etc.

I think the main challenge will be to install anchors, and after that, the actual cage/net can be added. I am going to poke around to see what sort of anchor points there may be under the floor. I figure a seatbelt is anchored with a simple big bolt, so there is a way to do it.

I do have six small anchors on the floor back there, but I can't tell how solidly they are attached. I'm guessing not very. I'll try to get a look at how they are mounted. Maybe I'll be surprised.

Keep any additional ideas coming! Thanks!

David

Decent anchors can be had cheap - using Grade 8 nuts and bolts, and using some steel plate on the underside to help distribute the load. I'd recommend eyelets or D-loops.

I'm pretty sure that most of the "floor" of cars is some sort of polymer-plastic-non metal material. So even if you have a phenomenally strong anchor point, the actual floor might fail first.

Getting some decent rachet-straps to hold cargo would be good too. As an example:
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-...p;storeId=10051

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 415 Guests and 92 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.