Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#240419 - 02/02/12 06:32 AM Re: Interesting Reuters article, but ... [Re: Russ]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
The article as presented seemed like a disjointed, poorly considered hodgepodge. But I strongly suspect it started as a longer and hopefully more coherent article, which was then brutally dismembered by an editorial death squad. The writer often doesn't have control of the final piece, and so may deserve a little slack. YMMV.

As a lightning rod, though, it sparked a lot of thoughtful and interesting comments.

#240421 - 02/02/12 07:26 AM Re: Interesting Reuters article, but ... [Re: ireckon]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: ireckon
By the way, I'm definitely one of "them". I am worried about terrorism. For example, I do worry about a terrorist attack when I'm in a tall office building. I also have a fear of imminent societal collapse. For example, I think the masses are blissfully unprepared for a larger Katrina situation. That makes me wonder if we are one large-scale disaster away from societal collapse. After all, we didn't handle Katrina well at all. I don't let these worries consume me, but these issues are constantly in the back of my mind.

I respect your mindset. Maybe we're a little different. For me preparation is like gambling; it's a game of probabilities. You only have so much budget and so much time, so you take care of the most likely emergencies. For me these are the annual tornadoes and floods that pass through my area, in addition to blackouts (sometimes extended), car breakdowns, robberies, etc. (I *almost* got robbed last year, but I did experience the other stuff.) Do I think a societal collapse is absolutely impossible? No. But my budget doesn't stretch that far.

It doesn't seem important to me whether I am "one of them." Some people seem to feel that the doomsday preppers are the butt of a joke, and so perhaps if I identify with them I'd see what the problem is. I've appeared in news stories before, and I've learned that the picture always gets distorted in the process, sometimes by a lot. Given that, I'd say the article's treatment of preppers ain't half bad. If the objection is that the article does not start out assuming catastrophic preparation is worthwhile, well, then that's a problem of changing public opinion, isn't it?

#240613 - 02/06/12 03:11 PM Re: Interesting Reuters article, but ... [Re: Russ]
Tyber Offline
Sheriff
Enthusiast

Loc: ST. Paul MN
Ireckon,

It would be my thought that the article was written from the perspective of someone who was on the outside of our group. That it was written by someone that was obviously looking in at our group from the outside. Often when reporters do articles on groups they come at them from the perspective of someone on the outside. Even when articles were done on me and other groups I am a part of the writer referred to my groups as "they" and "them." This was simply because the writer wasn't at all part of the group that I was a member of.

With that said not matter what is written about groups or society sub-sets there is always a part of every report that makes members of the group wince and cringe as they read it or watch it.

To me the article will have served it's purpose if it got at least one or two families to think about how to become more prepared and it helps them at lest once.

Tyber.

Edited by Tyber (02/06/12 03:12 PM)

#240617 - 02/06/12 04:54 PM Re: Interesting Reuters article, but ... [Re: Russ]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

The article seems pretty fair to me, insofar as it focuses on a certain portion of the prepper phenomenon. The tone does not strike me as patronizing or judgmental. It is informative. I thought the article ended on a nice common-sense note.

There is something of a preparedness continuum and we all fall somewhere on it - from the peops who may satisfy the Ready.gov 72-hour to those of us with a month or two of supplies, with BOBs, and those who are equipped for years on their own or can be self-sustaining indefinitely.

That continuum largely conforms, in my mind, to what the prepper anticipates as the likeliest threats - with natural disasters on the lower end of prepared to armageddon subscribers on the higher end.

The latter certainly are more fascinating from a media perspective.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 364 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.